CHARLOTTE CROWS [VACANT / CPU]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 10:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Lane

Hello Dani,
Let's bring in Mike "Money" Maker.

=========================================
Welcome to Charlotte, Mike, I'd like to bring on OT Robert McKenzie for 4 years at $3MM per year and DT Earl Christian for 1 year at $4MM

Talon

We'll agree to both of those deals.

GM Lane

Alright Dani,
We're going to bulk offer to close this out.

WR Omarion Green-Beckham - 3 years $4.5MM per year
RB John Reyes - 1 year $5MM
LB William Sherwood - 2 years $4MM per year
DE Sigmund Burrell - 2 years $4MM per year
TE Mauricio Lopez - 1 year $6.5MM

Talon

Here is what I have heard back:

WR Omarion Green-Beckham - Accepted.

RB John Reyes - Already signed with New Jersey.

LB William Sherwood - Accepted.

DE Sigmund Burrell - Counters with a 2 year deal worth 5MM this year and 8MM next year.

TE Mauricio Lopez - Accepted.

GM Lane

Accepting Burrell's counter.
======================================
Let's finish this offseason out
K James Sigler - 2 years $750K
P Clay Toledo - 2 years $800K
CB Roger Jacobsen - 2 years $5MM
SS Michael Thurston - 2 years $3MM

Talon

Everyone but Thurston, who signed with Tucson earlier agrees!  That puts us at a 52, but if we do those 2 year deals for our kickers we're going to be in violation.  So better make them 1 year 1MM.

GM Lane

Thank you Dani. Now for the last bit, we need to sign SS Carl Hawkins to a 1 year $5MM deal.

Talon

He agrees.  NOW we are at 53 and can lock in!

GM Lane

Let's lock in!

Amazing by Kanye West ft. Young Jeezy - https://youtu.be/PH4JPgVD2SM?si=3Z_KPXAMiizAzzdU
(played upon team run out)

Here Comes the Boom by Nelly - https://youtu.be/Hj-HlFw4xfY?si=2OOdqA3tzhtOlUXY
(played for sacks and turnovers)

Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N' Roses - https://youtu.be/o1tj2zJ2Wvg?si=snZRv-IDMh-CPzl7
(start of the 4th quarter)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BwTzQHCjmlSN4P0ymShkvqVXUPCF3V7_/edit#gid=938872395

Talon

...and here is our team sheet!

Talon

YOU HAVE 60 HOURS TO ADVANCE YOUR THREAD

GM Lane

QB1: Fabian Vardy
QB2: Allen Porter

RB1: Todd Crenshaw
RB2: Jeff Carmona
RB3: Arnoldo Hammond

FB: Mathias Fuscher

TE1: Mauricio Lopez
TE2: Alexander Massie

WR1: Andres Henry
WR1b/WR4: Jeremy Johnson

WR2: Omarion Green-Beckham
WR2b/WR5: Alvin Drummond

WR3: Christopher Boatwright
WR3b: Johnny Jarvis

LT1: Robert Herndon
LT2: Kevin Holloway

LG1: John Bear
LG2: Carl Beal

C1: Darrell Nichols
C2: Douglas McFadden

RG1: David Hill
RG2: Gary Lefthand

RT1: Robert McKenzie
RT2: Benjamin Barba

DT1: Poseidon Antetokounmpo
DT2: Earl Christian
DT3: Shawn Oakman
DT4:Dale Pulley

LDE1: Manuel Corbett
LDE2: Don Coles

RDE1: Sigmund Burrell
RDE2: Cameron Casey

LOLB1: Michael Parker
LOLB2: Aaron Harris

ROLB1: William Sherwood
ROLB2: John Shaffer

MLB1: Keith Montoya
MLB2: Roger Espinoza

CB1: David Southerland
CB1b/CB5: Richard Tuggle

CB2: Roger Jacobsen
CB2b/CB6: Mike Underwood

CB3: Carl Hawkins
CB3b: Arthur Banks

CB4: Roger Spears
CB4b:

FS1: Jeffrey Hughes
FS2: Josef Messer

SS1: Dan Briggs
SS2: Carl Hawkins

K:James Sigler

P: Clay Toledo

KR1: Johnny Jarvis
KR2: Arthur Banks
KR3: Alvin Drummond
KR4: Arnoldo Hammond

PR1: Johnny Jarvis
PR2: Arnoldo Hammond
PR3: Arthur Banks

INACTIVE PLAYERS
QB Bertram Boone

GM Lane

Talon

We've missed our press conference, which has drawn our only warning from the league office.  Any future missed press conferences this season will result in a $100K fine from our bonus fund.

Please note that a fine that puts us over the bonus cap will result in standard penalties, which can be devastating.

We also can not lock in for Week 1 until we have a a legal 53 man roster, so double check all of your figures and make any roster moves necessary to be in compliance.

Coach is ready to chat whenever you are.

GM Lane

Bring coach in.

==================================
Coach, the preseason was rough, but we were expecting some upheaval this season. Does Vardy need to be benched to motivate him? He should have excelled in the preseason, yet he was awful. I need to cut a player, I was leaning towards Bertram Boone, but I need to know I have two solid options in the QB room. Also, what other adjustments do you think we should make? I need to see a pass rush that actually puts the opposing QB under duress most of the game.

Talon

Boonie is an average QB, perfectly serviceable QB3 or lower end QB2, but he is expendable.

As for benching Vardy, if you did that, you might as well release him and save all that money off of his contract.   Currently, cutting someone only costs us 10% of their S17 salary and 50% of future years, so we'd be on the hook for only $2MM against the cap this year and $10MM next year. 

If we planned to take a QB next year in the draft, that money wouldn't really hurt us.

...that is, if we wanted to tank for Tyler Horan of UNC.

Now if we want to be competitive and try to win games, benching or cutting Vardy is Ludacris. 

GM Lane

Cutting Vardy would save us money. We wouldn't be competitive offensively, but defensively, we could at least set the framework for the best defense in the league in a year or so. The real question here is, do you feel with this roster, we can make a run at the playoffs? Or do you feel it a moot point since we likely won't resign Vardy anyway. I don't want to make the playoffs every couple of years and fizzle out early. I want sustained success. Vardy or Boone? Who do we release?

Talon

Thankfully for me, I'm not the GM, so I dont have to make that call. 

All I can say is if we are going to cut Vardy, we explore trading other pieces and commit to a total rebuild.  Moving on from guys like Boatwright etc, guys who would likely not re-sign, or are on the 30+ side of things.

Defensively, We have great pieces.  I dont think we have a real franchise DE at either DE spot though, which is tough and outside of Southerland we lack high end CB talent.   

Those two things combine for a defense that is going to have some struggles in this league.

GM Lane

We're going to move TE Brian Johns up on the depth chart. Alexander Massie is gone. We're sticking with Vardy.

LOCK IN

GM Lane

1. Talk us through opening week, what went as expected?  Where did you exceed expectations, and where did you fall short?
Opening week was a whirlwind. Our coaching staff and team performed very well considering the low expectations hanging over our heads. Our primary receivers were lights out and performed better than I expected. We fell short down the stretch. We just couldn't hold the lead. This is something we will need to work on. The game is 60 minutes. Not 59.

2. Which player stood out the most to you from your opponents team?
Carl McConnell was incredible. Just not happy he did it against us. He was in the backfield so much I thought he might be wearing the wrong jersey.

3. Why did you decide to keep Fabien Vardy?
Vardy is someone that has earned his keep in this league. My idea of possibly not having him was just part of the job. He played well and did what I want him to do.

4. Do you feel like you put your team in the best position for success coming into this week 1 game?
As good as I could for a roster shakeup. There are obviously chemistry issues we need to work on. We will address any holes we see during the week.

5. Talk about your opponent for week 2 and what you will need to see from your team.
Atlanta played a tough game against Myrtle Beach. We can't just expect to win. We must play tough and get after their QB. If we do that, we win.

Talon

We got some pass rush this week, especially inside with Poseidon and Oakman,  Atlanta gave up a ton of pressures to Myrtle Beach last week.  If we can replicate that, we should have an edge.

Vardy hasn't made a scene after the rumors of him being on the chopping block swirled.  Surprised you addressed that to the public, but it was straight forward and left no room for spin from the media.

GM Lane

The MSM is fake news. We will keep control of the narrative with this organization. I expect to see a ton of pressure by our pass rush. This should give our safeties plenty of opportunities to undercut routes. You have my complete trust. Feel free to make all the decisions. I would say, one recommendation would be to make sure our fullback is touching the ball.

============================================
Coach is in control.
LOCK IN

GM Lane

1. Talk about your teams performance this week.
One word. Embarrassing. I know it's a partial rebuild, but to not even be competitive is ridiculous. It starts with me. So I take full responsibility for not putting coach and the team in a position to win.

2. How do you feel about your team after two weeks?
Not great, but we knew there would be kinks. This is something we need to address internally. Family business. Nothing further for you to know

3. What is the status of star Cornerback Roger Jacobsen?
He has a torn ligament in his wrist. He's out for at least four weeks. He's critical to our pass defense. We will have to work hard as a team to cover while he's recovering.

4. Talk about your opponent for week 3 and what you will need to see from your team.
Myrtle Beach is a great team. We have our work cut out for us. We need to put pressure on the QB as much as we can. That being said, we have to not only focus on defense. Their defense is good as well. We need to pull out all the stops to get a win. We must put up points in bunches. Myrtle Beach is a good organization with a strong team. Beating them strategically is difficult, but can be done.

GM Lane

Dani...bring in coach. We need to chat.

Talon

Well shitting the bed wasn't in the gameplan, but hopefully it serves as a wake up call.   We've got some people chirping at each other in the locker room, which is obviously an issue we'll need to address.

GM Lane

Yeah. I know I haven't given you all the tools you need, but damn. That's ok. We're onto the next week. We need to address how we're going to cover for these injuries. And we need to discuss who is chirping. Who is causing issues? Why was Crenshaw only handed the ball six times? He's our starting back. Should we skew our run/pass balance to more of a 50/50?

Talon

I think a common mistake in play calling when a non-coach sets the ratios is that people see 2nd and long and thing "we have to pass." when in reality you should be closer to 50/50 because an incompletion on 1st down or a short run means 2nd and long, and if you pass too much on 2nd and long you'll just never run the ball.

When it comes to the locker room issues, Briggs has had a lot to say about Vardy and David Hill on the offensive line.

GM Lane

Alright, so we're going to adjust our decisions for down and distance. You and your coordinators make the decisions. Cover for our injuries in the secondary as best you can. I will address Briggs. Thank you, coach. I appreciate all you do.

======================================================================================
Hey Dani, bring in Dan Briggs.

======================================================================================
Thanks for coming in, Dan. I understand your frustration. Hell, I'm frustrated. One thing you don't do is whine about your team to the media. We handle in house issues IN HOUSE. The media is always looking to get some fodder and bulletin board material. If you have concerns coach isn't address, and I mean you've spoken to him a few times and he hasn't addressed it...then come to me. As long as you're doing your part, being a good teammate, and being a good sport...coach and I will handle the rest. If you have further grievances air them now.

Talon

Yeah, I got frustrated.  Losing sucks man.. I got drafted by bum-ass Cancun and I balled out.  187 tackles in two years, doing all the work.  I get here to Charlotte, expecting to join a team that is able to win and then boom, right into a rebuild and its the same shit man.. Players not doing their job.    That bum ass David Hill, man.   He doesn't give his all, never does.  He's lazy.  I hate that.

Then you got Pretty Boy Vardy, I get it... he's got to stand up for his offensive players, he's a captain, he's a leader, but I'm not taking disrespect from him or anyone else, either.  I'm not afraid to put a dude on blast when he's being a punk ass bitch.

GM Lane

Thank you for your passion and your drive to win. We will get there. You are 1 of 22 starters. I'll talk to David Hill. Make sure he's doing his job. And you're right, Vardy is doing his job as captain and leader. If you step out of line, the captains are supposed to talk to you. As for putting on blast, that's fine to voice your opinion. Again, it will be done in house. Thanks for stopping in.

====================================================================================
Dani, bring David Hill in.

====================================================================================
David, I brought you in to get your perspective on your effort. I've spoken to an individual in the organization that feels you don't give it your all. We signed you, we expect your full commitment to this team just like everyone else. Am I out of line in thinking you haven't been giving it your all?

Talon

Yo, who's out here watching what I do instead of focusing on their own life. Stay in your lane, Narcs.

Shit, You don't see me out here talking about guys sharing upskirts of the cheerleaders during team meetings or any of that mess, I don't need someone worrying about me.  I do me. They do them.  This isn't some church camp where someone has to make sure Im in bed at 10 PM... maaaan, come on.

GM Lane

Watching what you do? Your performance is public. I believe you're crazy talented. Just mind your attitude and you'll be an owner in this league one day. Give us 100% and you'll get 100% back. Go dominate this week!

====================================================================
Hey Dani, I have a statement for the media. Tell them to go find TMZ garbage elsewhere. We don't have time for them trying to create division.

====================================================================
Coaches have full control over down and distance now.

LOCK IN!

GM Lane

1. Talk about your teams performance this week.
We took it down to the wire. We played well and showed the league we're no pushovers. It's going to be a long season, but we will continue to make statements like this.

2. Do you feel a particular coach has stood out on your staff, and why?

Our head coach John Hawley really took the message from the suite to the field. His message is simple. Make your opponents dread playing you. He's done exactly that.

3. Talk about your opponent for week 4, do you see any holes in their game that you can exploit?
We can exploit them the same way we exploit other teams, pass rush mixed with ground and pound. If we put Hensley on his back enough, it's going to be a long day for them. We need to make sure that we grind this out and make life easy for our secondary.

4. How is it looking on the injury front?
We are starting to get some key pieces back. We're still a few weeks out from being a full strength, but we're getting there. The way we played last week left little doubt that we can cover our weaknesses due to injury.

GM Lane

Hey Dani. Can you bring in Coach Hawley?

========================================================================
Great work this week, Coach! You are definitely pushing the team in the right direction. As far as our injuries, for our probables, would you want them to sit out one more week just to be safe, or do you feel confident in their return to be injury free? How is the locker room feeling?

Talon

With injuries, I'm of the belief if the medical team clears them at game time, we let them play.  No need to sit anyone extra.

As far as the locker room, nobody likes losing, but this game was close and that was a step forward.  The team is hunting that first win, so there is a focus which is good.

GM Lane

I'm glad things are looking up. As far as players we want to keep past this year, is there anyone that doesn't fit your scheme and system that I don't need to bother resigning?

Talon

Its too early to tell. Lets circle back later in the season.

GM Lane

Thank you coach.

=====================================
No changes.

LOCK IN

Talon

The league is really sent for a loop this week. If you have anything we need to do, just let me know but if not I've got nothing that can't wait.

GM Lane

This was quite a blow this week. You never really expect something like this. Coach, I don't have much for you other than making sure our injured players get the rest they need this week and we try to find a way to break the seal on the passing game. I feel like we can achieve more there. I expect pass defense to really improve with players becoming healthy. Great work on the win last week. Thank you.

=======================================================================
Hey Dani, bring in the media.

=======================================================================
1. Talk about your teams performance this week and through out this first quarter of the season.
A gutsy performance to say the least. We want to perform better each week, but there are no legitimate concerns with the way the team and coaching staff handled the game. As far as the first quarter of the season, it's about what we expected with staff and roster changes. We expect to rest up this week and build on the momentum.

2. How do you feel about your players placement in the league leaders, a quarter of the way through the season?  Who is an unsung hero on this roster?
Let's be honest, with injuries, new staff, and new rosters...there is definitely room to improve for individuals or even the team to show out as league leaders. Clay Toledo seems to be MVP so far. Hopefully he can return to just being our most valuable punter and not our most valuable player.

3. Talk about your opponent for week 5, do you see any holes in their game that you can exploit?
I think it's going to be a long battle. Do we rest too much? Only time will tell if we can conquer ourselves during this BYE week.

3b.  If you are on a bye this week, discuss your number one goal for the bye week.
We're gonna ice up, son. Got some injuries that need to heal and I want our staff to address our shortcomings.

GM Lane

That's all for now.
LOCK IN!

GM Lane

Hello Dani,

I'm ready for the press conference.

We are finally healthy. This is great news and the BYE week was a great week of rest and planning for our guys. Coach has our boys ready to play against Bama.

Dani, bring in coach.

Coach how are you feeling with our roster being healthy and having back the pieces you need to compete. Can we beat Bama and show the league we're not just tanking?

Talon

Alabama hasn't had the same bite they usually do, but Ortega is still the most dangerous runner in the league.  Defensively they are playing lights out.  19 ppg, 2nd ranked in yards allowed, 3rd vs the run and 2nd vs the pass, so We have to capitalize on scoring chances when they come.

GM Lane

That's good to know. How is the locker room feeling? I want to get a good temperature of the chemistry and potential performances over the coming weeks.

Talon

Morale isn't great.  Being 1-3 just tends to impact guys.  Hopefully getting another win can bring guys back up.  Chemistry is building though.    One thing to watch is the trade market.   Guys like Hawkins, Beal, Burrell, Boatwright, Oakwood, Sherwood... those are guys that if we do keep losing are older and could have value to contenders while bringing us back either younger pieces to develop or draft picks.   Not saying we should go fire selling, but with those guys being some of the ones who are lower in morale as veterans, its something to keep an ear to the ground about.

GM Lane

Sounds good. Go out this week and win!

================================
LOCK IN

GM Lane

Hey Dani,
Bring in the press.

Well, that wasn't the performance we were hoping for. With Jacobsen still out, we're struggling on the back end. Ultimately, this is a learning experience for our defense. The offense put up too few points and the defense had too few stops. All around, not what we wanted. Aside from Jacobsen, we remain healthy.

Bring in coach.

Coach, with us being five games into the season, I'm going to ask you what you want me to get done from a personnel stance. We have some suitors for a Crenshaw and Bear. Also, should we start letting veterans go where they want since it's the twilight of their career? We may be able to pick up some picks that could put us in a good position for next season.

I'm not one to throw in the towel, it just seems we're lacking a bit too much on defense to be a postseason contender. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Talon

If you are confident in your ability to scout when the time comes, then getting picks and getting your players into the system is a good call.   I think we have enough holes in the roster that we can't realistically make a turnaround that makes a meaningful run.   I don't want to tank and start a bunch of 3rd stringers, because I don't believe in a losing culture, but if you choose to move guys you know won't be in our long term plans, I'm not going to throw a bitch fit either.

GM Lane

Alright coach. Sounds good. Give me three players that you're fine giving up for picks. Ones that losing wouldn't trigger the losing culture. I'm getting some interest on Crenshaw. Based on our games, it looks like we're under utilizing him.

Talon

Well, As the GM that's more your department. I coach who I am given to coach.

If I had to pick some guys though, I'd say Carmona or Crenshaw, whichever you don't want to keep.

John Bear or Carl Beal, because we have depth at guard, and the league is hurting for o-line help.

and Robert Hendon.  He is not going to re-sign with us, and he's our top tackle, so he should have good value.

Bonus name, I'd say if we can move Boatwright to a team to give him a fresh start he would probably do well on a contender and it might boost team morale in general as he's not well liked in our locker room.