S8: Oakland Hustle 40-41 (4TH)
S9: Oakland Hustle 32-49 (5TH)
S10: Oakland Hustle 35-46 (4TH)
S(11) Oakland Hustle 54-27 (1st)*

Playoff Appearances:
S(11) WBS Champions

RETIRED NUMBERS:
None

"This game is half hustle, half chance and all smarts. I don't play no mess. All business, I need AMBITIONZ az a ridah and I need a GM who wanna do for the love of the game. As sole owner Ihave final say but I also got investors and backers who want Oakland to be known for more then just gang banging so if you gonna take this job, we got to keep it neat, clean and make sure business comes first. I got eyes on you because Oakland got all eyes on us. These boys out here want to get paid, can't be mad about that and I'm wit you doing what needs to be done, you feel me!" - Shakur Crooks

GM Gooch

Mr. Crooks, my name is Buckson Gooch. I'm interested in building Oakland into a perennial contender. It will take some time and effort, but I feel we can make it. 

GM Lucas

"Ok, first off, wassup big man, look, I'ma keep it real, I don't want Oakland in the cellar anymore you feel me. We have sucked for sometime now. My ex-partners didn't do a great job making this team a contender. I feel sick that we have a talented player in J.J Smith who has been with us for 10 years with nothing to show for it. J.J has poured his entire life into this team so let's not reward him with dumping him. If he wants to go to a contender, he'll let you know so have that conversation first, Any questions?" 

GM Gooch

No questions, sir. I'll address Mr. Smith as my first order of business.

GM Lucas

"Ayight big man, team secretary, Ms Divine will take care of anything you need moving forward, unfortunately that can't happen until this audit happens so sit tight. You'll get all your paper work sometime next week, ya feel me. Make yourself at home, You a ridah now playah, oh, one more thing, if you gonna go walk around, be careful what colors you wear, Ya Heard!, I don't need my new GM gettin wasted out here in these streets.!"

GM Lucas

"OK now playa, listen up closely because I don't like repeating myself so let's get to it. you have $6,276,884, Now you need to sign 9 players. That's right, a lot of guys just-upt and left once they could opt out. We were a bit surprise that JJ left us but I think he's waiting for a better offer. Now he has ben a staple here for ten years but rather you bring him back or not is solely your choice. We have a good starting five but we  obviously haven't won anything so....figure it out. We have some solid coaches but it's best you talk to them to figure out if it works for your plan. Mr Crooks laid out some cash for your pre draft sheet but you will get that when you get your FA sheet and coach sheet. Any questions, don't make go on my break then you start calling for me"

GM Lucas

"Hey big boy, the draft class is out. Make use of it. All the rules on how to go about this is in your rules folder. Email me your names(DM). Let's get this going. Ask me anything before you start clicking enter, let's get it!"

GM Gooch

I may offer JJ but it sounds like he wants to see what offers are out there.

So I have $6mm to scout with? What is the going rate for a scouting report here in WBS?

GM Gooch

GM Gooch ruffles through his papers and finds the answer before she has a chance to respond.

Aha, I've found it. Could you get me in touch with J.J. Smith?
--------------
J.J., thanks for taking my call, this is GM Buckson Gooch, the new GM in Oakland. This call is a courtesy for the years of diligence you've put into this franchise. I just wanted to see if you had any interest in returning with us. I'm a team builder and I believe we can achieve some great things in a few seasons if you wanted to be a part of that.

GM Lucas

"Sorry big guy, I can't do that, if he was on our team it wouldn't be an issue but as a free agent you have to go through his agent. Never call a player who is a free agent without going through there agent. We will be fined. Now if you want to contact his agent, her name is Mizz Shown, good luck"

GM Lucas

"Okay big man, check it. Your first round pick was fire, after you traded away Pabcevic we were worried but Boss thinks you made up for it getting Lucas, the pick after raised some eye brows, but we trust you. So let's talk right here and right now, League deadline for early free agent offers is this Wednesday,  October 12th, 11:59 EST. Along with that, you have to tell me who you want to send to Summer camp. They have to be either a rookie or a 1st year player. Look at your roster sheet that I sent you and let me know by Friday October 14th. 11L59 EST, let's get to it"

GM Gooch

I sent my free agency bids in.

I'd like to have the following attend summer league:
SG - Lucas Fonseca
SF - Lincoln Hollis

GM Gooch

Can you get me in touch with my coach?
-----------------------
Hey Coach. Missed out on a free agent we were really going for. Who is out there that is a defensive game changer. I really want a lock down defensive guy.

GM Lucas

"Well nice to finally meet you. It would have been nice to have this conversation before free agency but we didn't so, here we are. Let's move forward, you have to determine what type of defender you want. There's some great guys out there who play lock down but can't get a steal. There's some shot blockers out there but that's the level in which they defend. Then you got your board crashers and finally you guys who force the other guy into turn over's. For us, We have an absolute defensive wizard out there. His name is Rory Sylla, he's a power forward and his defensive is unmeasurable, but that is all he does. He finds himself in good position to get put backs and pay ups but he does nothing else but defend. You want a guy who can defend and get steals, 6'7 rookie shooting guard, rookie John Pepper was a dead stop in college. What makes him a great defender is the guy is off the wall smart and makes great decisions but he has no offensive ability what so ever. Now, If you want that middle of the line guy, the guy who kind of does everything pretty good and nothing great then look at Guard Ben Hess. He won't win your any titles but he won't hurt you either. Good guy to put in when trying to hold a lead. Listen, no need to worry about who we missed out on. We are loaded with talent, We just don't have names that are all over WBS billboards, well now we do with Lucas but we have good talent. Even Lincoln Hollis who I had no hope for really impressed me in the summer league. You are doing ok. we have some real good defenders already with Thorton, Kraljevic and Mitchell"

GM Gooch

First meeting and you are already putting my mind at ease, Coach.

Where would you say our biggest weaknesses are and who would you suggest be the players to fill those?

GM Lucas

"We need a center, Faulker is great down low in the post but we could use another center, maybe more traditional big man who can throw it down. Maybe even a big power forward we can convert. But we only have one center on the roster, so I would say focus on some big men down low. I mean, I'm not going to sit here and rattle off names because I'm not familiar with every player in the league but at 7'4 Zach Shepard is a force. But I'll tell you now, I tried to acquire him a few years ago and that guy is only about the money, so get ready to pay up. His agent is KGB"

GM Gooch

Let me try to do that and I'll touch base with you after.
-------------
Please get me in touch with KGB.
-------------
Hello. Id like to sign Zach Shepard here with us in Oakland to play alongside Lucas. Would a 2 year deal at $8mm make it happen?

GM Lucas

"Sir, I just got a call from an angry KGB, we are still in offer stage. After this day we will be able to free for all but right now agents are only taking offers through offer sheet the way we've been doing it"

GM Gooch

Wow, bummer. Thanks for talking to them.

GM Gooch

I'd like to talk to John Pepper's agent.
-----------------
Hello. My Coach had some glowing things to say about Mr. Pepper. I'd like to invest in him. How does 1 year at $1mm sound to bring him to Oakland?

GM Lucas

"Sir, his agent just called and told me to relay the message that as of 12am midnight, John Pepper has committed to a deal to play for France due to the lack of interest during the first three days. "

GM Gooch

GM Lucas

"Don't be so hard on yourself big man. You have put together a good team. And listen, if it makes you feel better, word I'm hearing from Mr. Crooks is that he convinced J.J Smith to come back and play for another year for your offer"

GM Gooch

Woohoo!!!! I'll league office that asap!

GM Gooch

Will you get me in contact with the rep for Williams Gannon?
---------
I'd like to bring Mr. Gannon in on a two year deal worth $1mm to play in Oakland. Does that work for you?

GM Lucas

"Good evening, I'm Tom Parker, Mr Gannon's agent. He accepts your terms"

GM Gooch

Excellent! Glad he's on board!
-------------------------------------
Let's get ready to lock in! Wooooo!
-------------------------------------

LOCK IN OAKLAND
----------------------
Preseason Workouts:
1. Lucas Fonseca - Basketball IQ
2. Zach Shepard - Inside Scoring
3. Vojislav Kraljevic - Rebounding

-----------------------
Team Captain -
Lucas Fonseca

--------------------------
Positions: (Coach Sets Minutes)
PG - Troy Mitchell
SG - Lucas Fonseca
SF - Sherman Thornton
PF - Vojislav Kraljevic
C - Zach Shepard
#1 - JJ Smith
#2 - James Virgil
#3 - Lincoln Hollis
#4 - Shannon Bestor
#5 - Nathan O'Bannon
#6 - Dwayne Faulkner
#7 - Williams Gannon

-----------------------------------------
Offensive Schemes - Balanced
Defensive Scheme - Coach's Choice

GM Lucas

"Well, well, well. We struck gold there big man. two big wins against rivals. We just didn't win, we won big. This team looks incredibly put together and ready to play. I'm excited, the town is buzzing and that kid Lucas is the real deal Holyfield. Here's your team sheet, all your info is there. Good job GM Gooch"

GM Gooch

1. How did you feel about the sudden amendments to the salary issues the league was having. Did the change help or hurt you in your process.
Didn't bother me and didn't hurt my process.

2. What were your thoughts when you put your roster together and what are they now after two games.

We have a chance to do something special this year in Oakland. I just feel it.

3. Who surprised you and who are you hoping comes around

Lucas really showed out. I knew he would be good, but this good? He's an explosive player that I'm excited to see more of. I don't have anyone that I'd like to see play better because we played well as a team and won our games.

4. What team do you think will be your biggest challenge in your division

I'll have to tell you the further we get into the season. Everyone is starting fresh and finding who does well will be a process.

5. What do you think of your very first opponent

The better question is what do I think about my team. We have to focus on us before we can really get our focus on someone else. If we get our footing, I feel like we can beat anyone.

6. Any news around the league stood out to you.

Tobias Brown's comments about already being the best 6th man in the league made me raise an eyebrow. We will see how he does as things get going.

GM Lucas

"Would you like to elaborate on why Tobias Brown's comments made you raise an eye brow, do you have someone else in mind who can be the best 6th man in the league"

GM Gooch

To me, J.J. Smith is a lock to get 6th man. So it raised an eyebrow to me.

GM Lucas

"J.J. Appreciated your support. You have created a buzz in Oakland that hasn't been seen before big man. We got three games this week, we go to hot, humid dusty Nevada to play Black Rock then we open at home against the two time defending champs"

GM Gooch

Sounds like a challenging week to show what we are made of.

GM Gooch

Can you get me in touch with Coach?
-------------------------
Great showing in the preseason. What do you like most about our team?

GM Lucas

" It's nice to draw up schemes and strategies and have them be executed properly. They did what was expected and beyond. Now, if there is one thing I can point out about what I like about our make up is that there are no ego's from the veterans. No one is complaining about the rookie Fonseca taking over or always needing the ball, YET!. I also really like that the team has rallied around J.J. Smith and are on a mission to not only win a title for Oakland but have him go out a winner and that is huge. Guys from around the league and rookies alike who joined this team are on one mission and I don't know if it was strategic by J.J. to announce it right before preseason or not, but hey. It's working"

GM Gooch

I'll take it. I like that our team is already on the same page. We want to have the best team in Oakland history.

I'm ready to get some regular season games under our belt and see what we are looking at. Do you see any need for adjustments?

GM Lucas

"You might wanna talk to a few guys. I have heard rumors that some guys think I'm favoring other guys. During practice yesterday, I drew up a scheme and felt totally ignored by Troy Mitchell and Sherman Thornton. I tired to ask Thornton what was the conversation about and he walked away from me, it's not like him o do that. He's been our ace so to see him act that way is concerning. My assistant Kevin Harris told me that Gannon is pissed at me for decreasing his minutes during preseason. Not sure how that's gonna affect us but you can see it in practice. You might wanna poke around, maybe have a convo with some of these guys but for now I'm gonna let let it be. I don't have time for pettiness"

GM Gooch

Sounds good. I'll talk to a few of the guys.
------------------------
Please get me in touch with Sherman Thornton.
------------------------
Sherman, thanks for stopping by. We seemed to gel well in the preseason throwing up a lot of points. I know Coach is pleased. I know I'm pleased, but how are the players feeling, how are you feeling in particular?

GM Lucas

"Everyone's pleased? who said, coach? ok, how do I put this. Between you and I, and I hope it stays here. A lot of the players were hoping you canned coach Wallace. He's been here a few years and , like he's good breaking down offenses and defensive schemes but he doesn't know how to adapt to in game situations. What ever we are doing at the start we will do at the end despite the situation. I liked that kid Hollis, when he got here it was like coach wanted nothing to do with him, but all that kid has done has been ball. That kid Bestor needs a lot of work but coach seems to love that kid even though personally I'm not sure if the kid is cut out for this. It is clear he's in love with Fonseca, I mean the kid could ball, but it feels like now it's Fonseca and the Oakland players. That's not right, I've been here giving it my all the entire time. J.J. left because of him and didn't want to come back because of him. The guys are just feeling like no matter who you bring in, if we win it's gonna be in spite of coach. Oh and GM Gooch, coach says you made Fonseca the captain. The kid is good, no doubt, but he's a rookie. J.J. and I have been captains and the guys respond well to us. I don't know how they are gonna respond to Fonseca. We all like him, kid works hard but he has no experience, it might be to much for him. So yeah. Coach saying everything is all good is because coach has his head up his ass and only has eyes for one guy. We all want to win, there's gonna come a point where we are in a situation and the team will look at each other and decide what's best to do in the situation."

GM Gooch

That's a lot to unpack, my man. But what we have a situation of is we need to make chicken salad out of chicken feed. I'm not firing the coach and I'm not taking the captain hat off of Lucas, it's way too early for that. I need you and J.J. to train him up in your image. Help him be a leader that players will follow.

I believe Oakland has the best team that we've ever fielded this year. I need you to buy in and try to make the best of it. We can talk changes later, but just beginning, I need a good faith effort to make this work. 

GM Lucas

"Nah man, you got it all wrong. We don't want any major changes now. I'm not suggesting we fire the coach now, just letting you know that most of the guys are fed up with some of coaches nonsense. Also, No one is saying to take the hat off of Fonseca, just letting you know, don't be surprise if the kid struggles with the title. And this thing about buying in, I'm already in bro. Always have been in for Oakland, we are all in because we see what we can do this year. You wanted to know what was going on, I told you. This way nothing comes as a surprise later on. Check it, I'm going to head out and keep practicing, Um, yeah...See ya around boss"

GM Gooch

Thank you for being so clear with me. I appreciate it and I hear you.
-----
No changes

Lock in

GM Gooch

1. Discuss your week 1 results

I think we had a good showing. If it hadn't been for a dirty play, we may be sitting at 3-0, but we played hard no matter what. I'm impressed with this team already.

2. How are you dealing with or trying to avoid injuries this so far?

Hard work in practice helps keep guys in shape to avoid injuries during games.

3. Word is coming down from the league that no penalties will be handed out for the Scuffle between Hingle and Maryjan because no punches were thrown, your thoughts?

The fact that it got physical should have some repercussions or we are going to see WBS turn into professional wrestling mixed with basketball. Guys can wrestle around but as long as they don't throw punches there won't be any issues? I don't like that.

4. After seeing your team play this first week, how are you going to approach next weeks opponents?

The same way we did this week. We play our best basketball and our best basketball is high level basketball.

5. Discuss any other news from around the league.

Chris Stone needs to be fined for his poor play. That was completely uncalled for and unsportsmanlike and resulted in one of my players getting injured. The league shouldn't allow it.

GM Lucas

"Without one of our best players in Thorton the guys stepped up, but what really helped, was the team play by Fonseca, he seemed ok with me subbing him out to get more defensive bigs in the game when we needed it which lead to a 69-49 rebounding difference. Kids a team player. Love that kids play so far"

GM Gooch

As do I.

Did you see him having a 50+ point game this early in the season? Wow!

GM Lucas

"The kids got it, he responds well to instruction, wish I could say the same about some of the guys on the team. Regardless, as long as they are out there busting their ass and we are winning, that's all I care about at the moment"

GM Gooch

Let's keep making winning a habit. Keep up the good work, Coach.
----------
No changes

Lock In

GM Gooch

1. Discuss your results

As the news stated, we are off to a 7-1 start, the best in our franchise's history. We are going to have to continue to ride this momentum and not take our foot off the gas. Play hard. Stay healthy. I want to see us play with this fire for the rest of the season and into the playoffs.

2. What do you think about the situation between Smokey Mountain and Texas

Looks like a rivalry in the making. When the owners start getting into it, it raises the stakes that much higher. I just hope they don't do too much that it distracts from the game of basketball. That would be the only downside.

4. What do you think about the All Star game options

I'd like to see the All Star game go to a neutral site. That's just me though.

5. Talk about any other news

I think we are just settling into the playing ball this season and that defenses are getting their wits about them. We are going to see defense getting better as time goes on.

GM Lucas

"These guys are coming together. I think bringing JJ back really helps ground a lot of the young players. There's excitement in those practices. or what it's worth I can say I was wrong about that kid Hollis, he's really made me rethink how I scout and assess young players. Lucas is really being sponge, for a kid who can ball probably better than half the guys in the league he doesn't let it get to him. Humble kid who listen to everyone, even his fellow rookies peers. I thought for sure his brash attitude from college would be something to handle but he's been the complete opposite. I can't say enough good things about the kid"

GM Gooch

That is music to my ears, Coach. How is Thornton doing?