CANCUN MUTINEERS [GM ELI]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 10:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talon

DAVID-ALLEN SLINGER PICKS UP THE WATCH AND POCKETS IT.  HE PULLS OUT HIS PHONE AND SENDS A TEXT, AND THEN TURNS TO GM ELI

Welp, they didn't have anything to say.  ..I'll let them cool off and talk to them again at practice and make sure we're all cool.

GM Eli

GM ELI SIGHS, SHAKING HIS HEAD SOMEWHAT DISAPPOINTED AND SENDS A BRIEF GLANCE TO COACH RHODES BEFORE RETURNING HIS ATTENTION TO SLINGER, WHO HAD APPARENTLY JUST FINISHED SENDING A TEXT MESSAGE OF SOME SORT.

"Sometimes silence speaks the loudest, son.

It'll be alright. We've got a big bye week ahead of us with a lot of work left to do. We'll talk again later. If not before the bye week is over then surely before our next game. Thanks, David."

Talon

SLINGER SHOOTS YOU A DOUBLE FINGER GUN AND A WINK AS HE EXITS

GM Eli

"Alright, coach. Now that that's done with...

I see it's becoming popular to get together with an NCAA school during the bye week for joint practices or scrimmages. Is there any tangible value to doing something like that?"

Talon

I've heard teams might manage a scouting report or two on players either currently in the pipeline for the draft or even underclassmen to watch, but it usually needs some regional tie in to work.. I don't think any college wants to send their kids to Cancun during the season, sounds like a receipt for boys gone wild vol. 11

GM Eli

"Yeah... I try and pretend I don't see half the things that I actually do see on my way home from the office most nights.

Let's make sure we're working the guys hard this week. At 1-8 there's no down time. We've got to keep grinding."

Talon

We'll grind like those co-eds when the newest Cardi B song drops.

GM Eli

I don't know who that is but they sound like one of those rap guys girlfriends.

Anyway.

We're going to be contributing to the potential end of the poaching spree but is there anyone out there you'd like me to go get if it all falls through, or if Pancho can't raise enough to put a full stop to things?

Talon

I like to keep my focus on the 53 on that practice field.

GM Eli

"Fair enough. Thanks, Coach. Make sure we've got DA and Lindsay battling against one another in practice this week. I promised Lindsay he'd get the shot and I don't want to renege on that."

-----

"Shakira, I've got our salary at 25.35MM and our bonus at 1.25MM after our donation to Ace Profits pocketbooks. Does that match with your books?"

Talon

GM Eli

"Thank you, Shakira. Would you please get Eli Harris on the line. Thanks."

-----

"Eli, GM Eli with the Mutineers. So currently Robert Dotson is on the final year of his deal making 7M plus 1.75M in bonus. I was wondering if we might adjust his contract and as incentive for him to do so, pay him 10M in salary this season with no bonus. That would basically equate to an extra 1.25M if he's willing to do this."

Talon

Jefe, sorry to interrupt , but Kate from the league office is on line 1, she says it is urgent.

GM Eli, I regret to inform you that it has been brought to our attention that your recent trade sending OT Richard Finn to Michigan is a direct violation of the league's rules against trading injured players.  Mr. Finn was listed as Questionable, which the rulebook stats is not eligible for trade.

As a result, the trade has been reversed.  In addition to the reversal your organization and Michigan must pay Mr. Finn's salary and he is released to free agency.  In this case, Michigan pays 4.25MM and Cancun pays 4.25MM in salary.     The other part of the penalty is a $1MM fine to your bonus cap for this season and a $3MM penalty to your bonus cap for next season.

Now, the $1MM bonus penalty puts your team over the league's bonus cap by $750K, which triggers the leagues penalty for violating the leagues bonus cap, meaning you are fined an additional $5MM to this years cap and $5MM to next years cap and the forfeiture of a roster spot for the remainder of this season.

In order to move forward, you must clear $5.75MM in bonus from your books, Mr. Finn's roster spot is open and therefor forfeited.  You may use your S16/17 off-season amnesty to clear that cap space if you would rather not release or trade a player(s) to comply.

GM Eli

"Kate, they gotta have you start making phone calls wishing GMs happy birthday or something. You've gotta have the worst job in all of the HIFL administration.

Thanks for making me aware of this giant snowball. I'll get to work on getting things corrected right away"

GM ELI GETS TO WORK ON FIXING THIS RIGHT AWAY.

GM Eli

"Now that that's taken care of, Shakira, will you get Jay C on the line for me please? Thank you."

-----

"Jay, we're thrilled to have D'Anthony here in Cancun and surprised that Las Vegas gave up on him the way they did. I'd like to work out a long term extension for him and was curious what that would look like. I was thinking something along the lines of 4 years at 9 million and would include an amendment to his current salary. He's currently making 6 million with 1 million in bonus. If he's interested in signing a long term contract with us we would be happy to amend his current contract to be for 9 million this season as well with no bonus money."

Talon

We were eying $9.5MM per season, but you giving us the $9MM right now for the extension, yeah you got a deal.

GM Eli

"Appreciate you, man. If D pops off during his contract I'll be reaching out to you to discuss ways we might market him to the Cancun fanbase. Take care, Jay."

-----

"Shakira, will you get Coach Rhodes back for me."

-----

"Well, Coach, I made a headache for myself but all in all things ended up okay. So talk to me about Philip Johnson and Leonard Schofield at corner. I think there will come a time when we need to decide which one is in our long term plans and which one we're going to move on from so having an idea of their skillsets will help me a lot in making that decision.

Talon

They're both pretty similar outside of their overall size/frame.  Philip has the speed edge, but Leonard isn't a slouch.  Philip is also the better in the football IQ department, neither is particularly a strong tackler and both have really good hands overall. 

GM Eli

"Thanks. We've got another trade coming through and barring anything unforeseen I think Coach Reno should be happy to have at least a little firepower on offense going forward."

Talon

Big get, I heard a lot of great things about him when he was coming out of the IFAF, a lot of Shawn Simon comps... let see if we can pull that out of him.   

GM Eli

"Good. I'm gonna chat with the new kids on the block and then we'll lock in for the bye. Get Slinger and Archibald geared up for their competition and I'll have their two newest weapons down momentarily."

-----

"Shakira, would you have D'Anthony Floyd and Yannick Morenau stop by? Thanks."

-----

"Gents, thanks for coming by. I know you're both coming from situations where you had hoped to be contending for an Impact Bowl this season and obviously being here in Cancun is.. well we're not at that point this season.

That said, D'Anthony, you are going to be our RB1 for the rest of the season. We'll use Jack to give you a breather here and there but we're going to give you the chance to shine that I know you want.

Yannick, I've heard that you were looking for an offense that emphasized the deep ball with their receivers and with Coach Reno here, and DA Slinger under center, I think you'll get what you're looking for as our top receiving option.

From my point of view I brought you both in expecting you to be pillars of this offense for years to come. We're not ready for a playoff push or Impact Bowl contention yet, obviously, but we're going to get there in part off of what you two do on that field."

Talon

Both of us hope to turn this team into a winner sooner rather than later, friend.  Thanks for the welcome.

GM Eli

"That's what I like to hear."

----

Bye Week Roster Updates

Set RB D'Anthony Floyd to RB1/Primary Running Back
Set RB Jack Ortiz to RB2

Set Running Back Carry split to 70% Floyd 30% Ortiz

Set WR Yannick Morenau to WR1/Primary Receiver
Set WR Garry Hutcherson to WR2
Set WR James McGee to WR3

Set OT Louis Ducket to RT1

Lock In

GM Eli

"Well the bye week was an eventful one for us. Some self inflicted wounds on my part but, at the end of the day, also some upgrades to our roster for the long haul. We're excited to see what D'Anthony Floyd and Yannick Morenau can do for us and we're excited about our young QB's challenging each other and pushing each other to be better.

I've been saying it all season long, the players we put out on that field on a week to week basis are going to be giving everything they have to try and secure victory. But this isn't a sprint. It's a marathon and we're getting ourselves ready for the long haul. The history and legacy of franchises like Alabama and Winnipeg don't happen overnight. It has taken time, meticulous planning and excellent coaching along with the accumulation of elite talent but none of it happened immediately. I know it is a big ask of Ms. La Llorona and the Mutineers fans to continue to be patient. They've been waiting a long time for a winner here. But I promise you... if you just stick with us I will build us a winning football team here. I promise that.

We've got a tough week coming up against a Vegas team that just took its defense to a new, nastier level with the acquisition of Timothy Cobbs. You've got to appreciate GM Metros ability to continue to acquire elite caliber players and still have a boat load of draft capital to work with as well. I don't know how he manages it every year but it's really a masterclass in asset accumulation.

We're really going to have to game plan and execute well if we want to keep up in this one.

Last, and certainly not least, the Mutineers organization wishes AJ the best in his recovery. I know the conversation right now is really focused on whether or not he will ever return to the football field. But lets also be concerned about just the young man and the quality of life he'll have after being done with football, whenever that is. I hope that he has surrounded himself with people who will encourage him to make the best decision for himself and his family, and not worry about what the organization might want."

-----

"Coach, obviously the question everyone is itching to know is how the competition between Slinger and Archibald went.

And then my second question is how do we keep either of them from getting absolutely murdered by Cobbs, TWII and Obaje?

Talon

Slinger is still the better quarterback. Protecting him, that's the question.   I'd like to think I know how to stop my father's defense, but the sheer volume of talent they have on that d-line against what we have right now on offense, I don't want to lie to you and say we've got a master plan.  Trying to keep extra guys in to block, chipping with the running back, hoping to get a few early runs in to make them respect the run... but in the end, they are extremely talented.

GM Eli

I don't think either of them would like it but I'm almost tempted to let Matty Artopoeus start just to keep our other guys from getting obliterated. I think the interior of our line can hold up but I'm not so sure about our tackles.

But I don't know... it feels cheap to toss Matty out there like a sacrificial lamb.

Talon

It does, but in the end you're the boss.

If you need me to back your play and say that the QB competition is getting a closer look and we're giving Matt a chance, I'll do it, but if I have to pick a starter based on skill, I'd still go with Slinger.

GM Eli

"Yeah we're gonna roll with Slinger and just hope our guys can keep that ridiculous d-line out of the backfield. But... just in case...

Shakira, if our QB's get mauled by the Vegas defense lets make sure that we keep the media out of their faces. We don't need a repeat of a couple of weeks ago."

Talon

GM Eli

"Thank you.

Coach, that's all I've got for the week for you. Best of luck with practice and preparation.

Shakira, whenever the boss is ready for me I am free."

Talon

Hola Senor Weber..  This season has been anything but pretty.  I will be watching your draft class very carefully, lets hope we look back at this season as the one that put together a draft we use as a foundation for a dynasty.

GM Eli

"I would expect no less from you. Be assured that I also am watching them closely. I have confidence in what we are building and think that the likes of Gerardo Shrader and Michael Harris have both shown what they are capable of. We just need to get them there consistently.

Our young QB Lindsay Archibald continues to show promise but needs to continue to build his game in several facets. He will get there, though, with the guidance of someone like Coach Reno. I watched first hand what he was able to do with Aaron Kitchen in my early seasons in St. Paul and am confident he can do the same with Lindsay.

I know that this season is not what you had hoped it would be, and I know that the 500 mark is something you want to see us achieve sooner rather than later. I give you my word we will get there and beyond. It just takes time."

Talon

Trust me, GM Eli, I will hold you to that promise.   Don't make mami wait too long.

GM Eli

"I wouldn't dream of it."

Talon

Anything else, jefe?

GM Eli

"Nope that's it from me. Just going to reiterate our depth chart changes from the bye week in case things got overlooked during the week off."

----

Set RB D'Anthony Floyd to RB1/Primary Running Back
Set RB Jack Ortiz to RB2

Set Running Back Carry split to 70% Floyd 30% Ortiz

Set WR Yannick Morenau to WR1/Primary Receiver
Set WR Garry Hutcherson to WR2
Set WR James McGee to WR3

Set OT Louis Duckett to RT1

Lock In

GM Eli

"Well... tell me David-Allen Slinger isn't the toughest kid on the planet...

I don't know what all to say to be honest. 19 sacks is unacceptable. So let me just confirm that yes, there will be changes to our offensive line starting this week. And yes, we'll be putting D.A. through extensive testing to make sure he's good. I would anticipate, in spite of the fact that his name isn't on the injured list this week, that we'll be giving someone else the opportunity under center this week. I don't know that I can let a kid who just got sacked 19 freaking times in one game go out there one week later and put himself at risk again and still feel like I'm looking out for his long term best interests...

But we'll see. That's just my gut feeling right now.

I do want to give some credit to our defense, though. Vegas is an Impact Bowl contender in large part because of their defense but their offense is also talented to and to neutralize SJax and Pierce the way that we did, and to keep their running game in check, is something we can be proud of.

Onto the next one, though. Some are calling this game against Milwaukee the tank bowl and while I understand the humor in that I think it's a little bit insulting. It's insulting to guys like Slinger who go out there and are getting murdered every week trying to bring these fans here in Cancun the victories that they deserve.

We'll worry about the draft when the offseason rolls around. Right now, we're focused on improving week in and week out and giving the men in this locker room who show they want to fight for their spot the opportunity to prove they belong. Are we winning an impact bowl this year? No, I think at this point we can all readily admit that isn't happening. The same can be said about any playoff aspirations there might have been. But we are focused on building a winning culture and the only way you do that is by winning.

That's where our focus is right now and our next chance to make that happen is with the Barons this week.

-----

"Coach, I don't care how he feels about it I want Slinger checked out by the medical staff every day. He seems like a kid who might try and hide an injury to make sure he stays on the field.

Lets make sure we're prepping Matty Artopoeus to start this week. Even if nothing comes back from the doctor, I want D.A. to take a breather this week. But lets just be extra dilligent in making sure there's nothing hidden with him that could become a long term issue."

Talon

Our most winnable game of the year and we're benching our QB? ...are you saying we're tanking without saying we're tanking?

GM Eli

"If we were tanking I'd tell you to set our rotation to mostly backups but I'm not going to do that. Instead, what i'm saying is that our QB looks like Rocky Balboa at the end of the first Rocky film. 19 sacks, Coach. If I took one sack from Cobbs or TWII I wouldn't leave my bed for weeks and that kid just took 13 between just those two alone.

You really feel good about sending that kid out there again this week after that?"

Talon

You're the boss.  We'll sit him and let him get healthier, no argument.

GM Eli

"Just let me think on it for a bit and maybe get beyond what I saw him go through against Vegas.

This kid we picked up at tackle from free agency, Mauricio Trejo.. does he have any ability at all? I'd like to start Fournier at center, Pemberton at RG and maybe Trejo at RT if he can play at all. Six sacks allowed out of Duckett is abysmal and Harris and Trujillo didn't perform much better either. Granted that defensive line is incredible but we need more out of them than that."

Talon

We won't know until he plays.  He's got decent technique, he's just not that strong. 

GM Eli

"Screw it. Lets give the kid a shot. I'll make note of it in our lock in.

I'm going to talk to David-Allen and see where his head is at and then I'm going to take a moment and consider what I want to do before locking us in for the week. Would you mind sending him up after we're done here?"

Talon

GM Eli

"I hear you...

So... we've got a winnable game coming up this week with the Barons. And on one hand it would be good to see you be able to get into a rhythm and flow with the offense against a team whose defense can be exploited.

But.. I have some reservations about sending you out there this week after what you just endured against Vegas. So talk to me. Tell me what you want to do. Because another game taking that kind of abuse... man that could be dangerous to your long term health and career."

Talon

Yeah... I don't want to stand behind those clowns until they prove they can protect the damn quarterback.  Its ridiculous.

GM Eli

"I hear you, man. We're gonna get this right. There's not much I can do at this point in the season but getting you the help you need up front is going to be a top priority this off season. But I need to know if you're serious, or if that's just frustration talking."

Talon

Give me a week to think about it.  Right now, I'm dead serious.

GM Eli

"Alright, we'll sit you this week then but I still want you going through the usual process. Get your film study in and all of that, but also helping to prep the squad for this game with the Barons."

Talon

Sounds good. I'll make sure ArtPop is ready.