DETROIT FURY [GM RINALDI]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talon

The city is buzzing for us to make our Detroit debut, so here is our team report!

GM Rinaldi

"Welcome back, what was the most challenging part of the off-season, and where do you think you did the best as GM of this club?"

"Good to be back. Most challenging part of the offseason? Good first question. I'd say that free agency is always very challenging because you are going against other GMs who want the top talent that's available. And when you're the GM of a team that has been...well underwhelming over the past few years, to say the least, it becomes a little harder to sell the guys on your vision without having to overspend. After all, we've only got so much cap space and we want to make sure we don't go past that.

Where do I think I did the best? I think I had a very good draft, to be quite honest. I believe we've managed to acquire quite a few good players in this draft, players that will becoming something good for us moving forward."

"After a long off-season, the regular season is within reach.  What is your view of pre-season?  Valuable or Pointless?"

"I think it's very valuable for a GM such as myself who has put together a team that has had a lot of overturn. These two games allow them to gain some chemistry with each other and hopefully be ready to go when the season starts. The guys have had a long offseason and it's also very valuable to have these games to knock the rust off, so to speak. So yeah, I think it's valuable."

"Will you completely sit any of your players for the pre-season, or is it all hands on deck in the traditional pre-season limited capacity?"

"I'll have to speak to the coaching staff about it but I don't really see us sitting too many players when guys have to get on the same page as each other before the season starts."

"Having just met with your boss, the team's owner; what do you think about their expectations for you this season?"

"I think a lot of GMs would sweat the expectations that have been put in front of me. Miss Waters has high hopes with me at the helm here and I don't intend on letting her down. I will make this team a force to be reckoned with."

"The fans are clamoring, what should they expect this season from a record stand point?  Are you thinking this is a rebuilding season?  Is this a season where you will be middle of the pack and near .500?  Is this a club that should win 10+ games?  Is this team a lock to win the division, or is this team simply a real-deal Impact Bowl Contender and everything else is trivial?"

"Every GM's goal is to win the whole thing, but most GMs know their limits when it comes to the team that they've built. Right now, we're trying to build this team up to be a long term contender. To become a dynasty. I do not expect us to have a top 5 pick, at least not with our own personal pick. We'll see how the Salt Lake pick shakes out. I do think we're at the very least a .500 team but I do expect us to be even better than that if everyone plays up to their potential. We made some big strides in free agency and hopefully we find that chemistry that allows us to be a nightmare for a lot of teams."

"What's the biggest position competition you're looking forward to with your team's pre-season games?"

"We have three capable centers on our roster that could start Week 1, so I think we're going to give at least two of those guys a look and I look forward to that. I think games are won in the trenches and we are going to strive to have the nastiest offensive line in the league. I'm also interested to see what Leggett, Hatley, and Wheeler do. Lots of competition in that linebacker room. We'll see what preseason brings us."

"Look across the league, which team from the opposite conference do you think will be competing for the Impact Bowl when it's all said and done?"

"I don't generally like to make predictions like this but I could see Las Vegas make their way back. However, if their new head coach is as advertised, I could see this Long Beach team go the distance as well."

"Make a bold prediction about this season"

"Yeah, let me get out my crystal ball, look into it, and tell you that my bold prediction is...that we will get a new deal agreed to for Tyger before preseason is over.

Thank you all for your questions. See you guys after the preseason."

Talon

We begin a new journey with these first steps, yes.

It is excitement to be back in the North East, and to see the opportunity to make a quick impact, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"Yeah, I'm so excited that I misspoke and said we had two preseason games instead of three. I'm sure the media will have some fun with that error.

Anyway, to the first of many successful seasons with us at the helm.

I read all of the coaches' comments from training camp and for the most part I think we've covered every base. That being said, we have three centers on our roster and a lack of depth at tackle so I'd like to move one of the three guys over at tackle. I guess my question to you or to our OL coach would be...who do you like to be our starter at center and who do you think we can move over to tackle to at least try and win that second starting spot over Estep?"

Talon

Duff is a better pass blocker and Fournier is a better run blocker.  Both have very similar power, and Duff might also learn position training faster with a higher IQ, yes.

However neither have any tackle position training, so they could struggle regardless of overall attributes, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"So do you see Kinsey as our starter at the center position moving forward then if you're suggesting either Duff or Fournier to make the move to tackle?"

Talon

Kinsey is not strong enough to be a full-time starter yet, in my opinion. I would starter whichever we do not move to tackle, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"Hmm...alright then. We'll move Duff over to tackle and train him at that position and start Fournier at center and let Kinsey develop this season with no pressure.

Now, how do you want to tackle these three preseason games? I say we at least have one game where we play the regular starting lineup."

Talon

We will only have one lock in -- the default plan is we set our line up normally, and we go into each game knowing the back ups will get a lot of playing time as to not over work anyone unless we have depth or injury issues, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"Sounds perfect. I'll get that in in a bit. Just want to talk to Tyger's agent first and make sure we agree to a new deal with him before the regular season starts so we don't have to have that be a news story after pre-season. Best to have him focused on the field for you, Coach. We'll talk later."

"Aria, please get me in touch with Tyger's agent. I believe it's Mr. LaVar Jackson."

Talon

GM Rinaldi

"We know Tyger wants to get a deal done and we want to get an extension agreed to as well. We don't intend on letting him hit free agency. What's the number you guys are looking for?"

Talon

$18MM starting today would get us on the hook for 4 years.

GM Rinaldi

"Simply put, I can't bump his pay up this season, so I can't agree to that but I do have a counter offer. $16MM in salary and $4MM in bonus money, $20MM total per season, for the next 3 years after this one. I'll even give him a player option for that 3rd year. What do you think?"

Talon

So no way you're giving us any new money for this year?

GM Rinaldi

"Don't have the cap space to do so. If we had talked before free agency, I would have had no problem making it happen. Unfortunately, it's after I've already used up the entirety of our cap space for this season. I am willing to talk it out and get out of here with a deal but I can't bump his pay up for this season. Is there any other way you can see a deal getting done?"

Talon

I mean, you're letting us jump 60 other WR's into the higher bracket of pay... I just want more money now.   How about a 500K off-season bonus for 500 receiving yards that he gets this off-season to make it worth our time?

GM Rinaldi

"$500K from our Season 18 offseason bonus funds? That works perfectly for us. We don't even have to attach the 500 yards to it, if you'd like. We can call it a signing bonus for the extension."

Talon

GM Rinaldi

"Thanks for working with us on getting this done. Have a good rest of your day."

"Aria, please send this to our coaching staff. It's time to get this preseason rolling."

DETROIT FURY PRESEASON DEPTH CHART

QB1: JD Corrales
QB2: DeAngelo Vaughan
QB3: Matt Artopoeus

RB1: Yung Azul
RB2: Daniel Coates
RB3: Louis White

FB: Harry Bethea

TE1: Greg Sprouse
TE2: Richard Gill
TE3: Emmanuel Bradford

WR1: Tyger Lights
WR4: Charles Bennett

WR2: Scotty Gorham
WR5: David Castillo

WR3: Kennith Whitaker
WR6: Tyson Parra

LT1: John Williams
LT2: Ricky Gurley

LG1: Harlan Slater
LG2: Elliott Wellman

C1: Stephen Fournier
C2: Kraig Kinsey

RG1: Harold Gallegos
RG2: Jeffrey Tan

RT1: David Estep
RT2: Michael Duff

DT1: Paul Reed
DT2: Kevin Veal
DT3: Cedric Homan
DT4: Ron Thompson
DT5: Brady Wiseman

LDE1: Jeffrey Harlow
LDE2: Douglas Dickerson
LDE3: Fred Dunn

RDE1: Ethan Frazier
RDE2: Jamar Moran

ROLB1: Gerald Barajas
ROLB2: Frederic Wheeler

MLB1: Arthur Sanderson
MLB2: Alan Leggett

LOLB1: Dennis Hatley
LOLB2: Donald Stout

CB1: Clay Carrington
CB4: Timothy Colon

CB2: Herman Schiller
CB5: Russell Cheney

CB3: Donald Cano

FS1: Michael Turpin
FS2: Irving Schultz

SS1: Kyle Wimpleman
SS2: David Baughman

K: Clarence Peterson

P: Andrew Campbell

KR1: Timothy Colon
KR2: Russell Cheney
KR3: Daniel Coates
KR4: Louis White

PR1: Russell Cheney
PR2: Daniel Coates
PR3: Timothy Colon

LOCK IN

GM Rinaldi

"What did you take away from this slate of pre-season games for your team?"

"I think the overall message that I took away is that we are going to be giving teams a lot of trouble this season. We're definitely not someone you can walk all over. Our team looks good and now we get to play the games that actually stick to your record. Let's see if we can continue to look good in those games."

"Which player stood out the most to you from your team?"

"I think a few players stuck out, but we were really looking to see who would win the kick returner spot and I gotta say, I think Russell Cheney has probably earned that spot. I thought he had the best returns and made the field a little easier to navigate for our offense during these three preseason games. I'll speak to my coaches about this to see if they feel the same but I think he'll be our returner for kickoffs and possibly punts this season."

"Did anyone surprise you and earn a starting job?"

"I don't think anybody surprised me, to be quite honest with you. I think most of our starters were set but I do think a few guys played good enough to where if performance drops for certain players at certain positions, they can swoop in and take that starting job. Right now, I'd say our depth chart probably remains as close to what you saw us put out there to start the preseason games as possible."

"Does the pre-season change your feeling about your teams potential this season?"

"No, I think it arguably reinforced what I think this team can do this season. I hope they'd exceed my expectations but we'll see."

"The schedule makers were not kind to you for your first regular season games as the Detroit Fury GM as your team has to go and visit the Tucson Stars. How do you feel about this matchup? What's it going to take to beat them in their house?"

"You'd say they weren't kind to us but I think there's no better way to kick off a season then to play one of the best teams in the Western Conference. Tucson is a tough first matchup but if we think we're a playoff team, should we not be willing to take on other playoff contenders? Should we not be excited about a matchup like this?

What it'll take to beat them is playing a very clean game on offense. No turnovers, especially not ones that give them and their QB short field to work with. We can't end up getting heavily penalized and giving them extra downs to work with. We have to be at our best to beat one of the best teams in this league.

If there are no other questions, I'd like to thank you all for the questions that were presented and wish you a good day."

Talon

I do not have many things to discuss for changes, unless you do, yes?

GM Rinaldi

"Outside of changing it to Cheney to be our KR1 on the depth chart, I don't think there's much left to talk about. Vaughan's injury sucks, but Matt should be a good backup for us this season."

Talon

Definitely unfortunate, as he looked very good prior to being hurt.  I believe once he recovers he will be a promising player for us as great depth or a potential trade piece if needed, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"Good luck out there this week, Coach. Hopefully we begin our regime with a 1-0 record."

DEPTH CHART CHANGES
-Russell Cheney to KR1
-Timothy Colon to KR2

LOCK IN

GM Rinaldi

"Talk us through opening week, what went as expected?  Where did you exceed expectations, and where did you fall short?"

"I thought the game went as well as I expected, though ideally I would have liked it to end in a win for us. Where we exceeded expectations? Our offense put up 34 points and our defense picked off Maldonado twice. I'd say our entire team played well enough to get the win, but I guess where we fell short was finishing the Stars off when we had the opportunity to do so. We'll grow as a team and get better at the little things, like finishing our opponents off as the season grows on."

"Which player stood out the most to you from your opponents team?"

"Hard to see anybody else stick out on that team when they've got a quarterback like Thomas Maldonado, with all due respect. He commands a lot of the spotlight but I guess to be a contrarian, I'll say Jonathan Finch had a hell of a game. Two touchdowns, including the one that gave them the lead, and seven receptions to go along with it. He hurt us whenever he got his hands on that ball."

"Did any of the news this week catch your eye?"

"The news about Jack Massey was interesting. Its rare you see a young guy become a locker room leader. Usually guys have to get some experience before they feel comfortable stepping in that role."

"Do you feel like you put your team in the best position for success coming into this week 1 game?"

"I believe so and I hope to be proven right as the season goes along."

"Your first home game as GM of the Detroit Fury is now here. You host San Antonio. What will you need to see from your team to get your first win as GM of the Fury?"

"More of the same from week 1. We played a great game last week, I would like for us to continue that into this week. San Antonio also has started off the season 0-1 so they'll be hungry to take us down. Can't take them lightly.

Thank you all for your questions. See you all next week, hopefully after we've gotten our first win."

Talon

Our forth quarter offensive struggle was very frustrating, yes..

After our touchdown and forcing them to punt, we had a chance to finish them.  Pinned at our own 4 yard line, a 3rd down JD fumble gave them the football at their own 1 for an easy score and it sparked their momentum, yes.

Then they forced a three and out and scored again to take the lead with 2 minutes to play..
The next drive was our death nail, 1st down sack.  2nd down pass break up, 3rd down sack to force 4th and 30 from our own 1 yard line..   With no time and only one timeout, we had to go for it, and that is how they added the easy field goal to end the game.   

No first downs in the fourth quarter.   ...Embarrassing, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"A brutal fourth quarter, no doubt about it. We played 75% of a good game, we just need to get the team chemistry going to get us to 100%. San Antonio this week is, with all due respect, exactly the type of opponent we need after playing a team like Tucson. A way we can bounce back.

I doubt we have to make any changes to the depth chart, right? Obviously we won't have Greg this week, but Richard was a good backup for my team in Pearl Harbor last year and Emmanuel I'm sure will be chomping at the bit to prove himself."

Talon

Apparently they believe we lost our starting QB for the season.. but no, I see no changes to make. We are hungry to rebound, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"Yeah, I saw that as well. Weird.

Anyway, let's not waste anymore time. Good luck out there."

LOCK IN

GM Rinaldi

"Talk about your teams performance this week."

"I thought we had a great performance from start to finish. After how our first game of the season ended, it was a much-needed performance and we got a much-needed win before a big Week 3 game."

"How do you feel about your team after two weeks?"

"I think we are trending in an upward trajectory and I think that as of this moment, we are a playoff contender. 1-1 isn't an ideal start, but we've got a lot of season left to prove we belong in the postseason."

"What did you think about the Massie performance this week? Does it make you feel like you might have to keep an even closer eye on the waiver wire in case a need arises on your team?"

"I think that as a GM, you have to keep your eye on everything and the waiver wire certainly is one of those things. The Massie performance will definitely tempt myself and other GMs to take a gamble on any player that ends up there, but we will be smart about who we pursue if we pursue anyone."

"Your first division game this season as your team travels to St. Paul. What will you need to see from your team in order for them to secure a second win in a row?"

"St. Paul is a very good team and with it being a division game, they'll definitely be turning it up a notch. What I would need to see from our team is to play with the same kind of intensity and to keep the mistakes to a minimum. With a game like this, I truly believe the team with the fewer turnovers will walk away with the win.

Thank you all for your time."

Talon

A satisfying victory, still room to improve, but not many things to criticize for the players, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"No, not too much to criticize at all. St. Paul this week is a big game for us. Our first game in the division. Anything you think we need to change or just keep things as they are?"

Talon

St. Paul is a tough team, but I believe we are prepared, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"Let's take care of business then."

LOCK IN

GM Rinaldi

"Talk about your teams performance this week."

"Any time you can keep a team to 14 points in this league, you'll take it. I think our defense did an incredible job. On the other hand, any time you don't score during the first 3 quarters of a game and only score 7 points...well you can't really expect to be winning that game then. I thought it was a defensive battle that we came out on the wrong side of. We'll look forward to play St. Paul at our house."

"Do you feel a particular coach has stood out on your staff, and why?"

"Singling out one coach, whether good or bad, feels counterproductive. I think it's also too early to tell you if someone has stuck out through 3 games, but I'll gladly come back to this answer in a few weeks once we've had a couple more games under our belt."

"Talk about your opponent for week 4, do you see any holes in their game that you can exploit?"

"We're on the road again as we go to face another divisional rival in Milwaukee. This is a team that is on the rise and they'll look to hand us another loss and make sure we stay at the bottom of this division. I think they're still rebuilding so I do see some holes in their game, but I'm not going to be the one suiting up or coaching so it'll be up to our team to exploit those holes and bring back a road win.

Thank you for your questions. Have a good one."

"Coach, I don't have much to say about the last game or about this one. Leaving it in your hands to right the ship and get us back in the win column. Good luck out there."

LOCK IN

Talon

The league is really sent for a loop this week. If you have anything we need to do, just let me know but if not I've got nothing that can't wait.

GM Rinaldi

"Talk about your teams performance this week and through out this first quarter of the season."

"I think we were extremely dominant this week. A 23 point win on the road against a division rival...can't ask for much more. I think our performance through the first quarter of the season has been very...middle of the pack. I don't think we've been lights out but I also don't think we've been terrible. We've been a team trying to figure out who we are and hopefully we're finding our footing as a good to great team after this performance."

"How do you feel about your players placement in the league leaders, a quarter of the way through the season?  Who is an unsung hero on this roster?"

"I'll be honest in saying that I don't really care about the placement of my players amongst the league leaders. We've seen plenty of players be like first in passing yards and then have a TD to interception ratio that's abysmal. What matters the most is that the players are playing winning football.

Unsung hero? He won't get a lot of praise because of the other guys we have on the line but Stephen Fournier currently leads our team in pancakes and hasn't allowed a single sack or missed a block in these first four games. A lot of people had questions about the center position for us, but I'd say he's done a fine job so far of making sure our QB isn't getting hit."

"Talk about your opponent for week 5, do you see any holes in their game that you can exploit?"

"London is undefeated and has played one less game this season. They're a very good team and I don't really see too many holes in their game. If I'm being honest, they're probably one of the toughest teams we'll see this season.

I think we need to play our very best football to stand a chance against a team like this. These are the games I look forward to because they're truly telling if we can compete or not.

Thank you all for your questions. See you next week."

"Coach, I've not got much to say. The team is in your hands and I have faith in you doing your all to get us that big win. Good luck out there."

LOCK IN

GM Rinaldi

"Big win against a team that a lot of people believe is gonna be in the playoffs this year. How do you feel about it?"

"Yeah, certainly a win we wanted to have. You know, I obviously would've loved to have beaten them at full strength but here we are. We got the win and now we're at the top of our division. I think all things considered, we've had a good start to the season and we'll be hopeful to keep it going."

"Do you believe your team is ahead of schedule?"

"I don't believe there's a schedule, per se. I think every guy on our roster has come into this season expecting to compete and so far, we're competing. Whatever goals our fanbase or an analyst...or maybe even you guys have for us are really your goals. I have stated that I think we are a playoff capable team and it's now up to all of us to prove that we are."

"What do you think about your defense getting to the London quarterback 11 times?"

"If we can get to the QB 11 times in every game, we won't lose another game this season, is what I think. Our defense played well and paved the way for our offense to handle this game. More efforts like this and I believe we easily make the playoffs."

"This week Atlanta comes to visit. They are 2-3. Do you believe they have a chance at getting the win in your house?"

"I believe any day of the week, one team can beat another. Atlanta can certainly come in here and get a big win. It'll be our jobs to limit their offense and allow our offense to take control and maintain control of the game like we did against London. I also look forward to the game.

Have a good one, folks."

"Coach, great win. We're heading towards the right direction and I think we're about to be taken a lot more seriously. How are you feeling about this week?"

Talon

I am confident, Yes.   

GM Bennett seems to be losing faith in his team, we will show him he is in the right thinking, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"Good to hear. It sounds like Gallegos might not make it to this week's game. Who do we think can start in his place for this one, Wellman or Tan?"

Talon

It has to be Wellman, but we will be struggling in pass protection as it is not his strength.  Tan is not good enough to start either, so we have little choice, but Wellman is a veteran and knows the game. He should hold up more often than not, I hope.

Talon

GM Rinaldi

"Fair enough. Good luck out there, Coach."

LOCK IN

GM Rinaldi

"Tough loss to Atlanta in your own house. What went wrong out there?"

"Um, I think a few things but I think the most glaring thing to me was that they won the turnover battle. We gave them the ball back 3 different times and while we did force four fumbles, we couldn't recover a single one. All that and in the end we suffered a loss to a team a good portion of people were expecting us to beat. Atlanta deserves all the credit in the world for the win and we simply have to get back on the winning side now."

"Getting back to your winning ways is of course easier said than done, especially now that you have to face what many deem the favorites to come out of this conference and make the Impact Bowl in DC. If your team was to lose this game as well, would you be more willing to punt on the first season and turn your attention to next season?"

"I mean, we would be 3-4 with two extremely tough opponents on the horizon. I certainly wouldn't immediately think about punting if we lose this game, especially to a team like DC, but I would certainly understand if people had doubts about us going forward. I guess it's up to us to try and get a big win vs an Impact Bowl contender."

"What needs to happen in order for you to move to 4-3?"

"Cut down the mistakes, as per usual. I'd argue all 3 of our losses have been our own undoing with turnovers. If we can protect the ball, we can give DC a run for their money and force the entire league to take us a lot more seriously.

Thank you for the questions this week. I'll see you all again soon."

"A black eye type of loss, Coach. Atlanta is, with all due respect, not near the caliber of DC or some of the other teams we're set to face soon. That was a game we needed to have that we gave up, to say the least. I assume the locker room isn't in the best of spirits, but we've got pick it right back up for DC. The bad news is, they're arguably the toughest team on our schedule and we're seeing them after a tough loss. The good news is, they're arguably the toughest team on our schedule and every other team that follows them should be easier to deal with.

How are we feeling about this game? I know it says Gallegos is questionable but I assume we expect him to play, right?"

Talon

Gallegos is a game time decision, so we have to be prepared for him to not play as well, yes..

However, I have spoken with Coach Rudino and told him to put greater focus on our turnovers and overall discipline.  He has accepted this challenge and I see motivation in his eyes.  The same fire his father coached with, runs in his veins, yes.

GM Rinaldi

"Glad to hear that. It's gonna be a tough one against DC anyway. No need to make the game easier for them by giving them short field with turnovers. Anyway, I don't really have anything to say besides good luck out there."

LOCK IN

Talon

48 HOUR PRESS CONFERENCE WARNING

GM Rinaldi

"Big win for you over DC! Do you believe a win like this gives you momentum heading into this week?"

"Yes, I think beating an Impact Bowl contender like DC the way we did is sure to give us a confidence boost heading into two big games. Momentum is fickle though, so we have to still be at our best if we want to pull off another big win."

"The big news story is that it was your backup QB, Matt Artopoeus, had to come in for an injured Corrales, and threw five touchdowns. If Corrales is out, Artopoeus will likely be the starter this week, correct?"

"Very proud of Matt for his performance, first off. A backup having to come in against one of the best teams and doing that is simply unheard of. We don't know if JD will be ready to go, but if he can't, we are very confident that we can have Matt go out there and get us another big win. He's earned our trust enough to put him back out there."

"Las Vegas are the defending champions and have started off the season rather well. It's looking more likely that Larkin will be cleared to play this week. Any worries going into this game?"

"I don't generally worry about any game. Being afraid of any team means you've already lost before you've stepped onto the field. Las Vegas isn't unbeatable, they've proven that, and we have the opportunity to prove that as well.

GM Metro is a very good GM so I look forward to our two teams matching up and seeing who can get bragging rights afterwards.

That's all for today, guys. Thank you for coming out."

"What a win that was, Coach! I doubt anyone thought we had a chance once Corrales went down."

Talon

Having been a head coach for so many years now, I think people forget I have a reputation for frustrating opposing quarterbacks, yes? 

People under estimate us, at their peril.