D.C PATRIOTS

Started by Talon, July 26, 2022, 12:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Gates

I love what I'm seeing. Everyone came to play last week. I think we had what, two triple doubles? Just fantastic that everyone seemed to be clicking. And now we have a chance for an even bigger statement as we knock them off on the rematch.

I really don't have much else, coach. Unless you had anything about the team you wanted to discuss.

GM Lucas

"I don't want to overthink this, we are in a good spot. We got two games and I think this can tell us if we are who I believe we are or if we are who they believe we are"

GM Gates

Then let's go ahead and sweep this little back to back series.

Lock In

GM Gates

1-Do you think what Paulina Picasso said was tampering or do you think to much is being made about it?

It feels like it was one of those statements that was crafted up with the soul purpose of saying what she wants to say without being exactly tampering. But honestly I think the players know what to expect from both leagues and it just depends what they want to accomplish as a player.

2- What do you think of the season being shortened for what some are thinking may be permanent?

You've got to do what is in the best interest of the league and I'm sure that this potentially permanent change will be handled in terms of what is best. If the shortened season works better, then that will likely stay. If it doesn't, it won't.

3-How do you view your team to this point?

We've been a great defensive team so far, and we just need to continue to improve offensively. Maybe we need to bring in some more offense, maybe we need to work on that from within. But we need to match our defensive game with our offensive game.

4-Address another piece of news

It's good to see GM Justin in the WBS. He's got a good resume of basketball achievements and it will be nice to see how he adapts here. Will probably also be nice for him not to have to rely on someone kicking the ball to win games.

GM Lucas

"We got one game this week and we have to make it count, which ever version of Vancouver shows up we have to be ready for both"

GM Gates

We actually have two games coach - against Vancouver and Manhattan - but either way we need to make the most of our games. Every game is important. I'm trying to make a move to bring in some additional scoring. Wr have a good defensive base but our scoring at times lacks.

If I were to make a move coach, are there certain players you feel just don't fit with the team or the vision that would be expendable or worth upgrading over?

GM Lucas

[Coach looks down at papers in front of him and takes sip of his coffee, he then takes deep breath]

"I guess I got a bit ahead of myself, not like me to overlook any team but that Vancouver game is what stood out as being a team we have to be worried about. Apologies, thank you for the correction. I should know better than to overlook anyone. Getting a little ahead of myself isn't something I do often...or ever for that matter"

GM Gates

Happens to the best of us coach.

In any case, not much to go over really. Aside from me hoping to add to our team, I don't really have much to change or discuss.

GM Gates

Well coach, pulled the trigger to bring Stewart in to the team. Should at least give us some more scoring then what we had before. Obviously he will slot into our starting line ip, and I may have to go out and find someone else to fill the bench.

GM Lucas

"I really liked Darius Byrant but I understand the business. Now let me tell you, Jelani has a huge chip on his shoulder. He doesn't coach or mentor young guys and he hates the media. So, there's that. But!, I think he's on a mission and gives us that extra talent we've been missing down the stretch. He played well with Gilchrist so I don't have any concerns with him playing with Walls. Now he can play both SG and PG but I think it's best we give him a position and let him ride with it so he finds his groove."

GM Gates

For sure coach, losing someone like Bryant sucks but at the same time, it was a move I felt made us better now. Plus we were able to hold onto both of our first round picks to draft someone to fill the void of Bryant.

With how well Brown has been playing at point distributing the ball, I'm inclined to leave Stewart at SG and let him find his groove.

GM Lucas

"Sounds good, he gets them in bunches so letting him go out there and score will benefit us"

GM Gates

With an open roster spot, what position do you think we should bulk up?

GM Lucas

"Preferably someone capable of handling the ball and not turning it over whenever Stewart needs a break,"

GM Gates

You thinking a SF/SG wing or a PG/SG combo guard?

GM Lucas

"I like to lean more on the PG/SG combo"

GM Gates

I'm doing my best to fill the spot with a combo guard who is more than just a place filler, but it's been pulling teeth to get some people to answer their phones. Still working at it though.

GM Lucas

"Let's go out there and do what we need to. We don't need to make everything happen all at once. Maybe it's better we have patience on this matter. Don't want to move hastily and make a move that might hinder us down the stretch"

GM Gates

I guess that makes sense coach. I just didn't want to sign a guy just because. But since it looks like we are coming down to the wire for the week I will look to fill our final roster spot so we can get on with it. Head on back to practice.

—————

Sandra, can you get me Mizz Shown please?

—————

Hello, I am looking to sign your client Shannon Bestor for the rest of this season. How does a deal worth $1 million sound?

GM Lucas

"My client cares about playing time, so he'll take that low ball offer if you can guarantee him at least 8-10 minutes or more, that's a deal because you are getting someone who has been overlooked and underplayed since he was drafted last season. If that's a deal then don't call me back just send it to league office and I'll have him on the next flight."

{Hangs up abruptly}

GM Gates

Coach Reyes please.

————

Coach, I brought in Shannon Bestor to hopefully do more here the he was doing in Manhattan. Let's try and make sure to get him some minutes here and there when we can.

GM Lucas

"He's a good kid. Was solid in college, a spark plug who could handle the ball. He's going to need some playing to mature into our offense, the kid has been on the bench for a year and a half. Hopefully playing behind Stewart who we recently traded for helped his game. He had two good teachers in Stewart and Gilchrist"

GM Gates

Let's hope so. He may just need more then the 2 minutes a game he was getting so maybe we get him more than that.

Anyways coach let's lock in for the week.

—————

Jelani Stewart to starting SG
Shannon Bestor to come off bench as coaches see fit
Minutes to be distributed by coaching staff

Lock In

GM Gates

It was a good week. We were hoping for the perfect week but we let Black Rock get back into it and they eventually took over but it was still a fantastic week. Our new additions worked well with the rest of the team and we started to show a bit more scoring chops. But we continued to play some good defence for the most part and came away with a 2-1 week.

You all probably want to know who we are thinking of sending to the all star game. It's an honor to be sent so we aren't going to make a rash choice. We've got a bunch of great athletes on this team so no matter who we choose, I am certain they will represent the DC Patriots and the WBS well.

Coming up we've got another slate of games that will once again test us. Seattle, Black Rock and Oakland. We get a chance to avenge the loss last week plus two other games that will test our team. But we are playing some great basketball right now and are going to continue to do that this week.

GM Lucas

"Stewart paying dividends quickly. Glad there was no acclimating period. I think he may be the missing piece to a very successful season."

GM Gates

That was the hope. We had a great team before the addition of Stewart, we just seemed to lack a bit of scoring so hopefully the results this week continue.

I will ask, is our optimal lineup the one that ran this week? I didn't anticipate Tarver to get into the starting lineup like he did.

GM Lucas

"I'm strictly going with the hot hand and right now with Stewart on the floor, there seems to be some chemistry between he and Tarver so I'm going to go with the hot hand"

GM Gates

Oh for sure, need to have the best set up out there to start the game to maximize our chance to win.

GM Lucas

"Barring any unsuspected mishaps, that's the plan"

GM Gates

Excellent coach. I'll let you get to practice.

————

Jelani Stewart please.

————

Mr. Stewart, welcome to DC great first week here, you've definitely given us a boost since your arrival. Seems like you've fit in well with what we lresdy had going here and that is fantastic to see.

GM Lucas

"I'm going to keep real with you, everyone here knows their job and that's number 1 in my book. Coach knows how to talk to men, keeps everyone accountable and doesn't treat us like kids and that goes a long way for me. With me and my boy Tarver on the court and Walls and Cardinal doing their thing, I don't think no one in the league is ready for us."

GM Gates

That's the stuff I love to hear. Love what I'm seeing on the court from all of you and you're right, the league isn't ready for us once everyone gets cooking. Thanks for stopping by, head on back to practice.

————

No changes from last week.

Lock In

GM Gates

1. We 8 weeks in, are you happy with the way your team is playing.

Any time you go 3-0 in a week it's a good week. The team came ready to play each game and we're able to put away some tough opponents to get the wins. And we had some great performances to do so. Fonseca deserves his recognition for his triple double with points, rebounds an blocks, a rare feat. Johnny Walls nearly had the same feat against Seattle, falling 2 blocks shy. This team finds the way to win games and every player on this team can do it in many different ways. It was great to see this team have such a great week. But the season isn't over yet.

2. We have seen some trades turn things around for some teams, do you see yourselves as buyers, sellers or staying pat as we get closer

Well we have already been buyers, bringing in Jelani Stewart recently to help bolster this team. I'd love to do a little bit more to round the team out even more but I'd say the big splash was probably already done there.

3. What do you think of GM Franchise now owning the Bar Harbor Storm, is that something you would pursue if the opportunity presented itself.

Owning a team is much different then being the GM and my first thought was how much attention will Franchise be able to keep on the GM side when he has to deal with the Owner stuff too. I'd have to say I'm undecided on whether I'd want that role at least the way Franchise is doing it. If I were going to own a team, I'd probably make sure there was another person there to help with the GM side of things, even if just in an assistant capacity.

4. Besides your own player and Derion Williams who have already been announced, who would you like to see represent each team in the World All Star Game.

I think it's safe to say that we will find out who else will represent the WBS in coming days and weeks, but hopefully one of them is Maryjan. I'm sure it's hit the news cycle that we've selected Johnny Walls as our representative, which I feel is a very deserving honor. He's been great for us this season in helping to lead this franchise to the top.

GM Lucas

GM Gates

It was a fantastic week, coach. And I'd like to echo what the players are saying. What you're doing getting them ready for each game and putting them in positions to succeed is fantastic. You're getting the most out of these guys.

GM Lucas

"Well, you giving me the freedom to actually work with these guys is key. now a lot of GM's give their coaches freedom to really dig in so thank you for that"

GM Gates

You're welcome coach.

Now I'm not just satisfied being the hot team of the week or the month. I want to win the championship at the end of the season.

So what do we need to elevate this team from great to champions? Is there a certain position we should improve on or just add more depth too?

GM Lucas

"We are very balanced in roster depth and balance with the scheme that works with our roster. we have guys who do their job at every position. If we could get stacks more involved when Fonseca needs rest and maybe start seeing what we have in Lannister and Minton, it could only benefit us down the stretch. But we are good. I will never say no to getting another amazing talent but that would only create issues with playing time and right now our locker room moral is high, guys like each other, they are playing well and communicating so no need to rock the boat."

GM Gates

Fantastic. I will keep my ear open for something big if it comes along but won't seem it out to rock the boat.

Alright coach thanks for the talk. I'll let you head to practice.

——————

Sandra, can you send in Xavier Fonseca?

——————

Xavier! Fantastic week! Player of the week honors as well, fantastic. And to cap it off with that triple double was fantastic. I just wanted to bring you in and give you the recognition for not only a great week but for how you've been playing all season.

GM Lucas

"Thanks boss. It's been a heck of a ride. I thank you all involved for believing in me. I know in a league where teams are scoring 140 points, putting your trust in a defensive player can be difficult, but you guys did so all I can do is thank you with my play on the court. Can't wait until I get to shut down my baby brother"

GM Gates

Can't wait for that. Add a little drama to the family get togethers.

Just keep up the great work, and everyone who passed on your defense will be hating themselves for doing so.

Head on back to practice.

——————

Sandra, I believe that is all for this week. Let the coaching staff know we are all ready to roll.

——————

No changes from last week.

Lock In

GM Gates

It was another great week in DC. We won all our games and now sit right on the heels of Motor City for the division lead.

Of course the big story is Coach Reyes getting ejected. I love to see the fire and passion that he shows. And I think the team does too.

I believe we have 1 game this week, and we will make the most of it and keep this great season going.

GM Lucas

"I apologize for the outburst. Not something I pride myself in doing. From where I was sitting, they were behaving on a bush league level and I started to see how they were pivoting and flailing their arms almost indirectly trying to cause injuries and I will be damned if I let that go. That team in Mexico is unprofessional. That surprising because I respect their coach Peck so I have to believe it's Vinson who has them playing that way"

GM Gates

It was definitely a chippy game that's for sure. And I understand that you don't pride yourself on it but sometimes it happens and comes out and I, personally, didn't have an issue with it because it showed some fire.

In any case, another great week coach. Seems like all the guys know what's expected of them and every game seems like someone else is taking the spotlight.

GM Lucas

"Guys locked into a role and are all in. Cardinal used to be one of the leagues top scoring big men. The ball went through him, the fact that he's taken a step back at the number 2 and now with Jelani, the number 3 shows his leadership. Everyone is tapping into what they do well and locking in."

GM Gates

That is awesome to hear. Everyone can see what is possible and is willing to do what it takes. Love it.

Anyway coach, I don't see a reason to mess with anything.

Lock In

GM Gates

That was a great game. Everyone was firing on all cylinders and we brought home a victory against a tough team.

Now this is our catch up week where we play four games to help narrow the difference between us and teams that have played 25 games.

But I'm not worried about playing 4 games. This team has been working well together, they've been challenging each other to be better each game and have all stepped up huge. And that's what we are going to keep doing. It's what I expect to see them do and what I know they want to do. This team is filled with ballers and competitors who want not only the top spot but the championship at the end of it.

We started to hit that stride when we brought Stewart in and we haven't looked back. And we aren't going to look back.

GM Lucas

"Now we have to plant our flag and stay in first"

GM Gates

I have no doubts about that Coach. This team is on a whole bother level compared to some of these other teams. At this point it's just about keeping it going I think.

GM Lucas

"Nothing to think about, you are 100% correct. We've been winning so wining always makes things smell, taste and look better. Let's stay grounded so if there is a hiccup along the way, it's not a shock to the system. Even Keel"