NEW JERSEY DRAGONS [GM STORM]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 10:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Storm

I see. In studying our team sheet I have noticed that we have what seems to be a rather low percentage of our plays designed to be passing plays while it seems this should be the strength of our offense. That is how it appears on paper. Reg has yet to throw an interception this season and is completing over 70 percent of his passes.

It would seem a reasonable solution would be to make some adjustments here.

On defense I have noticed that Brian Wong is our most targeted cornerback, though not by a lot, and is yielding a significant number of catches. Comparatively, Leslie Keefer has more passes defensed and a better percentage of passes thrown his way ending up incomplete. Even if we doubled the numbers of targets and catches allowed, Leslie would still have allowed fewer catches.

Once more this seems to me to be a spot we might improve by changing the roles we are expecting our men to take on.

Talon

This makes sense to me.  If you would like to adjust the percentages on our run/pass ratio or depth chart all you have to do is post them on your lock in post.

Our ratios can be as simple as "50/50" or you can break it down by down and distance the way it is listed on our team sheet. 

Anything you would like to be left up to the coaching staff exclusively you can simply label "Coaches decision" and we will go with what we think is the best.   

I am very flexible and willing to adjust our schemes now that you are in the driver's seat, so feel free to change whatever you would like.

GM Storm

Thank you. I will lean on you heavily for advice even if I am the one ultimately calling the shots on these things. As such, I would like to know your honest assessment of the teams current capability to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Talon

The East is weaker than usual this season.  Alabama is without the greatest offensive player the league has ever seen, Jamie Ortega, he is out until the end of the regular season with a knee injury from last post-season.  St Paul is in flux, Cleveland is struggling, The Mid-South division is congested and in our own division DC is the leader but has far fewer weapons in their high-volume passing attack than last year. 

Miami looks like the best of the bunch currently, but even then they are not perfect.  If we can get some wins going to build momentum, we have a real chance to make that push, yes.

GM Storm

We will continue to try then instead of unloading our players for draft picks or prospects for now. If we get to the point where the playoffs seem like a distant chance instead of a high probability then I feel we should let our young QB get some game time.

Do we have any players who are currently unhappy with their role on the team?

Talon

Fortunately, I have a good respect in the locker room, so we have had no issues with morale or status. I try to run tight ship, yes?

I agree, if the trade deadline comes and we are not contenders, we should do what we must do for the future.

GM Storm

We are agreed. Thank you, Mr. Swope. Please excuse me for a moment I believe the media have gathered and I need to address them.

STORM POLITELY NODS TO THE COACH BEFORE EXITING HIS OFFICE. ON HIS WAY TO THE MEDIA ROOM HE TAKES THE TIME TO ADMIRE THE ARTWORK AND VARIOUS ITEMS COMMEMORATING THE SUCCESS OF THE DRAGONS FRANCHISE. HIS ARRIVAL AT THE MEDIA ROOM COMES MOMENTS LATER. WITH A DEEP BREATH AND SLIGHT ADJUSTMENT TO HIS TIE, STORM STEPS UP TO THE PODIUM WITH A FEW CAMERA BULBS FLASHING AS HE DOES SO.

My friends, it is a pleasure to finally get to stand before you. I know that Mr. Tong would have liked to have been here but the insurance business, especially in the Pacific Northwest I hear, is quite demanding of his time these days.

I must convey to you the honor I feel standing before you all and representing the New Jersey Dragons. I imagine this is very much what my father envisioned when he and my mother immigrated from Russia 50 years ago, that his son one day would make a life built upon the foundation he laid for me.

Now the true work begins. This is an exciting week for the Dragons, with the chance to defeat a divisional rival in their own home and keep ourselves squarely in the playoff race. We must be mentally tough on top of being harder, faster and stronger than our opponents if we wish to be successful but thankfully we have many players who are experienced and prepared for these games and we are captained by a brilliant leader in Mr. Joan Swope. I believe we will give the Dragons fans a victory they can be proud of.

ONCE THE SESSION HAS COMMENCED AND THERE ARE NO (FURTHER) QUESTIONS, STORM RETUNS TO HIS OFFICE SPEAKING TO HIS SECRETARY ON THE WAY THERE.

An, I would like to meet Mr. Reginald Duke if he has time.

Talon

Mr. Storm, good to meet you. Welcome to Jersey.

GM Storm

Yes, it is good to meet you. Thank you for the welcome.

This is an exciting week but also an important week. I believe strongly that our season hinges on achieving a victory against the Cobras. But especially depending on how the next two weeks go will influence my decision on whether we are looking to win now, or if we must look to the future.

How do you feel about the weapons you have around you? Are you confident in your receivers and running backs?

Talon

Well, DGB and I are now in our 6th season as a duo so we know each others games well.   Clint is a vet but we never played together until this year so Im still getting a feel for him and its shown in how little I've targeted him, Im going to try to lean on him more goin forward if we are in a win-now mode, at the same time we have Scott at TE and he's an all-time legend and great who still has the skills to play at a high level. He's my short yardage security blanket.  Overall I'd say I like our WRs, but  because of all of our ages, DGB and Clint aren't as fast as they once were so while I'm more of a short and mid-range passer, we don't have a lot of speed and agility to make guys miss after the catch and break big gains.  If I had one wish to pull from my wish list it would be to get a slasher type, a guy like a Forest Walker in Rapid City who can make a guy miss and gain yards after the catch.

GM Storm

I will see what I can do. If someone like that is available at a reasonable price, we will bring him in.

In the immediate, I will be asking Coach Mackey to lean on you and your receivers a little bit more this week. I know you will be well prepared and up to the task at hand.

Talon

No doubt. I'm all in for this club.  Anything I can do to help.

GM Storm

Thank you, Mr. Duke. I look forward to you guiding us to victory.

An, would you see if Mr. Swope has a moment for me. If you would like to forward a message on to him, I am curious why Anteros Jackson has not recorded a single statistic all season when, at least it appears this way, he is the most talented linebacker we have on the roster.

Talon

Anteros is a strong safety by trade, he has been learning and working on the position change and hasn't been ready to start.  He is looking ready now, so we could have him slot in ahead of Baumgartner now if we would like.

GM Storm

Thank you Mr. Swope. I have been working on this master sheet and was wondering if you might look it over and see if any adjustments need to be made specifically to the depth chart at Wide Receiver and Linebacker.

STRATEGY GM OR COACHES DECISION ON ANY/ALL

OFFENSE
Attitude: Balanced
Focus: Balanced
Tempo: Normal
Passing Focus: Balanced
Pass To: Balanced
Primary Receiver: Dorial Green-Beckham
Third Down Back: Merle Harrington
Goal Line Back: Quan Black
Running Focus: Balanced
Running Backs Role: Balanced
Backfield by Committee?: No
Tight End Focus: Mixed
QB Tuck and Run: Normal

DEFENSE
Attitude: Balanced
Focus: Balanced
Primary Coverage: Mixed
D-Line Focus: Balanced
Linebacker Focus: Balanced
Player Radio: Sam Rose
Match CBs to WRs?: Yes
Align Man Coverage?: Balanced

SUBSTITUTION LOGIC
Point Margin for Backup Package 30
Sub Package Minimum Energy 60
Sub Package Maximum Energy 85

END OF GAME SCENARIOS
If Winning Run More
If Losing Pass More

COUNTER STRATEGY (vs. offense gives your defense a boost to stop the selected type; vs. defense gives your offense a boost vs. selected defensive strategy)
Coaches Decision? Yes
vs. Offense
vs. Defense

OFFENSE MASTER DEPTH CHART GM's MUST COMPLETE THIS TASK (You may attach up to 3 additional Copies of this Chart for various "Packages" in your offense, the final package is strictly your back up players for substitutions - this is automatically set by your coaching staff)

PACKAGE NAME:

QB- Reginald Duke
QB2- Kyle Wright
QB3- Thomas Alexander

RB1- Quan Black
RB2- Merle Harrington
RB3- Chris Lauer

FB- Vernon Cota

TE1- Scott Schwarz
TE2- Edward Berry

WR1- Dorial Green-Beckham
LWR4- Gregory Barbour

WR2- Clint Dickey
WR5- Carl McBride

WR3- Larry Russell

LT- Travis Brothers
LT2- Jose Crabtree

LG- Clyde Colbert
LG2- Ryan Vail

C- David King
C2- David Ayala

RG- Daren Ames
RG2- Earnest Wolfe

RT- Michael Roth
RT2- Jose Crabtree

DEFENSE MASTER DEPTH CHART GM's MUST COMPLETE THIS TASK (You may attach up to 3 additional Copies of this Chart for various "Packages" in your defense. The final package is strictly your back up players for substitutions - this is automatically set by your coaching staff)

PACKAGE NAME:

DT1- Harry Steele
DT3- John Chamberlain

DT2- Glenn Totten
DT4- Herbert Howell

RE1- Adam Stringer
RE2- Bryan Nunn

LE1- Christopher Chandler
LE2- Dwight Wooley

MLB1- Greg Adams
MLB2- Demarcus Crane

ROLB1- Frank Falcon
ROLB2- Reynaldo Baumgartner

LOLB1- Anteros Jackson
LOLB2- Reynaldo Baumgartner

CB1- Greedy Jackson
CB4- Harris McKeown

CB2- Leslie Keefer
CB5- Brian Wong

CB3- Brian Wong
CB6- Cory Taylor

FS1- Sam Rose
FS2- William Charles

SS1- Tamati Polamalu
SS2- William Stacks

PLAY CALLING GM Chooses who calls plays, and assigns desired percentages if not left up to play calling coach

OFFENSE RUN/PASS RATIO

Play Caller: Jose Mackey
First and 10 - 45%
First and Short - 40%
First and Medium - 45%
First and Long - 60%

Second and Short - 40%
Second and Medium - 50%
Second and Long - 55%

Third and Short - 35%
Third and Medium - 55%
Third and Long - 65%

Fourth and Short - 30%
Fourth and Medium - 55%
Fourth and Long - 80%

Goal Line - 35%

Final 2 mins of half (w/ lead) - 40%
Final 2 mins of half (trailing) - 70%

Talon

This is completely logical and sound, yes.

GM Storm

Thank you. The trade market has been very frustrating so far. We may have to stick with what we have but I will continue to work the phones for a little while longer.

Talon

GM Storm

I think we are ready to go. After the trade I have slotted Cory Taylor in where Harris had been on our depth chart.

Let us give DC Fire and Blood.

Lock in.

GM Storm

After starting out well this was not a game that was pleasant for us. Yet, in many ways it provided answers to many questions that I had after ascending to the position of General Manager.

The New Jersey Dragons are entering into a period of transition. This must be done that we might bring glory and honor to this franchise once more.

I know that you wish for me to comment on the anger of the other league, but I do not wish to say too much other than to warn them that they should not let their anger get the best of them. Their problem is with one team. Their retribution should be aimed at one team. If they can be measured and responsible, this will be best for all parties.

STORM CONCLUDES THE PRESS CONFERENCE AFTER ANSWERING ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS THAT MIGHT BE ASKED BEFORE HE RETURNS TO HIS OFFICE.

Mr. Swope, this was a very disappointing performance.

Talon

GM Storm

But a new day rises and a new opportunity presents itself for us to turn things around. Do we match up well against the Underground?

Talon

We are 25th in points, 19th in points allowed, we are strong running ranking 8th and strong with pass defense ranking 9th.    Atlanta is 22nd in points, 6th in points allowed.   they are not good in either run or pass yardage, but defensively they are strong with 8th ranked run defense and 14th ranked pass defense.

GM Storm

Then if we wish to be successful we must find success through our weakness.

I think that now is the time to make the change at Quarterback. We are far enough out of contention that if the young man is able to bring us back into contention, he will have many believers in the locker room. And if we continue to struggle it will not be seen as his fault.

What do you make of this summit? It appears to me that we are allowing ourselves to get pushed around.

Actually, now that I think of this... you do not defeat bear with strength. You defeat bear with cunning.

Ms. Tong... does your fathers company have insurance dealings with the PFL, perhaps indirectly? Maybe a cancellation of player insurance policies league wide would wound them enough to make them limp off and lick their wounds.

Talon

哦,我现在就给他打电话!

Talon

It pains me to bench The Duke, but I agree. We are falling in the wrong direction.

GM Storm

STORM BRIEFLY WISHES HE HAD LEARNED ONE OF THE MANY CHINESE DIALECTS SO THAT HE COULD HAVE UNDERSTOOD WHAT AN TONG JUST SAID BUT HIS ATTENTION SWITCHES BACK TO COACH JOAN SWOPE

Sometimes we must do difficult things for the greater good.

I will speak to him and inform him of this decision and then I will speak with Kyle.

An, I see that you are busy on the phone. Please send a message to Reginald Duke requesting his presence in my office.

Talon

GM Storm

Mr. Duke. I wanted to personally thank you for your contributions to the New Jersey Dragons over the many years you have spent here. Your leadership and steadfast hand through good and bad shows your devotion to the Dragons cause. Your service is greatly appreciated.

Your team now needs you to serve more fully in the mentor role as we prepare for the future. We will be having Kyle Wright handle the quarterback duties for the remainder of the season barring any unforeseen circumstances, and look to you to give him your full efforts in his preparation for this task.

Talon

Like I said before, whatever the organization needs, I am here for it. 

So what type of mentorship do you want me to provide for Kyle?

A direct approach.  Tough Love.  Validation.  Formal tutoring. Encouragement. Empathy...

and then what do you want the main focus to be?

Studying, Professionalism, Community, Training, Locker Room laedership, Team Spirit, Team Play, General Position training, Confidence, Humility, Media relations, Family, or how to handle the fame?

GM Storm

Let us go with a direct approach and let the focus be studying.

Talon

You got it boss. I'll do my best to help him succeed.

GM Storm

Thank you, Mr. Duke. You may return to practice.

An, I must inform Mr. Kyle Wright of his new responsibilities. Please have him come to my office.

Talon

GM Storm

Mr. Wright, today is a momentous day for you. I am pleased to inform you that you are going to be our starting Quarterback going forward.

Mr. Reginald Duke has agreed to take a step back and do what is necessary to assist you in your preparation. My advice is to lean heavily on his experience.

Talon

Wow, that's great!   I'm excited to get my first career start and lead this team to a big win against Atlanta.

GM Storm

They have a very tough defense so we will be counting on you to protect the football. Coach Joan has taken great pride in selecting you during the draft. This is your first opportunity to show him, and the rest of us, that he chose well.

Many great Quarterbacks have lead this team. These are big shoes with big responsibilities that you are filling.

Talon

Understood. This is a proud franchise, and I'm here to make you and the fan base even more proud. 

GM Storm

Good. I will hold you to that. Return to practice. We look forward to your debut soon.

An, I am attaching a document updating our depth charts to reflect the recent changes to our team.

PACKAGE NAME: Primary Offensive Package

QB- Kyle Wright
QB2- Reginald Duke
QB3- Thomas Alexander

RB1- Quan Black
RB2- Merle Harrington
RB3- Chris Lauer

FB- Vernon Cota

TE1- Edward Berry
TE2- Michael Wenger

WR1- Dorial Green-Beckham
LWR4- Gregory Barbour

WR2- Clint Dickey
WR5- Carl McBride

WR3- Larry Russell
WR6 - Dove Wheeler

LT- Dale Hardaway
LT2- Jose Crabtree

LG- Clyde Colbert
LG2- Ryan Vail

C- David King
C2- Thomas Shirley

RG- Daren Ames
RG2- Earnest Wolfe

RT- Travis Brothers
RT2- Jose Crabtree

PACKAGE NAME: Primary Defensive Package

DT1- Harry Steele
DT3- John Chamberlain

DT2- Glenn Totten
DT4- Herbert Howell

RE1- Adam Stringer
RE2- Bryan Nunn

LE1- Christopher Chandler
LE2- Dwight Wooley

MLB1- Greg Adams
MLB2- Brad Martin

ROLB1- Frank Falcon
ROLB2- Brad Martin

LOLB1- Anteros Jackson
LOLB2- Reynaldo Baumgartner

CB1- Greedy Jackson
CB4- Brian Wong

CB2- Leslie Keefer
CB5- Lino Perkins

CB3- Cory Taylor
CB6- Brian Wong

FS1- Sam Rose
FS2- William Charles

SS1- Tamati Polamalu
SS2- William Stacks

Lock In

GM Storm

"After some significant changes to your roster this week the team responded with a victory. How does that feel?"

"A new day dawns here in New Jersey. Yes, the changes that were made were difficult but necessary. Change and transition occurs frequently in life. Those who can adapt and overcome are the ones who survive and thrive. I was very pleased with the performance of our players.

Yet, it must be noted that even in victory there was a touch of sadness as Mr. Clyde Colbert will be unable to play for a significant period of time. Hopefully, he will be able to put on a Dragons jersey once more before the season is over."

"What do you make of the dispute between the PFL and the HIFL?"

"I don't make anything of it. They wish to sign our players. Who can blame them for this? Next question."

"Were you in favor of the proposed treaty that would have seen the PFL paid 15 million dollars for peace?"

"It is not for me to say. I was not at the negotiating table and GM Gates was elected to represent the collective of General Managers. If this was the best that he could get to bring about peace? Then it should have been agreed to. I would wonder if the finances might have been better used paying for the best lawyers to enforce the breaking of contracts. I have never seen anything where contracts can simply be forfeited. They are binding agreements. I would think we would have some legal ground to demand those contracts be honored."

"How would you evaluate the performances of the General Managers that Gates selected for the summit?"

"From what I saw of it it was a massive display of individuals putting their own desires and grudges above what is good for the whole. In this sort of system, those who put their own self interests first must be quickly and firmly reprimanded if it is to be of any value. In this, I believe that GM Gates failed. A stronger, firmer touch with his constituents would have seen his deal across the line."

"Are you content with the selection of GM Pancho Veracruz De La Hoya Cardenal Libre as the interim GM Representative?

"After the display of childlike bickering shown between the other two nominees it was easy for me to vote for GM Pancho. I think that answers the question well enough, does it not?"

"There was a lot of big news that broke this week. What stood out most to you?"

"I take some issue with the reporting regarding the changes that were made with our team. There seems to be implication that because of the moves we made we should be expected to lose. Despite our moves we were able to win? I prefer to look at it as because of the moves we made, we were able to secure a victory. We improved our talent at the offensive tackle position, providing better protection for our young Quarterback. Yes, we gave up a significant piece in Scott Schwarz but what good is a top end tight end if your Quarterback does not have enough time to get the ball to him?

I implore you, members of the media, to not use such language when it comes to the New Jersey Dragons. Be fair and balanced in your reporting. Thank you."

"Though you have not been a member of the Dragons organization long, who would you select as your teams most valuable player and is there anyone you think needs to perform better going forward?"

"Reginald Duke is our Most Valuable Player. You will not find many in the world so devoted to the group that they are willing to step back from their position of prominence and power in order that another may thrive, and to be willing to help them to do so. I cannot speak highly enough of Mr. Duke.

Those who can be better? Perhaps our defense but only because we struggled to stop the high powered DC Cobras offense. This week, they showed their skill against the Underground. We need to be consistent on defense and perform at the level we did against Atlanta going forward."

With the trade deadline looming hand you, yourself, admitting that the team has entered a period of transition, do you see yourself making any further moves?

"I will not commit to making any more changes to our roster, but I am not opposed to continuing to make changes as well. It will depend on what offers are made and what players may be available from other teams."

"Looking forward to this week, you have another divisional game and this one is at home against the Amsterdam Smoke. What are your expectations?"

"This game may well be the make or break game for our season. A victory and we are firmly back in the wild card race. A loss and the playoff picture becomes very cloudy for us. Any divisional game is a challenge and this is a test I am anxious to see if we can pass or not. Kyle Wright has earned his first victory. Now, let us see if he can win truly significant games in front of the House of the Dragon."

Talon

A good first step.  Room to improve, yes, but a good win.

GM Storm

What do you know of Gregory Barbour? Is he someone you see as an important figure in our offense or is he surplus to requirements?

Talon

Last season he played decent for us in a rotational WR3/4 role, 54 catches, 689 yards, 5 TD, all career highs, but he also lost 4 fumbles.   This season he has not earned playing time, even when Russell was hurt, Dove Wheeler has passed him on the depth chart.  We can afford to part ways and save money, yes.

GM Storm

Good. I will speak with him and let him know we wish him the best of luck should he choose to accept the contract.

An, please have Gregory Barbour come and see me.

Talon

GM Storm

Mr. Barbour. Obviously I am aware of your contract offer from the PFL. Mr. Swope has informed me that you have fallen out of the rotation with the Wide Receivers. Because of this, we feel it is fair to inform you that if you wish to pursue the PFL offer we will wish you the best. However, if you would like to stay we will oblige you as well but cannot offer a greater role than what you currently have.

Talon

Alright man, I appreciate you lettin' me know. I'll get my paperwork signed asap so you can get to signing a replacement.

GM Storm

Thank you. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

STORM REFERENCES A DOCUMENT ON HIS COMPUTER AFTER GREGORY BARBOURS DEPARTURE.

An, with Mr. Barbour leaving us I now have us at 5.45 million in salary available with 750 thousand in bonus money. Do these figures match yours?

Talon

是的 Shì de ... Yes!

GM Storm

Thank you. I need to speak with Mr. Bobby Shapiro with that in mind.

WHILE STORM WAITS TO BE PUT IN TOUCH WITH BOBBY SHAPIRO HE STUDIES A LIST FROM THE NEWS THE PREVIOUS WEEK.

Mr. Shapiro, I have lost a client to the PFL and it is my understanding that you have some clients who would be open to coming to the HIFL. With the unfortunate injury to Clyde Colbert this week I am in need of a long term starting option at guard and I believe that Mr. Jewel Paige would fill that need nicely. I can not offer him a larger contract immediately this season but I can offer him 5 million for the remainder of this year and then three further seasons at 9 million. Would this be agreeable for you both?