LONDON HARRIERS [GM OLDFIELD]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 11:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Oldfield

I look forward to working with you Brett.

GM Oldfield smiles and nods as Brett Myers leaves, their affinity so high now that Brett can read his thoughts behind his tired eyes. 'Sort my quarterback and receivers out. I beg you! You're my only hope'. The message is loud and clear, painted across his facial features

Can you please get me James T. Crain on the phone.

Mr Crain, I find I'm a bit short at defensive tackle all of a sudden and wondered if Douglas Cato would be interested in coming here for the remainder of the season. Would a cool 1 million of your US dollars make it so?

Talon

I'd prefer $1MM Euros, but hey we'll sign.

GM Oldfield

Euros will be no good here sir in this post-brexit apocalypse, but we'll make sure Cato gets paid. Thanks for your time.

Coach Crawford please,

Coach, we've made A LOT of changes in the past two weeks, and I don't want to go into every detail but I'd like to discuss a couple of things.

Firstly, we've acquired Louis Myers from Michigan and I'd like to get him into that starting 3. Who out of him and waddle is better suited playing on the outside?

GM Oldfield

And by Louis, I mean Brett Myers. Glad I didn't make that mistake with him

Talon

AFFINITY FALLS FROM AFAR

Talon

I would play Waddle in the slot.

GM Oldfield

That's great thanks.

I have noticed in the stats that Fournette has had quite a few drops. How are his hands in general? Is Breaux  a better option as a third down back?

Talon

Their hands are really very similar, but Prince's overall skillset is more dynamic, so I think the potential for a big play is worth the risk.

GM Oldfield

Excellent I'll keep him in then

DEPTH CHART CHANGES

QB-Gunner Cole
QB2-Douglas Barnhart
QB3-Adam Starr

RB1-Daniel Darby
RB2-Prince Fournette
RB3-Harry Breaux
RB4-William Hannah

FB-Benjamin Horner

TE1-Lawrence Bates
TE2-Wayne Burden
TE3-Marcellus Canty

WR1-Grady Ashby
LWR4-Larry Ambrose

WR2-Jaylen Waddell
WR5-Morris Cueller

WR3- Brett Myers
WR6-Cristopher Aviles

LT-Charles Bailey
LT2-Pierre Lewis

LG-Gary Ennis
LG2-Arthur Bradley

C-Patrick Faber
C2-Lester Fischer

RG-Warner Kaminski
RG2-Donnie Kohler

RT-Sean Lewis
RT2-Pierre Lewis
RT3 Parker Grace

DEFENSE MASTER DEPTH CHART

PACKAGE NAME: Standard Defence

DT1-Harry Steele
DT3-Douglas Cato

DT2-Carlos Cotton
DT4-Steven Thompson

RE1-Henry Patten
RE2- DaQuan Mack
RE3- Johnnie Richardson [/color

LE1-Richard Gary
LE2- DaQuan Mack
LE3 - Johnnie Richardson

MLB1-Cecil Kellog
MLB2-James Box

ROLB1-James Box
ROLB2-Oscar Ventura
ROLB3-Roberto Churchill

LOLB1-Oscar Ventura
LOLB2-Kevin Ashcraft
LOLB3- Roberto Churchill 

CB1-Eric Evans
CB4-Thomas Berry

CB2-Albert Cheatham
CB5-James Newell

CB3-Samual Goode

FS1-Aaron Milliken
FS2-Chad Ahrens

SS1- Guy Simpson
SS2-Lawrence Cantrell
SS3- Edward Sparks

Additional offensive packages (disregard previous ones)

Package name: Gilberto (2 TE to be used on 50% of 1st downs)   

QB- Gunner Cole

RB1- Daniel Darby
TE1-Lawrence Bates
TE2- Wayne Burden
WR1- Grady Ashby
WR2-Jaylen Waddle
LT-Charles Bailey
LG-Gary Ennis
C-Patrick Faber
RG-Warner Kaminski
RT-Sean Lewis

Package name: Soldado (3 WR spread to be used on 50% of first downs)

QB- Gunner Cole
QB2-Douglas Barnhart

RB1- Prince Fournette
TE1-Lawrence Bates
WR1- Grady Ashby
WR2- Brett Myers
WR3-Jaylen Waddle
LT-Charles Bailey
LG-Gary Ennis
C-Patrick Faber
RG-Warner Kaminski
RT-Sean Lewis

Package name: Gilberto (Jumbo goal line package/3rd and inches/4th and inches type scenario)

QB- Gunner Cole

FB- Benjamin Horner
RB1- Daniel Darby
TE1-Lawrence Bates
TE2- Wayne Burden
WR1- Morris Cueller
LT-Charles Bailey
LG-Gary Ennis
C-Patrick Faber
RG-Warner Kaminski
RT-Sean Lewis

Lock in

GM Oldfield

Discuss your weeks results

In the first half we showed what we can do defensively, keeping the defending champions in check. Unfortunately, once they scored that touchdown in the 3rd quarter and we had to push it we came unstuck. Obviously offensively we were not good enough, and it's something we need to address long term with players very much in a 'prove it or lose it' situations as starters, but what really disappointed me was the amount of penalties. We have prided ourselves on discipline, so that was very unlike us.

Discuss any news that interested you, what do you make of the recent GM moves around the league?

Firstly I'd like to publicly back my coaching staff. Steven Crawford has one of the sharpest minds in football and is born winner, it's embedded in his very DNA. He was a successful player, and I know he'll be a successful coach. When he and I came to Tottenham, we were taking over a team who averaged just 14.2 points per game and then had a large number of quality players traded when the GM jumped ship. All I can do is continue to ask supporters who have been fantastic is time, this is a long term project but I promise better fortunes are on the horizon. Those wins against Amsterdam and Orlando just show what this team are capable of.

Next, i can't deny I was disappointed to hear the news about EE. I had planned to build my defence around him and Kellog, who I truly believe are leaders in their positions. I don't know his reasoning yet or his degree of eagerness to leave so I can't comment too much and will address that in due time.

In other news, it seems half my pantry has been there longer then Gooch was at Seattle. Bit of a shock but it the rumours of promising the owner an impact bowl within two seasons are true, then time was always against him. A lot of players requesting trades which is not surprising given the upcoming trade deadline. Gonna be a busy week for whoever's tracking the draft picks.

Oldfield's eye twitched

A lot of pressure on some GM's I see. When your team is running at 25% over budget, or when you've traded elite players for less than their recognised value or deciding that no OC is better than your own OC, you make a Rod for your back and success is vital. But not everyone can be successful, so I imagine we could see a big GM Migration in the offseason.

And whoever gets Fredrickson and Beatty are getting two superstars there.

Rate your teams activity level this week when it comes to the Trade deadline, should fans have their notifications on for a big deal, or is it likely to be quiet?

I think it comes as no shock that we are rebuilding. we inherited a lot of players that clearly the big dog didn't want at long beach, coupled with some big contracts, and I've slowly tried to adjust things to make a real go in the offseason of acquiring players who fit Crawfords vision. If any guys on my team are in 'win now mode' then I will try my best to find them new homes, but hopefully we have a good core of young, hungry players who can see my long term vision.

How safe do you feel you are right now, is your job secure?

I have a 4 year contract and I'm just 9 weeks in so hopefully my owner understood this was a long term project. This is my home team and I'm passionate about the staff and the fans. However, I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth and I don't think you can ever feel too comfortable managing elite sport.

Discuss your next opponent and game. What is your biggest advantage in this contest?

Honesty whoever came up with this schedule this year, what did I do to you? We now host Miami, and our offense comes up against a team that had double digit PD's and a player in Greenwood who is a game changer on defence. Another big test for own young QB, but one we relish tackling.

Ms Bloodsworth how are you on this lovely morning? Could I have a financial check just to make sure both our documents match?

Talon

I appreciate the public show of support, boss.  It definitely means a lot.

GM Oldfield

When I brought you in to be head coach at this organisation i wasn't expecting immediate success, but something long term the whole of England could be proud of. This year has been a learning curve for all of us and I am still 100% sure you are the one to guide us.

I know I have one eye on next season, but it would be nice to give these fans something to get excited about. I think this is also the time to get a bit creative and try either systems or players with an eye on the future? Is there any of the young up and coming guys you believe how a high ceiling who could benefit from some more game time? Anything offensively you'd like to try?

Talon

Maybe not right now but later in the season I'd like to see what Starr has to offer at QB, he has a great arm and he'll be a cheap re-sign in all likelyhood.

Newell and Berry are both promising rookies I want to see more of when we can even though we have our top 3 corners under contract for multiple years.

Lastly, I think Ed Sparks might have something to offer at SS, he's the fastest SS we have which gives him a chance

GM Oldfield

Starr's an interesting one. I'd give him a game like Michigan but I don't want him bulldozed but Reed and co game one. Is he an option at QB2 in the future?

The two corners may certainly get more game time depending on Evans I guess.

Sparks is the most interesting? How quick is he? Could he return? Not sure I've seen a strong safety return before. I always like the idea of quick safeties being the blitzer so what about a high blitzing package featuring him?

Talon

He's not fast enough to do returns, he's just faster than the slow guys we have at SS.

GM Oldfield

Ah yea I get you. I think I'll put some packages together to utilise them all or at least find them some snaps.

So you've probably seen the league office stuff, but I've pulled the trigger and got us what I hope is our long term QB. He's very different to Gunner, but I think in the spread offense you would like to play he will shit your style.
The fact he has 68.4% completion rate, twice as many touchdowns and a much better Y/A with a very average receiver corp tempted me to take a chance on something that might not come along again.

What are your thoughts and how do we get the best out of him?

Talon

I certainly hope he doesn't shit our style, but from what I know of Lincoln Doss is we just landed a guy with a great arm, great accuracy, and an attitude that wants to win at all costs.  He's a gamer, and he's been proving others wrong for a long time.  I think we just got a guy who can be that game changer we need.

GM Oldfield

I certainly hope so coach.

In terms of tactical changes I am thinking of switching from short passes to mixed. It may take a few weeks for the receivers and Lincoln to be in tandem, but they'll get there. Aren't there any other changes you'd make to the way we play?

Talon

I'll make a few tweaks here and there and see if it gets us flowing offensively.  It's an exciting time in this office right now.

GM Oldfield

I'm glad I finally have a QB to get you excited coach. Let's surprise a few ppl this year and make sure no stones unturned when it comes to evaluated the squad.

Eric Evans please,

EE how are things? Obviously I've seen something in the news and thought I'd catch up, see where things are and what I can do to help etc

Talon

Just in a frustrating place, I want to win games.   It sucks losing.  You spend your life going undefeated... Pop-Warner, Pee-Wee, Middle School, High School... then you go to college and lose once or twice across 3 years...  Then you go pro and the loses just keep coming.  It's hard to adjust to having to be OK with losing.

GM Oldfield

I know how you feel. I don't want to be the GM who can't put together a winning season, but I am soon realising transforming this team is going to take more than just last offseason. As I've said to you before I want to build my defence around you and Kellog, but Equally I can't force you to stay if an opportunity at a ring comes your way.

Here's what I propose, I'll put out the feelers and see if someone out there is willing to trade. Currently there's been a little bit of interest but teams aren't willing to commit; they either don't value you like I do or they are naturally  cautious. If an offer comes in, great, if not are you happy to explore this again in the offseason? I've brought in a superstar quarterback in my eyes, so I'm hoping a few more signings can convince you of what I'm trying to achieve.

Talon

I'm fine with anything boss, I was simply saying this week when asked, that if you decided to shop me I wouldn't be upset because I wouldn't mind playing for a contender; I'm signed here and Im going to respect that contract, but if you get an offer, I won't hold it against you to trade me either.

GM Oldfield

Ok that's great to hear. Because I'm delighted to have you on board and keep you.

While your hear, how are you getting on with the other corners? How are the two young ones Berry and Newell developing?

Talon

I love those guys, man.  Berry is always showing improvements whether its to his hands, his conditioning, his IQ, he's a sponge and he's hungry to grow.    James too, but he's not shown as much growth, but he's worked on his hands and his agility lately which is great!

GM Oldfield

That's good to know. I am keen to get them more game time and so hearing your endorsement in their hunger to improve really helps. Thanks for your time EE.

Lincoln Doss please,

Mr Doss, welcome to London. I'm the general manager here. You've been at cancun so you probably don't know what a Gm is, but they are usually responsible for personnel on the franchise, and occasionally interact with players such as yourself. Anyway, I am really excited to see what you can do here, and having arranged a new contract starting next season already, I am hoping that's one less thing for you to worry about .

Talon

I appreciate the warm welcome GM Oldfield, and that new contract too. Job security is nice to have, especially after starting my career with some bumps in the road down in Cancun; but me and GM Cure were aight, we share an alma mater and all so I always got love for him and giving me my shot to make it in the league.

But the past is past and here we are now.. Tottenham, the Mid-Atlantic; and a chance for me to beat my least favorite team twice a year... man I love it; when I was a little kid I just HATED the New Jersey Dragons, so to be in they division... shit, I can't WAIT to drop bombs on they side.

GM Oldfield

Well you're in luck sir, because you get to play them this season not once, but twice. And if there's one way to announce yourself to the fans it's by putting one over that organisation and that fossil they call a GM.

Talon

BET!  I'm ready.   Now my last spot in Cancun, I got knocked by the media and some fans because when Im done with my work I like to enjoy my life a little and that includes spending time in some of the nicer clubs in the area; that going to be a problem with you?

GM Oldfield

Only if you don't invite me!

Talon

HAHA, Alright I feel that.  Good deal man. We're going to get along just fine.

GM Oldfield

Haha for sure. Seriously though, train hard, work hard, show what you've got, then if you wanna let of some steam in some of the top end bars we have in soho why the hell not? You ain't robots.

Talon

Appreciate that support boss, it's going to be a fun ride.  Watch and see.

GM Oldfield

Great stuff. Now go meet your new team mates and if we get a win against Miami the first rounds on me!

Cecil Kellog Please,

Cecil thanks for stopping by. I know this years been rough but I just wanted to know how much I appreciate the hard work you've put in. Not only are you racking up those tackles, but your making those around you better and that's why your such a vital leader to this organisation so thank you

Talon

Just doing my job, Boss. Thanks for recognizing the work I put in.

GM Oldfield

It's a joy to have work with you. I know this season is tough but I'm really excited about this franchises long term future with you front and Center.

How are you finding working with the other linebackers? Box, Ashcraft and Ventura have all Suprised me but how do you feel they're progressing day to day?

Talon

I'm no coach, so I can't say much about their progression, but its been fun playing with the guys.  I had better chemistry with Manning before he was taken to Long Beach, but yeah we're getting along just fine.

GM Oldfield

Fantastic. Keep up the great work I know you raise everyone else around you. Let's go surprise a few people.

Depth chart changes

QB1- Lincoln Doss

DT1 Carlos Cotton
DT2 Douglas Cato
DT3 Ricky Sandoval
DT4 Steven Thompson

Additional Offensive packages

Package name: Mido (3 WR spread to be used on 50% of 3WR packages with Soldado as the other 50% )

QB- Lincoln Doss
RB1- Prince Fournette
TE1-Lawrence Bates
WR1- Grady Ashby
WR2- Larry Ambrose 
WR3-Jaylen Waddle
LT-Charles Bailey
LG-Gary Ennis
C-Patrick Faber
RG-Warner Kaminski
RT-Sean Lewis

Additional defensive packages  

PACKAGE NAME: Northumberland Park  (4-2-5 Nickel package for blitzing 90% of the time ) :

DT1-Carlos Cotton
DT2-Douglas Cato
RE1-Henry Patten
LE1- Richard Gary
LB1-Cecil Kellog
LB2 -James Box

CB1-Eric Evans
CB2-Thomas Berry
CB3-Samual Goode

FS1-Aaron Milliken
SS1- Edward Sparks

Team Strategy changes

Change passing focus to Balanced
QB Tuck and Run upped to Normal
Change tight end focus to Catching

Lock in

GM Oldfield

Discuss your weeks results

Disappointing result given we kept Miami in check for 3 quarters only for Patton to really shift a gear at the end. We kept their run game in check and James Box was incredible, but there are two aspects of the game we really need to improve going forward. First, we need the offense to kick on. We need to find a way to get our run game going, we need to find a way to spread the offense and give Doss the best chance to pick teams apart. Secondly, we need to find a way to get pressure on the quarterback. No disrespect to Patton, but what he did it easier to do when the team you are facing have 0 sacks, 0 knock downs, 0 hurries.

Discuss any news that interested you

I wholeheartedly share the fans sentiments. I've invested a lot of trade capital in Lincoln which I feels shows just how much I believe in him. Now it's just a question of finding the best set up that gets the best out of him. One game is hard to judge, given how good Miami's pass defence is and the fact they registered 10 PD's shows it was just all about us, but rest assured I will sit down with the coaches and we will find a way to unlock his true potential.

Strange to read about the franchise thing. The temporary GM at Cancun did a great job building some massive draft capital there, and franchise looks like he's in reset mode with the barons. Perhaps it's not the best fit.

Speaking of Barons, it's really impressive to see a QB who's been dropped respond in that way. To change positions in order to still help the team to have to really commend. Not all quarterbacks respond that way, believe me!

With the trade deadline in the rear view, what move surprised you the most?

Wow that's a great question. So many big moves, but I would say Orlando bringing in Glass and Embid. GM rebel is often quiet in the trade world, but those two moves really impressed me and show how much he's going for it this year.

Tell us a player on offense and defense you want to see more from in the second half of the season.

Offensively, I'd like to see Ashby take that next leap and really show he's an elite level reciever in HIFL. I think he's got all the tools to put together some big games, and hopefully he can build a rapport with Doss and thrive.

Defensively, I'd love to see Richard Gary show he deserves to start in this league.

Discuss your next opponent and game. What is your biggest advantage in this contest?

Alabama next. Doesn't get any easier does it? I think setting up the game plan is simple; you try and limit the yards on the ground, don't over commit and let Ortega break the line, try and get ahead early and force the pass. But executing that game plan is another thing altogether. Nevertheless we will put every effort in. We want to surprise a few teams so why not them?

Coach, what's your early evaluation of Doss' performance? And what do we need to do to get the best out of him?

Talon

All we can do right now is not micromanage.  We've put the offense together, we've got him in the heart of the gameplan, now we wait.

GM Oldfield

Very good point. Long term, is there any aspect of his game that could be improved or do you feel he's at his ceiling?

Talon

Oh I definitely see his ceiling being higher.  He will continue to get smarter in our system, we'll work to get the most out of his arm and accuracy, not to mention with his athleticism, you never know what you might et on a broken play.

GM Oldfield

I certainly would like to see him use his legs more, but I am reluctant to tinker so early.

Let's talk about Waddle and Ashby. Their caught percentage was pretty low. Is it a strength thing? Or hands or maybe technique?

Talon

I'd lean more strength and IQ for both of them, they have great hand ratings and position skill, so it has to be focus or strength

GM Oldfield

That's really good to know coach thanks.

Lastly, it's clear we're not getting to the QB enough. Or even at all. Anything we can do in terms of upping the blitz? Or is it a case of we are what we are and the offseason will be where we can address that?

Talon

I think we lack much in the pass rush department.  We need to work on Patten's agility and IQ to maximize his potential, but other than that I just don't think we have the guys to go after the QB.

GM Oldfield

It's certainly something I'll be looking at in the offseason given all four DT's will be out of contract and we can have time to work on Patton. I don't want to rush these things with young players, I've been guilty of that in the past. Thanks coach.

James Box,

James, just wanted to touch base and let you know how much I appreciate your great performances recently. I think your really coming into your own here in Tottenham, and showing how wrong certain people were to trade toh. I know it's been a rough season, but how's the mood in the locker room?

Talon

Morale is a direct reflection of our record, so it's not all games of jenga and light as a feather stiff as a board, but it's not like a panic situation either.

GM Oldfield

I can understand that. Let's keep working hard and one big win is round the corner to lift the whole team. Thanks for all your hard work.

Change defensive focus to run

LOCK IN

GM Oldfield

Discuss this past week.

Disappointing to lose especially when we had chances to get back in it. A lot of close 4th down opportunities, some short by mere inches and taking our chances is something we're gonna have to take as we look to improve going forward. Some positives to take, the defence managed to stifle the hawks, with a lot of 3 and out's, and Doss found some good links with the receivers. It's progress, but in order to beat one of these big boys we need to put together a seamless game for all four quarters rather then pockets of good play. That's the goal

Discuss any news that interested you. 

I think Lincoln has his the nail on the head with what he's said and what we really need from everyone is patience. The grim reality is I took over a team who lost their last 8 games, scored just 43 points in their last 5 games and lost manning, Phillips and diamond when their GM jumped ship. We've upped their points per game by over 5, we've shown we can compete in almost every game, and we've had two really good wins against Amsterdam and Orlando. This season was always going to painful as I tried to balance the books and ensure we could get the right players to fit the system next year, so I appreciate the patience the organisation has shown. I feel confident that this team will be challenging the division next year.

Elsewhere, disappointing to see a guy like Mumbassa named the scapegoat at Milwaukee. I'm sure the guy will land on his feet, I just hope he's not a good quality coach who ends up going over to a rival league.

Ortega's having work on his lower body? I assume that's by a mechanic, not a doctor because I'm pretty sure that man's got bionic legs. Assumed he'd hurt his shoulder seeing as he never throws.

I'd like to hear from Mr Tate and see how he feels about being dropped for a rookie when he just picked up two wins and 6 touchdowns in his last 2 games.

Lol that Brew crew are crazy. Good win for them tho. Nice to see.

I was surprised to see growing unrest in Atlanta. Obviously if you buy a ticket and support an organisation you are entitled to your opinion, but in GM Wrong they have an experienced GM who has been a genuine playoff contender more often than not and turned their team from 0 wins in nearly 2 seasons, to conference finalists. With other GM's such as Franchise, being banded about, and slim pickings in the free agent market, it may be a case of 'careful what you wish for'.

Welcome back Dak. It's nice to see guys like that back in the league.

Talk about your plans for this week:

There's this wise old proverb banding around. 'I GM, he coaches' or something to those affect. I have put together the players, so there's not much for me to do but put my faith in the coaching staff to make sure they are equipped to challenge a very good DC team.

Coach, disappointing but close game. I don't want to waste time this week, The only think I wanted to do was switch our focus from run defence to pass defence this week given what DC do. Are you happy with that? Any other alterations you'd like to see?