MIAMI KILLER WHALES [GM JUSTIN]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 10:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Gates

Sounds good. Hopefully as the games go he gets that stamina built back up.

Anything we need to discuss about the team this week coach? Otherwise I think we are good to go.

Talon

I'm ready when you are.

GM Gates

Then let's get to it.

Lock In

GM Gates

Another big win for this team that has helped vault us into first place in the division. We had to fight for the win and fight off a hungry Crows team that has nothing to lose. We got out to a nice lead early but that second half was a different story. We outlasted the Crows though and Greenwood made a spectacular pass deflection in the final moments to seal the deal for us.

Now we need to take it a step farther and keep that first half pressure on all game and not let the opponent back into it. We can do that, I know we can, we just have to put it into practice.

Next game is against Oakland and this will be a good one. Oakland has a good offensive and defensive lines, so we will need to make sure we are protecting Kitchen and getting after Daley hard all game. We can't let up because if we give them too much time then they can hurt us with their offensive weapons. But the same can be said for us. If Kitchen can get the time, we can make it count on offense. It's going to be a fantastic game.

Talon

Just like that, back on top of the division.  Lets keep it that way.

GM Gates

I definitely want to keep it that way.

The games get tougher though starting with Oakland.

They have a great pass rush and a great offensive line. Do you think increasing the blitz percent will help us get to Daley more to disrupt him?

Talon

I do, the pressure is important.

GM Gates

How aggressive do you want to be in these changes?

Talon

I do think we need to go crazy or anything.

GM Gates

Looking at our pre-season preferences, I don't know if there's a lot we need to change. How do these look?

1ST AND 10- 62
1ST AND SHORT - 60
1ST AND MEDIUM - 74
1ST AND LONG - 49
2ND AND SHORT - 51
2ND AND MEDIUM - 55
2ND AND LONG - 65
3RD AND SHORT - 46
3RD AND MEDIUM - 53
3RD AND LONG - 70
4TH AND SHORT - 65
4TH AND MEDIUM - 65
4TH AND LONG - 68
GOAL LINE - 57
END OF GAME/HALF (WINNING) - 67
END OF GAME/HALF (LOSING) - 74

Talon

GM Gates

Excellent. And lastly, our defensive attitude is currently balanced. Should we bump that up to aggressive or is that too much of an all or nothing approach?

Talon

I wouldn't up the aggression, we dont want to add penalties and big plays allowed.

GM Gates

Alright then let's get another win.

————————

Strategy/Depth Chart Changes:

Blitz Ratio Changes: 
1ST AND 10 - 62%
1ST AND SHORT - 60%
1ST AND MEDIUM - 74%
1ST AND LONG - 49%
2ND AND SHORT - 51%
2ND AND MEDIUM - 55%
2ND AND LONG - 65%
3RD AND SHORT - 46%
3RD AND MEDIUM - 53%
3RD AND LONG - 70%
4TH AND SHORT - 65%
4TH AND MEDIUM - 65%
4TH AND LONG - 68%
GOAL LINE - 57%
END OF GAME/HALF (WINNING) - 67%
END OF GAME/HALF (LOSING) - 74%

No other changes

Lock In

GM Gates

That was a horrible game. Oakland is a good team and they put us in our place quickly and we never recovered. Our offensive line did nothing to give Kitchen time to breathe, and we weren't able to overcome it. Our defense grew tired early because we didn't have the ball long enough to give them a break and the Silverbacks just steam rolled us.

We have three important games left, and we need to win. We need to win these three games if we want to have a chance at anything after week 17. I'm not worried about any other factors we just need to win.

It starts with DC who are on a mission to clinch. I would love nothing more than to go in there and ruin that prospect for them and steal a win.

———————

Coach, that was a shit show. I know I didn't do a great job at fixing our line mid season, and I know Vegas also got hammered by Oakland, but man does it suck.

We basically need to win out here to have a chance at the playoffs. One loss and we can probably kiss that prospect goodbye.

Talon

That was embarrassing. I'm at a loss for words after that.

GM Gates

Me too, coach.

At this point we just try our hardest to win games the way we are set up. We need wins in a bad way and we might even need some help.

Talon

All we can do is win the games on our schedule.  We do our part and let the chips fall where they may.

GM Gates

Then let's go out there and win.

Lock In

Talon

TWO WEEKS REMAIN.  FEEL FREE TO LOCK IN FOR BOTH WEEKS, IF YOU WANT TO

GM Gates

That was an ugly game. In fact the past two weeks have been ugly. We never got a chance to get started because of the pressure we were attempting to fight off. We never got our foot in the door. It was the same against Oakland. And it falls on me. My vision and the execution of that vision did not line up. What I thought we could do and what we have been able to do are not lining up.

And yet we still have a chance to win the division. Not that it will be easy with the way Alabama and Cancun are playing, but there's still a chance. We're going to have to ball out and put it all on the line.

I know we can do it. I believe this team can do it. The last few weeks might not have highlighted that but I do. We can win this division and we can make some noise this season.

———————

Coach, first I want to apologize for how I let you down. I failed to build this team the way I should have and it may very well cost us both our jobs here.

But I don't want to go out quietly. With the division still in play or even just making life tough for Alabama and Cancun.

If that means we need to change things up for these last two weeks, I want to do that. Whatever might give us the best chance at success. It's a long shot, but it's a shot I feel like I owe it to this team to take.

Talon

Alright, it obviously starts with the pressure we're giving up.  We need to give Maria some more touches I guess, and cut our passing from deep ball focused to something else, I don't think we should run a short game, but either medium or balanced.

GM Gates

Balanced is what I was thinking that way we throw a little of everything in there. Hopefully that allows us to protect Aaron somewhat on these finals two games. And we will increase the run with Maria so that we aren't waiting for the pas as often.

Defensively I'm going to put Gray back outside and Brookins back inside at corner. I don't think they were the main factors we weren't winning but our pass defense, as poor as it has been on and off this season, seemed better before I made that switch.

Talon

GM Gates

Then let's do it coach. We still have something to play for whether it be the division, the playoffs or to ruin other Gulf Coast teams hopes.

————————

Strategy/Depth Chart Changes:
Passing Preference: Balanced
Willian Gray to CB2 on all formation/depth charts
Patrick Brookins to CB3 on all formations/depth charts
Increase the run according to head coach Jose/coaches decision.

Lock in

Talon

END OF SEASON PRESS CONFERENCE

1. Aaron Kitchen was battered and beaten all season long, is this the leading contributor to your teams disappointing season and who is to blame for that?

2. How do you feel about your job security moving into the off-season?

3. Do you have faith that Trevor Jose is the right coach for the job here in Miami?

WHEN YOU HAVE CONCLUDED YOUR PRESS CONFERENCE YOU WILL BE LOCKED UNTIL THE PRE-OFFSEASON (POST-IMPACT BOWL WEEK)

GM Gates

1. Aaron Kitchen was battered and beaten all season long, is this the leading contributor to your teams disappointing season and who is to blame for that?

I would say that our inability to protect Aaron was definitely a contributing factor to our disappointing season. We had issues stopping other teams on defence as well, but we also couldn't get the ball rolling consistently on offence. As for who is to blame? I guess that blame falls on me. I could point the fingers at the offensive line and the offensive line coach, but at the end of the day it all leads back to me. I brought in a quarterback who favored the long ball and the players we had on our line could not handle that. Players that I brought in. The offensive line coach we had was brought in based on my budget. I tried to remedy our issues all season, I had our scouts looking through countless film on various linemen, I made moves to bring in players who I thought would help but they turned out to be bandaids that didn't stick long enough to protect anything. So yeah, I blame myself for how poorly things went this season.

2. How do you feel about your job security moving into the off-season?

I don't feel good about it, if I'm being honest. Outside of our goals to start the season there were certain internal expectations and they were not met. And I believe we failed all of our goals as well. It was made clear to me that if we had a bad season, changes will need to be made. I just don't know where those changes start and how high they go. And without a contract for next season, there's a chance I'm not re-upped to stay here in Miami and instead have to find a new home.

3. Do you have faith that Trevor Jose is the right coach for the job here in Miami?

After last season I approached Trevor about a contract extension and we settled on a one year deal since that's all I had left on my contract in Miami. I had faith in him then and I have faith in him now. However it's not always as easy as if I have faith in him. There are always other questions that need to be asked before we get to that point and that's even if I am back in Miami. For all I know, the playoffs end and I'm on the road somewhere else.

Talon

I'm sorry things didn't go the way we had planned.  It just seemed like every lever we pulled just blew up in our face in the long run.   Hopefully we can get a chance at redemption next year.  We'll talk at after the Impact Bowl and see what the future holds.

See you around, CJ.

Talon

Gates, I told you last year I don't like spending my money on disappointment, and I was definitely disappointed when we didn't even make the playoffs..  I'm not saying we aren't bringing you back, but I'm going to be real with you, I'm shopping around.

Talon

THE PRESS GATHERS TO HEAR GM JUSTIN ADDRESS HIS DECISION TO LEAVE DC FOR MIAMI

GM Justin

"The decision to leave DC was not one I was expecting to make nor was it an easy one.  I am happy with what we were able to accomplish in DC, improving each season and ending up as the number one seed this season.  However, once I was approached about the Miami opening I did some deep reflection.  After that reflection, I decided that DC needed a new voice at the top.  We had three straight playoffs with losses on a field goal.  I decided that I could have done some things differently which would have put us in a position to win those games.  Therefore, I made the difficult decision to leave.

With that being said, I come to South Beach fully aware of the expectations of Mr. Biggs and I am ready to turn this franchise into a dynasty.  South Beach and the city of Miami, here I come!"

Talon

Hello GM Justin,

I am Selena and I'll be your assistant and PR relations secretary.  I've heard I need to have the censors on stand by for your post game press conferences, but outside of that if you need anything else I'll be happy to help.

Once we get to the off-season I'll provide you with the most up-to-date roster sheet for our club, but in the meantime I'll let you get comfortable and if you want to speak to anyone, feel free.

GM Justin

Hey Selena, a pleasure to meet you. Yea, please have the censor team ready for pressers.

Alright down to business...am i correct that we don't have a coaching staff?

Talon

Well technically since we haven't closed out Season 17, we still have Coach Trevor Jose and his staff, but they are all set to expire this off-season.

GM Justin

Thank you...go ahead and send Coach Jose in please.

"Coach, I hope you are doing well.  I understand your contract, along with the rest of the staff, expires at the official end of season 17.  In the name of transparency, I will be opening up the search for head coach, but I am not opposed to bringing you back as head coach if you are interested.  With that said, can you give me your opinion of what worked and what didn't worked this season from your point of view?

Talon

First off, I appreciate the honesty.   This last season we built a very talented team but our offensive line was not up to par.  The guards gave up a ton of consistent pressure inside, it put extra strain on our tackles and they didn't hold up to the added work an Kitchen got punished over and over and over, 106 times on the year.

The pressure along with a first-year feeling out process with his receivers really made it hard on Kitchen and he threw 23 picks. 

Defensively we were middle of the pack, our secondary struggled, INTs weren't there and our pass rush wasn't great.  We had middle of the pack sacks, but in other pressures we ranked near the bottom of the league. We suffered defensively from losing Sean Peterson as our DC.   

GM Justin

So offensive line help and bolstering of the secondary and defensive line would be in order, based on your analysis.  With that being said, are there things you would have done differently in terms of scheme, coaching hires, etc.?

Talon

I would have put more money into keeping coach Peterson for sure, he is a great mind and it is my weak area. I'm an offensive coach through and through.   Other than that, we couldn't predict Kitchen would struggle, and that was the root of our issues.  Short fields off of turnovers is a killer.

GM Justin

Thank you for the valuable input Coach.  I will be in touch during the coach hiring period.

Selena -- if Mr. Biggs wants to meet, please send him in.  If not, let's lock in.

Talon

Hey Jefe,

Here is our team off-season primer.  It shows our current roster (including expired players and coaches but without their contract values) our current draft picks for the next 3 seasons, and our budget.

Talon

GM Justin, I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to return here to South Beach, because of that I made you my number one priority as my day-1 interview, so what can I do for you?

GM Justin

Good morning coach. We previously talked about the struggles on defense and losing the previous coordinator and the impact that had.  But I want to talk about the offense.  I'm of the belief, just from a high level overview that Coach Spud probably wasn't the best fit as offensive coordinator.  While the vertical and spread schemes aren't vastly different, they are different and your approach was different in terms of balanced and conservative.  So a couple of questions; Do you think he was the right fit?  Did you hire him because you thought he was the best option or was it a budget issue?

Talon

Looking back, I'd have loved to have had more money to go get a better scheme fit.   Coach Spud is a good guy, but his style of coaching in general wasn't the best compliment for my strengths and weaknesses.  A great hire would have been Anderson Ginobili but we couldn't get him due to him wanting more money to work under me because he can be petty about old rivalries and the like.  Right now, if we could manage it, a guy like Harry Bryce would be a homerun hire.

GM Justin

Understood...now as I'm sure you're aware I have traded away Kitchen.  What kind of quarterback do you need for the offense to be successful?  What is your take on Danny Hoak...think he could run the offense? 

Talon

No.  I don't think he's a starter in this league.  I like arm strength, but not at the sacrifice of IQ and Accuracy.  Perfect world, a free agent like Worley or Rainey would be my ideal guy.  After that, a Stephen Hudgins or Joseph Sommer would be a project I'd feel confident taking on.  Sommer was a 4th round pick last year by San Antonio and I like him a lot, a well balanced QB can do a lot of damage in this league.

GM Justin

Gotcha.  With a proper budget, who would you target for DC, or what type of coach?

Talon

Definitely a 4-3 coach in the style of what we had with Sean Peterson.  I'd look first at Larry Stevens, most likely.

GM Justin

Thank you, Coach. I have asked all of my questions. I will conduct my other interviews and will get back to you

Talon

I appreciate the chat, hopefully we chat again soon.

Talon

Hello GM Justin, thanks for the chance to interview.