Conference:  Western
Division: North Pacific
Team Owner: Ian Paul-Allen
Team Secretary: Audrey Hopburn

Official Colors:

Navy (#1C2957)
Gold (#886B25)

Team History:
The Portland Brewers are an expansion team for the HIFL in season 10.  Owned by famed brewery founder Ian Paul-Allen aka Mr. IPA, the Brewers look to bring "more competitive football" to the Pacific Northwest.   It is said that Mr. IPA and Seattle Owner Arnold Reigns are bitter enemies.

Season 10: 5-11-0 [GM Andre]
Season 11: 6-10-0 [GM Oldfield]
Season 12: 8-8-0 [GM Oldfield]
Season 13: 7-9-0 [GM Oldfield]
Season 14: 7-9-0 [GM Oldfield]
Season 15: 7-9-0 [GM Underpants]
Season 16: 8-7-1 [GM Underpants]
Season 17: 4-12-0 [GM  Underpants]

Playoff Appearances:
Season 16: 1-1 (Divisional Round)

RETIRED NUMBERS:
42 - James "Black Death" Wells

Talon

S15 PORTLAND LOCK IN

MINI-CAMP ASSIGNMENTS GM's MUST COMPLETE THIS TASK

OFFENSE:
1. Jimmy Forbes- Strength
2. Richard Welker- Arm Strength
3. Bill Bonner- Conditioning
4. Harold Newell- Accuracy

DEFENSE:
1. Manual Parrish-Tackling
2. Manual Parrish-IQ
3. Isaac Leon-Speed
4. Herschel Legget- Conditioning

STRATEGY GM OR COACHES DECISION ON ANY/ALL

OFFENSE
Attitude: Balanced
Focus: Balanced
Tempo: Fast
Passing Focus: Medium
Pass To: Balanced
Primary Receiver: Timothy Hightower
Running Focus: Power
Running Backs: Running
Backfield Focus: Bell Cow
Tight End Focus: Mixed

DEFENSE
Attitude: Aggressive
Focus: Balanced
Primary Coverage: Man
D-Line Focus: Balanced
Linebacker Focus: Coverage
Player Radio: Elvis Edward
Match CBs to WRs?: Yes

Playing Time: Mostly Starters

TEAM CAPTAINS GM's MUST COMPLETE THIS TASK
1. Timothy Hightower
2. Richard Welker
3. Sami Ozil
4. Joshua Odom
5. Elvis Edward
6. Jusda Maldonado

OFFENSE MASTER DEPTH CHART GM's MUST COMPLETE THIS TASK (You may attach up to 4 additional Copies of this Chart for various "Packages" in your offense.)

PACKAGE NAME: Brew Ha Ha

QB- Richard Welker
QB2- Ross Baker
QB3- Travis West
QB4- Harold Newell

RB1- Randall Estates
RB2-Ziggy Thigpen
RB3- Robert Lister

FB-Sami Ozil
FB2-John Egan

TE1-Lindsay Crawley
TE2-Richard Berry

WR1-Timothy Hightower
LWR4-Christopher Brandt

WR2-Christopher Mackey
WR5-Antonio Palmer

WR3-James Booth
WR6-Shawn Shepherd

LT-Joshua Odom
LT2-Stephen Goebel

LG-Scott Beatty
LG2-Larry Daniels

C-Trent Smith
C2-Paul Quinonez

RG-Brian Walsh
RG2-Larry Daniels

RT-Jimmy Forbes
RT2-Stephan Goebel

DEFENSE MASTER DEPTH CHART GM's MUST COMPLETE THIS TASK (You may attach up to 4 additional Copies of this Chart for various "Packages" in your defense.)

PACKAGE NAME: Bouncers Club

DT1-Jusda Maldonado
DT3-Manual Parrish

DT2-Albert Mock
DT4-Francis Ludwig

RE1-Ethan Frazier
RE2-Isaac Leon

LE1-Cameron Casey
LE2-Edward Wilson

MLB1-Elvis Edward
MLB2- George Swan

ROLB1-John Fredrickson
ROLB2-James Fusco

LOLB1-Benito Yang
LOLB2-Fred Dolan

CB1-Michael Briggs
CB4-Herschel Leggett

CB2-John Segura
CB5-Herschel Leggett

CB3-Tobias Johnson
CB6-Lino Perkins

FS1-Cesar White
FS2-Thomas Wagner

SS1-Joseph Upton
SS2-Roger Hall

SPECIAL TEAMS MASTER DEPTH CHART GM's MUST COMPLETE THIS TASK

K-Michael McCloskey
P-Elliot Combs

KR1-John Egan
KR2-Robert Lister
KR3-Shawn Shepherd
KR4-Bill Bonner

PR1-John Egan
PR2-Robert Lister

PLAY CALLING GM Chooses who calls plays, and assigns desired percentages if not left up to play calling coach

OFFENSE RUN/PASS RATIO

Play Caller: Head Coach
1st and 10: Coaches Decision
1st and Short: Coaches Decision
1st and Long: Coaches Decision
2nd and Short: Coaches Decision
2nd and Long: Coaches Decision
3rd and Short: Coaches Decision
3rd and Long: Coaches Decision
4th and Short: Coaches Decision
4th and Long: Coaches Decision
Goal Line: Coaches Decision
Last 2 Mins (Ahead): Coaches Decision
Last 2 Mins (Behind): Coaches Decision

DEFENSE BLITZ RATIO

Play Caller: Defensive Coordinator
1st and 10: Coaches Decision
1st and Short: Coaches Decision
1st and Long: Coaches Decision
2nd and Short: Coaches Decision
2nd and Long: Coaches Decision
3rd and Short: Coaches Decision
3rd and Long: Coaches Decision
4th and Short: Coaches Decision
4th and Long: Coaches Decision
Goal Line: Coaches Decision
Last 2 Mins (Ahead): Coaches Decision
Last 2 Mins (Behind): Coaches Decision

PR CAMPAIGNS  (OPTIONAL)

(PLAYER NAME) (Campaign Theme/Tag Line)
DESCRIPTION OF PR CAMPAIGN

N/A

MUSICAL LICENSES (GM MUST COMPLETE THIS TASK)

1. Have A Drink On Me-AC/DC 
Used as the team is making their way out of the tunnel to get the crowd and players hyped.

2. Beer!- Psychostick
The Chorus is used upon any touchdowns, interceptions, or defensive fumble recoveries.

COIN TOSS PREFERENCE

Heads
Receive

Let's Lock in and get the party started.

GM Josh

1. Welcome back, lets talk off-season.  What was your off-season like, what was your biggest addition to your team, and who is someone you wish you didn't lose?

Thank you for the welcome. Our off season definitely had a lot of moving parts, I kind of dove head first in to my first season here. I know I�ve heard the talk and read the reports about me making some mistakes with some of the trades, but I wouldn�t change a thing. I brought back Welker which I have been told was a bad call, but I feel everyone deserves a second chance and I feel he can do great things with the right leadership and motivation. The biggest addition is the return of Jusda along with bringing on Mock as a one two punch at DT. Honestly I can�t speak on any losses as a first year GM, everyone is new to me.

2. Take us back to Draft Day, what lead to you taking the player you took with your first pick?
I wanted someone I knew could be a future star and showed me that drive to be great and that was Jimmy Forbes.  He�s got a ton of potential and I think he can learn a lot from Odom.

3. Coming out of Training Camp who is the player you wish you would have seen on your "most improved list" that you didn't see?
I mentioned second chances earlier and I was hoping to see more of an improvement from Welker, but that is something I still feel will come in time this season.

4. If you were to improve one position on your team with a trade before the season starts, what position do you target, and are you looking to trade picks or players to get a deal done? Look it�s obvious that my answer should be to target a QB, but I want to put it on record that I am happy with who we currently have. I know you all have your rankings and grades for everyone, but it doesn�t measure the heart of a player. My goal here is to bring out the best of these men and that starts with getting their heart in the game. I will listen objectively to any offers that may come my way, but I am not actively seeking trades at this time.

5. How many wins should your fan base expect this year, realistically what should fans expect to see?
Fans should expect to see real football. They�re gonna see the Brewers go out there every week and play with heart and determination. As far as wins, Mr. IPA wants it, the coaches want it, the players want it, I want it and most importantly the fans want it. We�re getting our winning season this year and you can put that on my tab.

Talon

Alright, year one.. any questions for me boss?

GM Josh

Now I know most people would be dumb here and ask you how training camp went as if we weren't there and don't have our own documents. As it's my first year here, what would be the best advice you could give me?

Talon

This is generally a good time to get a little more detail on a specific player or two if you have young guys you are interested in; or if you really want details about our depth or strategy, but if you're comfortable with the staff and I handling that then it's just a matter of you getting to know a player or two if youre interested or just locking in; nothing we HAVE to do this week, but we're here if you want to discuss anything.

GM Josh

Thanks coach. I do actually have a couple things I want to talk about.

1. I plan on pushing these men to better themselves and the first ones I want to look at are Baker and Welker, I know you mentioned Baker as back up at best.  You're in my shoes, who are you starting and why?
2. I noticed some backlash over Odom being named as a captain. Anything I should be aware of?
3. What kind of offensive strategy are you going to be looking at as a go to more often?

Talon

Unfortunately, Welker is our best choice on the roster at QB.

As far as Odom, the color of captaincy is just a reflection of their ability to be a leader, not a judgement on how hte team views them as a captain, so no issues there other than his lack of leadership.

As far as our offense, I am a spread offense kind of guy, Coach Hollingsworth is a power run game guy, but in the I see us trying to spread defenses out and get the ball down field.

GM Josh

Thank you coach. Last question, how do you feel about our running backs and our effectiveness for the run game should the time come to rely on it more?

Talon

Estates and Thigpen are an established pair here in Portland, but both have had some hard hits over the years and while Randall is still a high caliber player, I think Thigpen is losing some speed after 5 years in the league, so I'd consider looking for a speed back in the future as a change of pace guy to go with Estates all around / power game.

GM Josh

Thank you coach.  I'm going to use this first week to watch how everyone works before touching base with anyone else.

Let's [/b]lock in[/b]

GM Josh

1. Discuss your week 1 results, what were you happy with, what were you disappointed with?

First obviously disappointed to walk away with a loss, but happy to see the defense putting in work and getting that pick 6 from Cesar. On the flip side I am not happy with the amount of penalties we had as that hurt us big time.

2. How do you feel about not having pre-season this year?

I feel personally a pre season would have benefitted me as someone new to the league, but what can you do.

3. What did you think of Alejandro McGhee's comments about the Bay Area Sea Lions being able to beat any HIFL club? 

Nothing but talk from someone who obviously can't make it in the league.

4. Discuss any news that interested you, if you had team specific news address it first.

Want to say congrats to Ibrahimovic and Loftis for their record setting games.

5. Discuss your next opponent and game.   How likely do you feel your team is to win this contest?

Long Beach is our redemption game plain and simple. We need to show that we are not a team to be counted out or over looked. One thing I've always believed is there is no such thing as a sure thing, but I do believe in this team and the ability to win. I'm giving us an 80% chance to win.

Talon

Tough first week, but hopefully the position battle we had gave you some extra insight.

Talon

THE BUS BEGINS TO WARM UP

GM Josh

It did thank you Coach. Let's go ahead and stick with the same game plan as last week. I'm still in observation mode.

lock in

GM Josh

1. Discuss your week 2 results, what were you happy with, what were you disappointed with?
I was happy to see our team take it to Long Beach and show we are a fighting team, but really wish we would have been able to walk away with the W. Those close losses are always the hardest and most disappointing, but there's always next time.

2. After two weeks do you feel your team is where you thought they would be, if not what is the biggest area of improvement needed?
Not quite there yet. We're still in an adjustment period as we had a lot of changes in the off-season and we're all still learning to gel.

3. Are you happy with the play of your quarterback so far? Where do you rank him across the league's 32 starters?
I wouldn't say I'm happy but I'm not upset either. Welker is a good man and a well rounded player, we just need to find the key to really tapping in to his potential and strengths. At this time I'd place him right in the middle, but I know with our coaching staff, we can get him into the top 10 talk.

4. Discuss any news that interested you, if you had team specific news address it first.
Obviously we do need to address the situation with the Mermen. I get wanting to celebrate and I'm all for it, but still needs to be some level of professionalism.

5. Discuss your next opponent and game.  Where is your biggest advantage?
Vancouver is a hell of a team and it's gonna take us firing on all cylinders to win this one. Our biggest advantage will definitely come from us being underestimated.

Talon

It's going to be a tough game this week. Vancouver is explosive.

GM Josh

That they are Coach. It's been a rough few weeks already and this game is gonna be our biggest challenge yet. What are your thoughts on going a more running focus this week?

Talon

The biggest concern I have is that Vancouver is #1 in run defense and #32 in pass defense. and we are currently 29th in rushing and 8th in passing yards.

GM Josh

In that case Coach, no changes there. Thank you for letting me know that.

The only changes I'm gonna make this week is we'll rest Cesar and Tobias for sure, don't want to risk their injury getting worse.

We'll make the following Depth chart changes.

FS 1: Thomas Wagner
FS 2: Roger Hall

CB 1: Michael Briggs
CB 2: Herschel Leggett
CB 3: Lino Perkins

I do also want to see Sami get some more touches if possible.

Let's go ahead and lock in

GM Josh

1. Discuss your week 3 results, what were you happy with, what were you disappointed with? We finally got that first much needed win and over a strong team like Vancouver it's a statement. Also proud of the work put in by everyone, having our best run game so far over the number 1 run defenses shows we have the power. Honestly nothing to be disappointed with.

2. Have you and your coach made any major adjustments so far this season, if not do you feel you need to after this week?
As I'm sure all of you are aware by now, we have made a change to our QB core and brought in Richard Rainey to help add that extra oomph to the team.

3. The league has discussed a potential league-sponsored event to give free agent offensive linemen the chance to showcase themselves to HIFL teams, what do you think of this idea?

I think it's a great idea, any chance to see more of what is out there is always helpful.

Jett Wilkinsons statement performance against Wyoming definitely had my attention the entire game.

5. Discuss your next opponent ss it first.

5. Discuss your next opponent ss it first.

5. Discuss your next opponent and game. What is something about that team that you wish you could emulate? On paper it's an even match up. You got two 1-2 teams going add it and one of us is walking away at a .500 record. Sydney is definitely a well rounded hungry team just like us and I know this is gonna be a hard fought game from both of us.

Talon

As we can see from social media, the receiver are excited to bring in Rainey and the fan base seems motivated.. nice move to swing for the fences.

GM Josh

Thank you Coach, I saw the opportunity and had to take it. I'm excited for our future any more now. I will say it is terrible timing as Welker did help get us that 1st win last week, but the only thing we can do now is move forward. I know we don't have a whole lot on him right now, but how do you feel Rainey fits our scheme?

Talon

I think he's a guy that we evaluate constantly, and we tailor the system to fit him, he's going to be our QB for the next few seasons whether he's elite or not judging by what you had to give up to get him, so we have to make sure we put him in the best situation to win.. I like him though, I think he can run our offense.

GM Josh

Thank you Coach. Definitely agree he's gonna be here for the long haul. That being said our game this week which do you think will be the best way to get him in to the flow. Throw him straight in to start or split the game, by giving Welker the first half and Rainey the second.

Talon

Unfortunately there isn't a real way to split time that way. We could split 50/50 through the entire game, but honestly if we're committing to Rainey, let him get his feet wet and play.  He had a lot of hype as being ready to play coming out of college, so if we simplify the playbook at first I think he'll be fine.  Maybe some hiccups here and there, but I don't see the need to split time.

GM Josh

Sounds like a plan to me, no better way to learn than doing. Thanks for your time this week Coach. Now it's time for the tough talk, can you have Welker come see me as soon as he's available, unless there is anything else you want to discuss.

Talon

GM Josh

I know this isn't the most ideal of situations and boy is the timing even bad, not that there is ever a good time for something like this to happen. Before anything else I want to say thank you and congrats on our first win of the season.

Now for the tough conversation.

I want to start by saying that I have nothing but respect for you which is why I wanted you here, to have a second chance in Portland. That being said, we know that sometimes that second chance isn't always going to be exactly what we want. I've heard all the talk about you not being the easiest to work with, but that's all just the talk of others who don't respect you. You're a veteran of the game and with that comes the responsibility of demonstrating that leadership and knowledge no matter what position you find yourself in.

Getting Rainey had nothing to do with me being upset at you, but rather an opportunity I saw and had to pounce on before anyone else did. As you know this is more than just a game, it's a business and sometimes in business you need to change directions. That is what we needed to do here. I know this is a hard ask, but I'm still gonna ask man to man will you continue to help lead this team and serve as a positive mentor to the younger guys?

Talon

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed and a little angry, but you've sold me on your vision here, and honestly I might not get a shot anywhere else right now, so what the hell?  I'll do my part, whatever that turns out to be, man.

GM Josh

That's what I like to hear and why I brought you here. You can head on back to practice sir.

Miss Audrey I think we've taken care of everything this week can you go head and send coach Wade the game plan with the following changes.

Continue to rest Tobias, Segura, and Cesar

FS 1: Thomas Wagner
FS 2: Roger Hall

CB 1: Michael Briggs
CB 2: Herschel Leggett
CB 3: Lino Perkins

We're gonna give the starting nod to Rainey

QB 1: Richard Rainey
QB 2: Richard Welker
QB 3: Harold Newell
QB 4: Travis West

lock in

GM Josh

1. Discuss your week 4 results (if you won, who deserves a game ball for their efforts?) (if you lost, who needs to step up to prevent another loss?) (if you had a bye-week, skip).

A heartbreaking loss, but it's no one's fault, we just had a big change in the team and it takes some time to get in to a groove, all we can do is push forward and make next week better.

2. One quarter of the way through the season, has your team played up to expectations?

I'm not gonna lie to you all, I was hoping we'd have a better record to show, but again, this season is a rebuilding season and we're still working to have all our parts moving in unison.

3. Do you see yourself attending the HIFL's Offensive Lineman Open House?

As much as I would love to, it doesn't look like it is in the cards for us this season.

Seeing that there are no undefeated teams left already speaks volumes to how competitive this league truly is. On a college level, shocked to see USC get just leveled by Southern Miss.

5. Grade your coaching staff so far through the first quarter of the season, have they lived up to your expectations?

My coaching staff has exceeded my expectations, I have honestly been grateful for Coach Wade helping me to adjust to my time here.

6. Discuss your next opponent and game. What is something about that team that you wish you could emulate? Atlanta is a team with a great all around offense and have remained pretty consistent throughout the last few weeks and consistency is definitely something I like to see from my team. I expect this week to be a great game between both of us.

Talon

Well, our defense continues to play well statistically and we should see Rainey get more comfortable every week..

GM Josh

Agreed, we're starting to get where we need to be, just need that little more time for the team to gel as well as have a fully fresh team. Speaking of that looks like we have Tobias, Segura, and Cesar all ready to come back in to the fold. That should help a lot.

What are your thoughts on Atlanta?

Talon

They are a good team, but right now their pass game is the pits.  They are a very up and down team.  #32 in passing but #2 vs the pass.  #4 rushing but #27 vs the run.   

Our defense has been really solid outside of that week 1 loss, so I think we can frustrate them and if Estates can have a big game we can get a big upset.

GM Josh

Sounds like this week is the perfect week for our defense to be back at 100% as well as get Rainey some more practice time to gel with the team. Is there anything you feel needs to be addressed or changes this week other than putting Cesar, Tobias, and Segura back in?

Talon

I don't think so, boss. We're good.

GM Josh

That's what I like to hear.  Let's see what Rainey can do now that he's had more time to settle in with us and what happens with our defense back at 100.

We'll make the following changes.

CB1-Michael Briggs
CB4-Herschel Leggett

CB2-John Segura
CB5-Herschel Leggett

CB3-Tobias Johnson
CB6-Lino Perkins

FS1-Cesar White
FS2-Thomas Wagner

lock in

GM Josh

1. Discuss your week 5 results (if you won, who deserves a game ball for their efforts?) (if you lost, who needs to step up to prevent another loss?) (if you had a bye-week, discuss a game that caught your eye).

Another week another loss, honestly losing our starting QB doesn't help us with our need to all get on the same page with each other and really find our rhythm. We've dealt with a lot of changes since the start of the season. The team as a whole needs to help each other and work to adapt quickly to changes that happen.

2. What does your team need most in terms of improvement?
Finishing, we're putting up good numbers yardage wise, but we're not capitalizing on that in the endzone. Defensively we need to work on forcing those turnovers in our favor and not letting teams walk through us. Back to back games of allowing 30+ points is not acceptable.

3. Discuss any news that interested you, if you had team specific news address it first. 

Full disclosure a little disappointed I wasn't able to attend the O-line open house even to just have an awareness of what could be coming up against us.

4. Discuss your next opponent and game. What is your biggest advantage in this contest? (if you have a bye week, discuss what you hope to achieve this week)

Going up against a strong team in Rapid City, our advantage will be our biggest weakness as well. Our lack of consistency means we never know for sure what we're going to get overall. Does make it harder to play against but makes it harder on us to have a game plan.

————————-

Coach I know having Rainey go down during the game definitely hurts, but that can't be the only thing hurting us. We need to work on finishing our drives and coming up with something every time we touch the ball.

Talon

I agree boss, we're working to get things operating smoothly, it's definitely partly the amount of change from the last administration.  New GM, new coaches, QB changes.. the team is going to probably be trying to find itself all season, in the end we might be best to think of this first season as a learning season for us and not stress too badly on wins and losses and just try to find some consistency.   

Trust me, I want to win all the time, but don't let this start discourage you, you've been doing things the right way and eventually we'll come together and pay that off, I believe.

GM Josh

Thanks coach, you're absolutely right it has been a lot of changes and it does take some time for those adjustments. Speaking of changes, I finished a trade for James Brown to join us here. Any thoughts on him or if we should slot him in over Benito?

Talon

I love Yang's speed, but Brown is FAR better as a starting linebacker for us than Benny is.

GM Josh

Thank you for the honesty coach. Benito is young too and this gives him another vet that can help elevate his game.

Apologies as well for getting a little heated with the press. I know we have a great team and a great coaching staff, I just want the rest of the league to see that.

Is there anything else you feel needs to be immediately addressed, if not I want to go check on Rainey and see what kind of chances we have of him starting this week.

Talon

No problem boss, nobody wants to lose, I just don't want you to think you're doing something wrong.  We just have to get the right people on the roster and get the chemistry built.

I'm good to go.

GM Josh

Thanks coach. I'll touch base with you before we lock in for the week.

I'm going to go check on Rainey.

————-

Hey Doc, how bads the break to Raineys finger?

Talon

They're saying its not too serious, they give me a 50/50 shot of playing this week.

GM Josh

I'm glad to hear it's not serious, I think it's best if we let you rest this week and make sure the doc says you're 100% ready to come back, wouldn't hog agree?

Talon

GM Josh

I knew Chester snuck in here, thanks for spotting him Richard.

He seems to think you should rest this week, what do you think?

Talon

I'll play if they clear me, I don't think its serious enough to flat out bench me no matter what, leave it up to the game-day docs and see what happens, I say.