LONG BEACH MERMEN [GM RIZZ]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 10:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talon

Well it might be too little too late, but it's good to get that streak broken, especially after all that funeral BS.

GM Yount

"YEP

NOW ONE THING I THOUGHT OF AFTER WE LOCKED IN FOR THE WEEK WAS AS FAR AS THOSE LATE GAME TOUCHDOWNS

IM HESITANT TO MEDDLE AFTER A WIN AND I KNOW COACH ROY GETS UPSET ABOUT ME MESSING WITH HIS GUMBO BUT IM WONDERING IF SOME OF THE EXTREME DEFENSIVE AGGRESSIVENESS IN THE LAST TWO MINUTES HAS LED TO SOME OF THOSE LATE SCORES AGAINST US

I DONT WANT TO VEER ENTIRELY AWAY FROM WHAT WORKS FOR HIM OR GO TO A PREVENT DEFENSE PER SE BUT BLITZING FIFTY PERCENT OF THE TIME IN THE LAST TWO MINUTES WHEN WINNING AND SIXTY PERCENT WHEN LOSING COULD POSSIBLY BE CONTRIBUTING TO OUR CORNER TWOS GETTING PICKED ON MORE

I KNOW YOURE MORE OF AN OFFENSIVE EXPERT BUT JUST SOMETHING THAT RAN THROUGH MY HEAD"

Talon

We can make the adjustment, I think the Gumbo issue was becuase you were tweaking a lot of things in a short period of time. I'd be pissed too.

GM Yount

"UNDERSTOOD COACH ILL KNOCK THE LAST TWO MINUTE PERCENTAGES DOWN A BIT IN THE LOCK IN

IM JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHO I WANT TO PUT AT NICKEL CORNER IF PETERSEN CANT GO BEFORE I LOCK IN

I THINK FROST IS THE MORE OBVIOUS CHOICE BUT PART OF ME FEELS LIKE WEVE BEEN GETTING PICKED ON SO MUCH BY THE SECOND AND THIRD TARGETS MAYBE GIVE WATERS A CHANCE TO SEE IF HE CAN SHOW ANYTHING"

Talon

I'm down for whatever you want to do.

GM Yount

"OKAY BET

DID THE BIG DOG USE BET RIGHT"

- If Daniel Petersen cannot play, try Terry Waters at CB3/Nickel

- Decrease FINAL TWO MINUTES blitz % on defense to 43% when Winning and 53% when losing

QUOTE MERMEN COUNTRY KEEP SWIMMING

HYPEN FINDING DORY UNQUOTE

HYPHEN THE BIG DOG

LOCK IN

Talon

TWO WEEKS REMAIN.  FEEL FREE TO LOCK IN FOR BOTH WEEKS, IF YOU WANT TO

GM Yount

"HI ITS THE BIG DOG

ANOTHER WIN ANOTHER WEEK STAYING ALIVE BECAUSE OUR BIG TIME PLAYERS MADE BIG TIME PLAYS

T LAW DID ENCAR DID STARZ DID IZZY DID AND NEELEY CONTINUED HIS TEAM RECORD BREAKING BEST PASS RUSH SEASON IN MERMEN HISTORY

BUT THE GREAT THING ABOUT SOMEONE LIKE BIG AL IS HES ALL ABOUT THE TEAM AND DOESNT WANT TO TALK ABOUT HIMSELF

THIS WEEK WE WERE SWIMMING TO A HOME GAME AGAINST SYDNEY AND OBVIOUSLY ITS TOUGH OBVIOUSLY ITS MUST WIN BUT WE KNOW WHAT WEVE GOTTA DO

LIKE I SAID LIKE FINDING DORY SAID MERMEN COUNTRY WE JUST GOTTA KEEP ON SWIMMING"

Talon

Funny you're hitting that Finding Nemo stuff and we're going to Sydney...

I'm looking at things.. We win out and we're 8-8..  There is a scenario where all four teams in our division are 8-8. 

Lets Swim.

GM Yount

"MERMEN COUNTRY KEEP SWIMMING"

LOCK IN

GM Yount

"HI ITS THE BIG DOG

ANOTHER MUST WIN GAME WITH OUR BACKS AGAINST THE WALL AND WE GOT THE JOB DONE

THIS TEAM KEEPS ON SWIMMING AND THEY KEEP ON FIGHTING AND LIKE THE BIG DOG SAID BIG TIME PLAYERS MADE BIG TIME PLAYS

WEVE GOT OAKLAND THIS WEEK ON THE ROAD WHICH IS AS HOSTILE AN ENVIRONMENT AS IT GETS BUT I LIKE TO THINK WITH THE ADVERSITY WEVE GONE THROUGH WERE USED TO THE FIRE

THE BIG DOG KNOWS THERES THIS AND THAT WHICH COULD AFFECT THINGS BUT WE JUST GOTTA KEEP DOING WHAT WEVE BEEN DOING AND THATS KEEP ON SWIMMING"

"ARIEL CAN YOU GATHER THE TEAM AND COACHES AT THE LOCKER ROOM FOR ME"

"HI ITS THE BIG DOG

IM NOT BIG ON THESE HUGE RAH RAH LOCKER ROOM SPEECHES BUT I WANTED TO GET YOU ALL TOGETHER AND TALK TO YOU BECAUSE OF THE MAGNITUDE OF IT AND THE CRAZY UPS AND DOWNS WEVE GONE THROUGH

LOVE THE WAY THE TEAMS BEEN FIGHTING TO CLAW BACK AND THE NEVER GIVE UP ATTITUDE KNOWING YOURE BETTER THAN THINGS WERE SHOWING

I KEEP QUOTING FINDING DORY BECAUSE YOU KNOW THERES BEEN A LOT OF OUTSIDE NOISE ABOUT US BUT HOW DOES THAT AFFECT US

THERES BEEN PLENTY OF BAD RESULTS BUT YOU HAD TO BE JUST LIKE THAT FORGETFUL FISH AND FORGET ABOUT IT

JUST LIKE YOU HAVE TO PUT THE GOOD WINS BEHIND US BLOCK THEM OUT OF YOUR MEMORY AND JUST SAVE UP THE FEELINGS THEY GAVE YOU TO PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN AND

KEEP

ON

MOTHERFUCKING

SWIMMING

BECAUSE THATS ALL WE CAN DO THATS ALL WE KNOW HOW TO DO THATS ALL WE CAN DO TO FEEL ANY PRIDE IN OURSELVES

MERMEN COUNTRY OAKLAND WANTS TO STOP US BUT IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THEY WANT DOES IT

LETS JUST KEEP SWIMMING

LOCK IN

Talon

END OF SEASON PRESS CONFERENCE

1. Even prior to the 3 game win streak, this club had only lost its last 4 games by a combined 15 points, how do you response to the 42-7 beatdown from Oakland when the division title was on the line?

2. Some say you tinkered too much this season and it hurt the teams chemistry, do you agree or disagree?

3. Your job security has been in question ever since the 7 game losing streak started to mount, how do you feel about your future right now?

WHEN YOU HAVE CONCLUDED YOUR PRESS CONFERENCE YOU WILL BE LOCKED UNTIL THE PRE-OFFSEASON (POST-IMPACT BOWL WEEK)

GM Yount

"HI ITS THE BIG DOG

RESPECTFULLY MY MAIN RESPONSE TO THAT BEATDOWN IN A GAME OF THAT MAGNITUDE IS THAT IT ABSOLUTELY SUCKED AND I DONT WANT TO EXPERIENCE THAT AGAIN

MY OTHER BIG TAKEAWAY IS THAT ITS CONFIRMATION IN MY EYES THAT US GMS MAKING BIG RAH RAH SPEECHES DOESNT MEAN CRAP IF WE HAD SOME MAGIC MOTIVATIONAL FAIRY DUSTY WE COULD SPRINKLE THAT WOULD MAKE OUR TEAM PLAY BETTER IT WOULD BE A LOT EASIER

I KNOW ITS MY JOB AS GM TO COME UP WITH ANSWERS BUT RIGHT NOW IF I HAD THE ANSWER TO WHY THAT HAPPENED IT WOULDNT HAVE

CERTAINLY THE BIG DOG WILL WORK HARD AND COME UP WITH LESSONS TO LEARN BUT ITS TOO RAW RIGHT NOW

"DID THE BIG DOG TINKER TOO MUCH

THATS CERTAINLY A POSSIBILITY ITS ALSO A POSSIBILITY I INVESTED TOO MUCH AT YOUTH IN IMPORTANT POSITIONS FOR A WIN NOW TEAM AND THAT I MISJUDGED THE MARKET FOR CERTAIN PLAYERS STARTING IN THE OFFSEASON

AS FOR THE TINKERING I DONT REGRET MY THOUGHT PROCESS BEHIND ANY OF THE MOVES IN A VACUUM BUT ITS CERTAINLY POSSIBLE THAT THE EXPECTATIONS OF THIS YEAR CAUSED ME TO STRAY AWAY FROM MY DEVELOP INTERNALLY PHILOSOPHY AND I PERHAPS LOOKED TO ADDRESS PERCEIVED PROBLEMS SOONER THAN I NEEDED TO

ITS CERTAINLY MY FAULT WHATEVER THE PROBLEM WAS SINCE IT WASNT THE PLAYERS OR THE COACHES

EVERYTHING STARTS AT THE TOP"

"WELL THE BIG DOG SAID THEN THAT I WASNT CONCERNED ABOUT MY JOB SECURITY I WAS CONCERNED THAT WE WERENT WINNING GAMES AND THAT ONE THING GENERALLY FIXES OR LEADS TO THE OTHER YOU KNOW

THAT SAID ITS CERTAINLY NOT LOST ON THE BIG DOG THAT

IM NOT SURE OF THE EXACT ORDER OF OPERATIONS ON THE CALENDAR BUT THAT IN A FEW WEEKS MY CONTRACT EXPIRES WHICH MEANS TECHNICALLY I WONT HAVE A JOB UNLESS THAT SITUATION IS RESOLVED

HONESTLY THOUGH THE BIG DOG IS MORE FOCUSED ON HOW I CAN BE A BETTER GM THAN ANYTHING ELSE RIGHT NOW AND WELL SEE WHAT ANSWERS THAT BRINGS"

Talon

"GM Big Dog, you once said that, to paraphrase, you only wanted to GM the Long Beach Mermen, do you stand by that or if the team elects to let you go after you contract expires that you would entertain other job offers or even pursue other positions in the league?"

GM Yount

"THE BIG DOG STANDS BY THAT

IM RICH I DONT NEED A GM JOB ITS A PASSION I PURSUE BECAUSE I LOVE IT

FUN FACT NOT TO DIVULGE NAMES OR ANYTHING BUT LAST OFFSEASON I TURNED DOWN A JOB OFFER AND LONG TERM SECURITY FROM A GOOD FRANCHISE EVEN KNOWING I HAD A QUOTE LAME DUCK UNQUOTE STATUS HERE

WHY

WELL ONE BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN MYSELF BUT TWO BECAUSE THIS IS THE JOB I WANT

IF WORST CAME TO WORST THE BIG DOG COULD AT BEST MAYBE SEE MYSELF TRYING TO LAND A JOB WITH THE LEAGUE ITSELF MAYBE SOME KIND OF AMBASSADOR THING BETWEEN US AND THE FEMFL TO HELP GROW THE GAME THATS JUST SPITBALLING"

Talon

Well, guess we'll see where we stand with the boss after the Impact Bowl.  See you then.

Talon

We will be looking for a new General Manager for S18 and beyond.  Applications will open soon, better scrub your socials.

Talon

Talon

THE MEDIA GATHERS FOR THE INTRODCUTORY PRESS CONFERENCE OF GM RIZZ

Ladies and gentlemen thank you for your patience, at this time it is my pleasure to introduce Mr. Neil Cohen and GM Rizz.

Thank you Ariel and thank you to the members of the local and national media here today. 

I am going to keep this brief, but I would like to start by saying I will not be taking any questions in regards to our previous interviews or attempts to hire a GM, however I will say that GM Pancho and the Tucson Stars got what was coming to them when he made that mistake, maybe I lucked out by him not taking our offer we had verbally agreed on.

Now with that being said, I want to turn the focus back to Mermen Football by welcoming GM Rizz to the Long Beach!  The Mermen are a part of the HIFL's "Original 12" and that means a lot to me and those in this building.  When I purchased the team I vowed to carry on the tradition of championship winning football from the Season 5 Mermen who won the Impact Bowl but that has not been the case just yet.  We've had playoff runs, we've had great players and great moments, but from GM BD to GM Gooch, to GM Big Dog we've yet to find someone to bring sustained success that can push us back to the Impact Bowl.

I believe we will see that success under the guidance of GM Rizz.  This is his first job in the league, but if all plays out right this will be his ONLY job in the league.

GM Rizz, the floor is yours.

GM Rizz

Thank you Mr. Cohen. Ladies and gentlemen of the press, I confess I am a bit nervous standing before all of you right now. Just hearing Mr. Cohen speak about the legacy of this organization brings gravitas and weight to what it means to take up this mantle where the previous general manager left off. It will be my aim to provide the kind of stability and sustained winning that Mr. Cohen and our fanbase are seeking.

I understand that the last year was disappointing for more than just the front office but also for the players, coaches and most importantly for the fans. I am sure there is some trepidation about potential changes and I do not deny that there may be some. I hope to be able to speak to our coaches so that I might better understand their vision for the team and from there I will work to chart our course going forward.

Do you have any questions for me?

Talon

THE MEDIA CLAMOR WITH QUESTIONS AND AFTER ANSWERING SEVERAL, ARIEL STEPS IN AND USHERS GM RIZZ OUT AND AWAY FROM THE FRAY.  WALKING HIM THROUGH THE HALLS OF THE AQUA-DOME TO HIS NEW OFFICE SHE SHOWS OFF THE TROPHY CASE THAT HOUSES THE S5 IMPACT BOWL TROPHY AND OTHER HONORS EARNED BY MERMEN THROUGHOUT THE YEARS.

Well, here we are.  Your new home away from home.  If there is anything I can help you with please do not hesitate to reach out, I am here to help make your job easier.    I'll forward you some info on the agents around the league who you will end up dealing with for contracts and the like, sometimes it can help to know what to expect before going into that type of stuff.

Also here is our team report.  I have added a tab with all of our players stats from this past season and there is also one showing our draft picks for this upcoming draft and for the following two seasons.
  Here is a complete breakdown of the league's statistics from this past season to help you do any research you might be interested in.

GM Rizz

Thank you for making the ease of access to this information simple, Ariel. I especially appreciated the players that have been honored for their contributions to the team. It is good to see history acknowledged.

But moving on. I am a believer in accountability. Before I speak with our coaching staff I am interested to hear your thoughts on what went wrong here this past season. You seem to be the intermediary between Mr. Cohen and the general manager, and the general manager and the coaching staff and team so if anyone is going to have an understanding of the big picture I believe it would be you.

Talon

Thank you for that, I don't know if I've ever been asked for my opinion.  Most just think of me as a secretary and not an assistant to the GM of football operations.

That being said, GM Big Dog was a very passionate manager, so much so that she would tinker too much at times and this year I think it just threw off our team chemistry and the overall continuity in the locker room.

We lost a lot of games in very close fashion and the difference in a catch or a drop in a key time or a broken up or completed pass on defense is that chemistry.    Not that this is a league where you set it and forget it, but sometimes you can definitely, to steal a phrase from our Defensive coordinator,  "over-season the gumbo."   

A real question mark is also whether or not Trevor Lawrence is a franchise QB.   He's not happy with people questioning that either and is eying an exit, but if you really wanted to bring him back Im sure you could talk to him during the off-season and try to bring him back around. 

The roster is not bad, there are flaws here and there, some questionable contracts, and a big concern that Albert Neeley will opt out of his very team friendly deal, but you can see in the stats, we have good players to build around or to use as trade chips.

GM Rizz

You're welcome though the thanks is unneeded. I will take your evaluation into account. Could you point me in the direction of our head coach next?

Talon

Absolutely!   Jose Mackey has been our head coach for a year, he has experience as an head coach in New Jersey and has been an OC in quite a few places as well.  He is a Hall of Fame running back who at one time had the single-season rushing record as a member of this roster. 

He's a laid back personality, isn't a guy who loves to dive deep into x's and o's but he knows the game.   He'll tell you what you want to know, just don't push him for super specific details.

anyways, I'll have him come to the office!

Hey man, Jose Mackey.  Good to meet you.   Look, before you get started, I know a GM wants to have "his guy" so if you'd like me to stay I'm here, but if you'd rather go get someone who fits your vision when coaching free agency begins, I'll step down now and get out of your way so you dont have to deal with the cost of my contract.    No pressure either way.   Cool?

GM Rizz

Well, at the moment I don't have those kinds of connections. So let's both take a breath and see if our vision for the team aligns. Is a reset something that you could endure? Ariel told me you have only been here for a year as the head coach and I assume you signed on with the expectation of deep playoff runs right away.

Talon

Working with a ton of young talent isn't my favorite thing.  I'm a baller, but I don't have a ton of patience for mental mistakes or guys who keep making the same mistakes again and again.  Don't get my wrong, I'm a damn good coach and I am good at a lot of things, but personally I've had to help build a team from the ground up in St. Paul, from 3-13 to 15-1 in a three year span, but I'm not really looking forward to doing it again.   I left New Jersey to come back to Long Beach with the intention of picking this team up and getting them to another level, but things didn't go as planned and we had a horrible 7 game losing streak late in the year that took us from first to worst.

GM Rizz

I'll be honest, Coach, I don't know that I see how we can get to the next level with the current roster. My estimation of it is that there are some significant holes, not the least of which is quarterback, and not a lot of wiggle room with the salary cap. If I could get Trevor to stay we'll have a lot less wiggle room, and I'm not sure that's a prospect I am interested in.

But if you think you can make it work with some patches to cover those holes for the time being, I'm willing to give it a year to try and see if this is a good partnership.

Talon

No disrespect intended at all, but I think its best that we go ahead and call things off.   I'm happy to hear what you're looking for in a coach and offer you some suggestions to interview, though.

GM Rizz

If you're sure that's the direction you want to go then I respect it. And if you're willing to hear what qualities I'd be looking for in the next coach then.. Given my lack of experience in the front office I would want a proven strong leader with the ability to recruit quality coordinators to be hands on in the playcalling. It doesn't matter to me what side of the ball they prefer, but as a secondary quality I'd want someone who takes pride in and is meticulous at developing players.

Talon

Travis Knight is a 3-4 minded defensive coach.  3-4 hasn't been the most successful defense in the league but he is meticulous and a great leader, very intense and a little volatile though.

Hector Houser is an offensive minded coach with a lot of respect from young players in the league.  He was a great receiver during his day and he connects with young players really well.  He's quieter, a strong silent type, but he's got a lot of people saying he's going to be a great HC one day.

A big name to watch is Ervin Edward.  Only been retired a year or two but he's a fast rising coach who was a HOF linebacker.  He is a guy I hear a ton about as a coach who instantly establishes a connection with the locker room.   He's never been even a coordinator but he was assistant HC and LB coach in London this year and everyone I've talked to said its just a matter of time before he takes a big job.

Justin Holt and George Gaskins are both defensive minds from Orlando/Madrid who look like future HC's both strong leaders, both extremely passionate and its contagious for a locker room.  They bring the energy.

Mumbasa is a cool cat, had a rough first-time HC stint but has thrived since then as an OC and helped get Cancun to a division title.  Offensive guy who has some innovative development strategies to help boost guys other might right off.

If you want Discipline, Archie Freese is a guy who comes from a long line of coaches. The Freese name is what defense was built on in the 80s and 90s.  He's a sharp guy who really holds people accountable.

New Jersey has a pair of coordinators worth looking at too.   Pat McCarthy is another legacy coach, the McCarthy bloodline runs deep in the league, fast paced spread offense that develops QBs very well.   Then on defense they have Sean Peterson who should've gotten an HC job last year after making the Miami defense world class for the last several years.  He's been slept on but he's a guy players respect and love to play for. Great 4-3 defensive coach.

There are others worth looking at, but that's a hell of a starting list you wont get anywhere else.

GM Rizz

Goodness. I thought you were just going to give me a list of names. Thank you for that and for your class in how you've handled this situation.

Talon

Hey, I'll always have love for the Mermen organization, so its the least I can do.

Alright GM Rizz, well it was good to meet you and I appreciate the face to face.   I'm going to turn in my paperwork with the league and make my exit.

Once the off-season officially begins after you and the other 31 teams are locked in to close out Season 17, you'll be able to start talking to coaching prospect.

Good luck man,  take it easy.

GM Rizz

You too Coach Mackey.

lock in

Talon

GM Rizz, welcome to the league.  It's real surreal for me to interview to be the head coach of the team that drafted me and where I played the first 4 years of my career.

What can I do to show you I'm the guy for the job?

GM Rizz

Hey man. It is a pleasure to meet you. The previous head coach spoke very highly of you and is a big reason in why we're reaching out so early in the process. But listen, I've got some notes here but I don't really want this to be a super formal thing. That's not really my vibe.

One of the things that stood out to me in this little packet our scouts put together is that you'd prefer to have your defensive coordinator call the plays on defense, rather than you handling that responsibility. I noticed that because nobody else we looked at was willing to give up play calling responsibilities. So why are you?

Talon

Honestly, it comes from experiences I've seen first hand.   I've played on dominant defenses run by an offensive head coach, because he let the defensive coordinator functions and does the defense his way.   The best head coaches I've played for have come from when the head coach motivated, lead, and managed the entire team, but did not put his fingers in too many pies.   

If you're gameplanning for how you're gonna blitz the QB, how can you make sure some guys not getting out of pocket and buying his own strip club like my old teammate Homer Nation did in St. Paul.

How can you make sure guys aren't getting drunk and driving when you're busy creating plays with the staff who is paid to create plays?

I just think its best for the HC to have his finger on the pulse of the roster and then trust his staff to execute his vision for the gameplan.

GM Rizz

Very cool. What kind of working relationship do you imagine you and the right GM to have? Do you want to work for someone who is going to micromanaging the minute details of the offense and defense, or would you prefer to work for someone who is more laid back and willing to let you handle those matters?

Talon

I think the right answer is a balance of the two.  Laid back is great, not stressing over every single game like its win or go home is important when a team is building and trying to find what works and what doesn't, but at the same time the GM has to be invested, I think as long as the GM is active doing their responsibilities to the team then as a head coach I am ready to do my part and keep the team in the right mindset day-to-day.

GM Rizz

If you were to be the head coach of this team what would be the position you would want addressed first?

Talon

It depends on the landscape of the markets but obviously with Trevor Lawrence departing, we need to know what we are doing at quarterback.   This team also needs to find a strong CB2 to play opposite of Izzy, and in my defense it would be great to add another sideline-to-sideline type linebacker to play beside Choi in the nickel sets.   All of those have to be addressed, it just depends on who the BPA is at the time.

GM Rizz

Would Samuel Chow fit the bill in your defense for a sideline to sideline 'backer?

Talon

Absolutely, I just saw the news come across.  He's a fierce player who plays like I did.  Can drop down as an emergency edge rusher but also has the skills to play all over the field.

GM Rizz

Youre my first choice interview for a reason and I would like to get to negotiating a contract with you but before we get there let me ask you one last question. Do you feel ready to become a head coach in this league?

Talon

I do. I feel like I was born to lead a team to the Impact Bowl. 

GM Rizz

Let's make it happen, then. I have a 3 year contract and I think it's fair to offer you the same 3 years and let's say 13 million for salary?

Talon

Talon

WITH YOUR STAFF FULLY HIRED, YOU ARE INVITED TO THE SCOUTING COMBINE.  YOU MAY SUBMIT YOUR SPENDING VIA THE LEAGUE OFFICE.

Talon

Hello, After signing our draft picks we have 17 open roster positions to fill with $24.95MM in salary cap and $4MM in bonus available to do so. We still need a Defensive End and a punter but the remaining roster spots are flexible.  We also have $400K in off-season bonus money remaining as well.

The experts over Pro Football Focus gave us a draft score of 81.0 which was 23rd in the league.

If you have any questions, let me know asap.

GM Rizz

Thank you, Ariel. My numbers are a little off from yours. I have us with 18 roster spots and 29.95 million left in salary cap.

I'm still using the sheet you provided me with to track roster spots and salary if you want to compare what you have to what I have.