ANCHORAGE BRUINS [GM YOUNT]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 10:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Dario

If I decide to move AMac, I might look at Slinger, but AMac is my QB right now.

Talon

Alright Chief, here is where we are.   This season has been frustrating as hell and I don't see anyone doing any work to fix it.   Luce's offense is okay, I guess but  Graham is a defensive guy but this defense is playing like shit.  38 points per game, man.  How am I supposed to drag a team along if we have to score 40 a game just to balance things out??

GM Dario

I'm with ya on this.  We aren't built to score 40 a night with what we have, at the moment. and we should be better than 38 on the D side as well, at the moment.

And then we play the game of - Personnel, Coachin', Scheme, or all three?

That's a game I gotta figure out.

I get the frustration, Alejandro. I'm up to here with it as well. Let me do what I can with what we got without blowin' up the whole dang thing. Let's see what we can do against MC with some scheme and coachin' tweaks. If that doesn't get that Dub, we'll take that next step, ok?

Talon

I'm not saying win or trade me, I'm just saying we need to hold people accountable.  I know you want to win too, just need to make it work.

GM Dario

I gotcha.  Head back to Practice. I'll get to work on this.

Shay, I need Coach Graham please.

Coach.  just what the hell are we missin' here? 

We're gettin' no pressure on the QB, have 7 sacks, can't stop the run, and 3 Picks... in 5 games.

Lost Plunkett, Brought in Bryant.
Lost Blodgett, Moved Brandon, brought in Rose and Soliman.
Re-signed Stones to build up the secondary.

Everythin' else is the same. Other than Coach Shoes isn't makin' the play calls, you are.
Is losin' Coach Amaya been that big a difference? Is Coach Shoes not makin' the play calls a game changer? Is it the staff or the scheme? I'd say somethin' about it bein' on the players if we made wholesale changes, but we didn't.  I wouldn't think all of these minor tweaks would rock the boat but damn, we're 0-5, and lost the last two in the final minute.

I'm one more loss from havin' a damn mutiny on our hands, so just what the hell is it??

Talon

Losing Blodgett and Plunkett were big changes to the glue of our defense.  Thompson has a future, but he's not ready to be a star right out of the gate and Butler isn't proving to be a game changer.  Look at this defensive roster and show me a game changer.  Rose is still but we don't have any stars. Alcantar and Stones are both probably CB2 at best on most rosters aren't they? Are Myles or Marks LB1 anywhere outside of Dallas?  I don't know because I don't know the whole league inside and out, but where is our playmaker?  Even worse, if you point ONE out to me, show me another team with only ONE of those guys, man.

GM Dario

Got it Coach...

I'll be back in touch.

Shay, I need the High Chief.

Chief, according to Coach Graham, I've stuffed the defensive side of the roster with players that aren't quite the playmakers and star power that we need to turn this year around. I've also shafted the future pretty badly with tradin' away our next two firsts and not gettin' that star we hoped for. And to get the star power we need, it's gonna cost us parts of the offense we've built up.

This is all on me, not the staff, not the players, not Shay. I messed it up and I'm willin' to take the hit on it.

So I'm askin' for a mulligan this year. I wanna dismantle the roster from top to bottom, try to get picks and quality talent in return so we can start fresh in season 18 and basically scrap this year.

I know it's not what you wanna hear. I know it's not what I wanna say. But the roster I built in the offseason, per Coach, won't win us enough games as it sits to make .500, let alone the playoffs. You mentioned before the Charlotte game, I needed to make changes.  I'm askin' permission to make those changes.

Whatever decision you wanna make, I completely understand the outcome.

Talon

Here is what I must be able to deliver to the Great Sky Bear when he comes asking..

If we "punt" this season and I give you a year to prove you can fix this mistake.  What are you promising to me, what are you promising to the Sky Bear?   Do we let you tear it down just to hope for a wild card?  Are you going to deliver a division championship?     Or would the Great Sky Bear find it better to let you go now and find someone who can do more?

GM Dario

Hostin' a playoff game with a Division Title or a Win in the Playoffs on the road.

Anythin' less, and I'll walk, Chief.

Talon

I must consult with the Great Sky Bear... I will fill the Alter with the strongest of my people's herbs and I will get the answer next week.

GM Dario

Understood, High Chief

Appreciate the candor as always.

Shay,  make sure my thinkin' is right for me-
FG contracts need the player or agent's agreement to be traded?
And at the moment we have on FG:
Ruben LaPorta with 1 year left
Ira BigBear and Myles Jack with 2 years left
Kieran Stones with 3 years left.

Talon

I only have Myles FG'd if he accepts his player option in the off-season, but yes to the rest.

GM Dario

Our records match up then, Shay. Thanks for verifyin'.  Let's talk with Coach Graham please.

Coach, since we have a bunch of planets and no stars on the SkyBear defense, we're gonna have to get creative to force Music City into mistakes.  I see two angles of play- Bend but don't Break or Blitz and Pray. 

We can play ultra conservative and basically play prevent before the redzone. Or we can send 5 and 6 and leave the secondary on islands to try and generate turnovers.

Would it be possible to just put our best 11, regardless of position on the field to try to make it work? Maybe playing more Nickel or Dime instead of base 4-3? 

Talon

I am willing to give that a shot. I think we're better to dial back the aggression since we've not see it work up until now, but I will try whatever it takes.  I know all of our asses are on the line, so just going with the same shit and getting the same result clearly isn't working.

GM Dario

Ok, so let's dial back to Conservative on the aggression. Should we play more Nickel, perhaps a 3-3-5, pulling a DT to get Brookins out in the secondary? We can pull the matchup and let the corners play areas/sides instead. I saw Brookins lit up the stat sheet instead of Alcantar. Was there an injury or Coach Choice?

Koenig is Questionable so I'd like to give Fullerton a shot at DT2 beside of LaPorta if we go to 4 across the DL.

With Stinnett injured, I saw Roth get some PT. Would we be better to go with Roth or Donn Brown at RT1 against Music City?

Talon

Brown is a slightly more balanced blocker, Roth is also balanced but more athletic in the run game.

Alcantar missed the game with an illness last week, he's fine now.

If we run a 3-3-5 I'd go Fullerton at NT during the run downs and Big Bear on passing downs to give Thompson more chances at DE.

Talon

I'm going to do a special playbook for this 3-3-5 trial.  Do you want more Cover 1, Cover 2, or Cover 3 as the primary coverage?

GM Dario

We'll make Roth the RT1 for now. Brown can be the Swing Tackle. I'll note that in the lock in.

I like the idea of Fullerton going to the NT in the 3-3-5.
With Passin' downs, you're thinkin' of going Thompson, BigBear, Butler across the DL to get the pass rush goin'?

And Cover 2 would make sense as the base for the 3-3-5. Soliman and Rose should be able to patrol the middle with Brookins, Alcantar and Stones watchin' the underneath. 

LB wise, it's Marks and Brandon outside with Jack in the middle, correct?

Talon

In this new look I'd like to push Jack outside and put Marks in the middle.

GM Dario

Ok, I think that's solid.

On Offensive, do you think it would make sense to switch Tempo down from Fast to Normal or Slow to control ToP and keep the D off the field as much as it has been?

Talon

Yes, I think it helps us limit some mistakes too and keep guys from fatiguing out.

GM Dario

Gotcha Coach. Let's see if we can't mess around and get a Dub outta this.

Offensive Tempo to Slow

RT1 Roth
LT2/RT2 Brown
Stinnett Inactive

Defensive Formation to 3-3-5 w/ Cover 2 Base
Defensive Aggression to Conservative.

Run Downs-
Fullerton to NT1
Laporta to NT2
Koenig to NT3 if available
Swanson to NT4

BigBear, Butler, Thompson to DE1/2/3

BigBear to NT1 on Passing Downs.
Thompson DE1
Butler to DE2

OLB Jack
OLB Brandon
MLB Marks

Brookins, Alcantar, Stones to CB1/2/3

CB Match to Receiver - No

*** LOCKED IN BABY!!! ***

GM Dario

S17 - WEEK 6 POST GAME PRESS CONFERENCE

Well there's a doughnut gone from the Dub column but mannnnnnn, style points be damned with that dub. Took Extra time but the guys persevered and we escaped the chaos with a 12-9 victory against Music City.

Just gonna hit some random thoughts here-

Bend but don't break worked and we kept Pond and company out of the end zone.

Thought AMac had a solid show with an open pass style.

We ran the ball enough to keep the pace and even up the ToP.

Really liked how Atherton took a step up this week.

Brookins had two picks in the game and I get like he was like stickum in the secondary

Lost Fullerton for a couple weeks but I though he was potent in the new look D.

The LBs took a lot of punishment on those tackles but it def worked out.

And the Mongolian did yeomans work to help flip the field .

Bowlin' Shoe Ugly but it's a mark in the W column, not another L.

Chatter from the box says we're gonna rebuild in KC. The $64 Q is if I'm a part of it or not. We've got some options to work with, if I get to run with it, 53 on the roster and basically I know only 1 who isn't on the block at the moment. And even I might be if the trade value is right.

But I'm also gonna talk with everyone on the roster and their agents before I make any lists or take any offers. I brought guys and gals into SkyBear Country not to just ship them off for magic beans and well wishes.

Any questions from y'all?

Talon

Heyy, so... Mr. Danzer sent for you.  He said to tell you "to bring only what is necessary."  ...whatever that means.

...um, good luck?

GM Dario

Thanks Shay,

*Dario picks up a notepad and a pen from Shay's Desk*

Imma return these when I'm done. Hopefully it's gonna have lots of notes of what we gotta do.

Chief,   Wasn't pretty but we got outta the winless column.

I'm here as requested, with what's necessary.

Talon

AS YOU ENTER THE ROOM, THE LIGHTS SHUT OFF.   SLOWLY THE SOUND OF A DRUM BEGINS TO BUILD IN VOLUME AS A SMALL SPARK IN THE CENTER OF THE ROOM IGNITES A SMALL CONTAINED FIRE.

SITTING BEHIND THAT FIRE IN FULL HEAD DRESS AND PAINT, SITS BEHR DANZER.

Come GM Dario. Sit by the fire...

Tell me, what you brought with you and why.

GM Dario

Dario sits opposite of the High Chief, the fire between them.

I brought a pen and a blank notepad that I borrowed from my trusted advisor and secretary, Shay.

The plans for the Skybear's Team I made before now, haven't worked unfortunately , so I'm ready to start from scratch.

I'm willin' to open my mind to all options available, by startin' with an empty sheet.

Talon

Interesting.  I need you to think beyond the paper, beyond your own physical form.   For this journey, you must be open to truly experiencing the power of the Great Sky Bear.

...Are you prepared?

GM Dario

Dario looks at the fire then his pen and paper. He sets them aside then stares into the fire..

My mind is open, Chief. I have nothin' to fear. Nothin' to lose.
I open my thoughts and beliefs completely to the SkyBear.
The SkyBear's word... is absolute.

Talon

Close your eyes and breathe deeply.  This journey begins now.

EVERY ANSWER YOU GIVE FROM THIS POINT FORWARD WILL HAVE A DIRECT IMPACT ON YOUR SUCCESS IN KEEPING YOUR JOB.

Talon

MR. DANZER POURS A POWDER ONTO THE FIRE AND SUDDENLY THE FLAMES GROW, THE FLAMES TURN A SHADE OF GREEN AS SMOKE SPREADS THROUGHOUT THE ROOM.   DANZER ENHALES DEEPLY AND LETS OUT A GROWL.

Now... We are standing on one of the great hills, GM Dario.  From this hill one can see many animals in the lowlands below.  What animal do you see?

GM Dario

Eyes are closed by Dario as he relaxes, breathin' deeply as the High Chief says. He notices the heat of the flames intensifyin' slightly, but keeps his eyes closed. .

The first animal that I see is a Bear Cub.

Talon

...The cub represents a child.  Your child?  Your inner child?  Whatever it may be, seeing this means you are struggling to let that child go..  Is there a rookie you are concerned with?  A young player?

...Do not answer. That is for you to interpret on your own.

Look to the sky and tell me what is there.

GM Dario

Dario tilts his head upwards, searchin', but strugglin' to find anythin'.  He exhales slowly lowerin' his head, then looks upwards again and then to the right....

There's a Hawk in the distance, glidin' in a slow circle.

Talon

Good..  A guide from the sky that will lead us on this journey.    Now you need to listen to me very carefully.  I am about to take you out of your physical body.    Breathe deep and let go of your inhibitions.  Release yourself from your body and "walk" with me.  We must follow the guide.

MR DANZER ADDS ANOTHER COMPOUND TO THE FLAMES AND A STRONG ODOR FILLS THE AIR.

"Are you ready to climb the mountain to meet the Sky Bear?"

GM Dario

With his eyes closed, Dario breathes deeply and inhales the odor deeply into his body. His 'eyes' open and he looks around, seein' Danzer standin', waitin' for him, but then Dario turns around and sees both of their bodies still sittin' around the fire. 

This is ... different....

Dario walks ('glides/floats?') over toward the High Chief and nods. 

Lead the way, Chief. I'm ready.

Talon

THE DUO WALKS FOR WHAT SEEMS LIKE MILES. FOLLOWING THE FLYING HAWK ABOVE THEM.  THE HAWK GUIDES THEM THROUGH A VALLEY AND UP ANOTHER MOUNTAIN, TO A RIDGELINE THAT LEADS TO AN EVEN TALLER MOUNTAIN.   

Before us is the Mountain of the Sky Bear.   Here all the great spirit guides of our people have met and debated the fates of our people.   We are going to meet the Great Sky Bear at the summit, but you must choose our path.

Do you want to go to the left or the right?

GM Dario

Dario looks at the two paths, then up at the hawk once again. He turns to Danzer with a nod.   

The Hawk was to my right when I had to look up to find him. We should take the Right Path, Chief.

Talon

The path less traveled.  Fitting for your career so far.    Come, we must be quick, the Sky Bear waits for no one.  There is one final test before we reach him.   Come this way.

AFTER TRAVERSING A BRUTAL DRAW FILLED WITH UNEVEN FOOTING, BRIARS, DEADFALL, AND MORE -- YOU ARRIVE AT A STONE WELL.    DANZER APPROACHES THE ABANDONED STONE WELL AND PULLS BACK THE DEAD BRANCHES AND VINES THAT HAVE GROWN OVER THE TOP BEFORE POINTING TO THE WATER BELOW.

Look inside.  What do you see?

GM Dario

Dario peers down into the well, but can't see a thing. The well is dark and no light shines into the well. He looks back at Danzer then looks around, tryin' to think about what the High Chief has said thus far.   

Walk with me, Look beyond , Leave the body....

He nods to himself then walks through the well. Dario slowly floats down the well. Murky water appears but Dario doesn't stop his movement, passin' through the water, until he reaches the 'bottom'. He looks down and sees...   

A Buffalo Nickel.

Dario rises back up to the top and walks out of the well towards Danzer.

I see a coin, Chief. 

Talon

BEHR DANZER LOOKS IN ASTONISHMENT

You went to the bottom of the well? 

...I only meant to look into the water and see what you saw in the reflection.

.......That coin.

..That coin was the one I tossed into the well when my great grandfather, Berry Riding Bears, brought me on my first journey to meet the Sky Bear.

When I tossed it into the well, I wished, like children do, that one day the coin would be returned to me as proof that The Sky Bear was real.

Bring that coin to me.   I need to see it.

GM Dario

Got it, Chief.

Dario starts to walk through the wall of the well again but is blocked, bumpin' into the stones with his leg. He tries again but is blocked again.   

Think, Tylen, Think.

Closin' his eyes, Dario clears his mind then walks towards the well, passin' through it. He floats down, and heads back to the bottom of the well. He stops a couple inches from the bottom and reaches to grab the coin, but his hand passes through the coin. 

What the...

Dario tries again and again but can't grasp the coin off the bottom of the well floor. He tries to swirl his hands in the water, tryin' to get the coin to move but it doesn't even waver.  He looks up towards the openin' above, barely able to make out the clouds in the sky. 

Gotta be 50-60 feet to get to the top of the well, most of that is water too. 

He looks back down at the coin, floatin' through the water until his feet are barely above the well floor.

Nothin' to lose here.

Puttin' his hand just above the coin, Dario closes his eyes again. 

Okay, SkyBear, Gonna need ya on this one.

Dario inhales(?) then clears his mind again. He reaches down, his hand now solid and grabs the coin. Frantically, Dario pushes off of the bottom of the well floor, swimmin' towards the openin' above as best he can in the small well. He reaches the top of the water and exhales loudly. 

COLD!  COLD!! COLD!!!!

He places the coin in his pocket, then slowly climbs up the 8 to 10 feet of the stone- lined well. Dario pulls himself over the well opening and sits on the ground, leanin' against the wall of the well, exhausted from the endeavor. He fishes the coin out of his pocket and offers it to Danzer.

Here ya go, Chief.

Talon

IN AN INSTANT, DANZER AND DARIO ARE SNAPPED BACK INTO REALITY.  BOTH SIT ON THE FLOOR, THE FIRE EXTINGUISHED AND THE ROOM DARK. 

...I have seen enough.   The Great Sky Bear has made it clear.  Do what must be done this season, but next season is one of judgement.

Do you understand?

DANZER EXTENDS HIS HAND TO SHAKE.

GM Dario

Dario shakes Danzer's hand and nods.   

Got it, Chief. I won't let ya down.

Dario picks up the pen and pad then heads out of the room and exhales. 

The SkyBear works in mysterious ways.

He walks back to Shay's office and sets the pen and pad back on her desk.

I told ya I'd bring these back.  I'mma need all your help.  Take every phone call from all the teams. We have some rebuildin' to do, and I can't do this alone.  Also, contact Coach Graham and tell him that I'll meet him and the team on the field in just a few.

One more thing, did we get everythin' planned/completed for the Suite Mods for the BD Memorial?

Talon

Yes sir, the remodel is underway and will be in full effect next season.  It looks good now, but it will look great after an off-season when they can really do some work on it.

GM Dario

Thanks Shay. Keep me up to date with the calls and e-mails. I gotta talk to the team.

Ladies and gentlemen, I know that the season hasn't gone as we have planned. I also know that some of you are not happy to be in this position at 1-5. I'm not happy about bein' in the position of 1-5 either, but I'm also not here to cry about it. Now I put this team together, hopin' we would be a playoff caliber team, but due to coachin', players, schematic, or whatever it is, we aren't there yet. but as a former US President from Missouri used to say, The Buck Stops Here, so I'm the one to blame because I put us together and we're 1-5.

Now I'm a realist, and I'm sure many would like to be on a winnin' team, or just outta KC, so if anybody would like to stay or go, I'm OK with. It's nothing personal with anybody, but if you feel that there are better opportunities in the league than being here, I'll do my best to see it. Have your agents or yourselves contact myself or Shay and we will get the ball rollin' on havin' you outta Kansas City. And if you do choose to stay and be a part of the SkyBear's team, I will ensure that nothin' is gonna get you outta KC.

Now we still gotta play though. This week, Salt Lake comes to the Wigwam. And I wanna make this 1 win double to 2. Maybe we can turn this into a Streak of sorts. We're gonna need everyone to step up with some of our guys hurt, but I believe the SkyBear will guide us. I just need ya to hop on for the ride.

Let's get back to it.

Coach, with Fullerton out, but Keonig back, should we go Laporta then Koenig as the NT in the 3-3-5? With Stones doubtful, I see Alcantar, Brookins and White being CB1/2/3 this week. Do we go al-Taalim, Haney, Cantwell or de la Cruz as CB4?

Talon

I'd say its LaPorta at Nose.   Al-Taalim at CB4.

GM Dario

Well, we may need to regroup that idea with Daysam at CB4.

So we made a few moves to bring in OT Juan Oher, WR Thomas Mulligan, CB Luis Paulson, and OL Charles Fonseca and a plethora of picks.

But it cost us Jeudy, Alcantar, Patel and Roth.

So let's start with this~
My guess is that Oher should be plugged in to start, but is he a RT or LT?
At WR, It's Rivers, Atheron, Duran and Mulligan.
Fonseca can sit behind Brown at OT4 with Stinnett out for 2-4 weeks.
At CB, Stones is sittin' this one versus Salt Lake out with an injury, so Brookins, White, al-Taalim, then Paulson, Haney & Cantwell?

Talon

I know as much about these guys as you do, so that is all fine with me.  Where we slot Oher is up to you.

GM Dario

Then we'll just pull a FAFO and see what happens.

Lineup changes-

WR1 Rivers
WR2 Atherton
WR3 Duran
WR4 Mulligan

LT Jett
RT Oher
LT2/RT2 Brown
LT3/RT3 Fonseca

TE1 Veldwijk
TE2 Campbell
TE3 Mulligan