TUCSON STARS [GM PANCHO]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Dougie

Alright. Lets get this going. I want the starters to get some playing time but lets get some reserves some action too.

Playing time: Mixed.

QB1: Thomas Maldonado
QB2: Vega Del Rio
QB3: Jesse Burgess

RB1: Kostas Moustakas
RB2: Troy Upton
RB3: Clifton Dennison

FB: Ricky Muir

TE1: Mohammed Westmoreland
TE2: Stephen Green
TE3: Jose Anderson

WR1: Jonathan Finch
WR1b/WR4: Gregory McGinnis

WR2: Rodolfo Chance
WR2b/WR5: Kenneth Langlois

WR3: Willard Garza
WR3b: Richard Taylor

LT1: Julio Redd
LT2: Ashley Guthrie

LG1: Billy Godfrey
LG2: Raymond Fort

C1: Delmar Kane
C2: Michael Clark

RG1: William Rousseau
RG2: Sean Heckman

RT1: Daniel Brown
RT2: Fred Lopez

DT1: Luis Peacock
DT2: Joseph Phillips
DT3: Christopher Joe
DT4: Glen Cooney

LDE1: Arthur Matthews
LDE2: Brent Cormier

RDE1: Scott Layton
RDE2: Richard Duncan

LOLB1: Edward Bailey
LOLB2: Walter Pickett

ROLB1: Aristotle Vasilakos
ROLB2: Ben Pipkin

MLB1: Darwin Roberge
MLB2: Salvador Batchelor

CB1: Juan Kirk
CB1b/CB5: William Rice

CB2: Daniel Jennings
CB2b/CB6: Glenn Parra

CB3: Miquel Reed
CB3b: William Rice

CB4: Jeremy Hall
CB4b: Glenn Parra

FS1: Harry Abel
FS2: Walter Turner
FS3: Margarito Saylor

SS1: Ronwen Modiba
SS2: Michael Thurston
SS3: Salvador Batchelor

K: Jorge D'Angelo

P: John Daniel

KR1: Gregory McGinnis
KR2: Kostas Moustakas
KR3: Juan Kirk

PR1: Gregory McGinnis
PR2: Kostas Moustakas
PR3: Juan Kirk

Lock In

GM Dougie

1. What did you take away from this slate of pre-season games?

Its good to see all the guys get reps. The only game result that really means anything to us is what the injury report looks like and it feels to me that we're doing alright. We had a lead or kept it close in every game during the time that the starters were on the field and we saw significant contributions from guys who might normally only be on special teams. Maldy looks ready to pick up where he left off last season and was real sharp especially in the last game. The defense is going through some tweaks in the new system and I'm excited for them to get better with every game. So I'm just happy to see players getting needed experience in live game situations and staying healthy after it.

2. Which player stood out the most to you from your team?

I'll give you two. Kostas sure looks great at running back and in the return game. I'm really hoping he can simply resume the role that Dunlap had here for years. And those critics who are saying we can't run the ball? I hope Kostas and Troy can really shut them up this season. Also, my other pick, Gregory McGinnis. The rookie showed his speed but also some good hands in my opinion. He was all over the stat sheet each game.

3. Did anyone surprise you and earn a starting job?

No surprises really. Those guys I mentioned moments ago...Kostas will probably get the nod at running back to start the season. And at wide receiver, who is going to be #3 will be a discussion I have with the coaches because Garza finished strong last season but McGinnis is showing out early!

4. Does the pre-season change your feeling about your teams potential this season?

No. We're all in on an Impact Bowl.

5. Talk about your opponent for week 1, and what it will take to win.

Its nice to be opening the season at home. We have the Fury coming into town and they're going to be a tough out for sure. Tyger could be a menace and we need Kirk lock him down. Our front four needs to get pressure often and on offense, we play our brand of football. We plan to kick off this Impact Bowl season with a home win for our fans!

Talon

Glad that Maldy looked so crisp in the final tune up.  Showed them it wasn't that hard to pass, brother... hehe

GM Dougie

I see what you did there.

Based on what you and the coaches saw in those games, are there any adjustments you think are worth looking at in the depth chart? Are there things like if we switch where CB1 and 2 are or WR3 and WR4 or which sides Layton and Matthews come from...anything that might improve the effort or do we like it the way it is?

Talon

I like things how they are, I think we're good.

GM Dougie

Then lets get this season started on the right foot.

Lock In

GM Dougie

1. Talk us through opening week, what went as expected?  Where did you exceed expectations, and where did you fall short?

Well we got the W and that's our expectation in this building. I loved the hot start and I appreciate seeing Maldy be Maldy. He was on it. Those couple of picks were tough but that's how it goes. Our run game was doing just fine but the script led to more passes when we fell behind in the 2nd. We did a great job on defense getting to Corrales with some blitzes. Our front four did some pressure to help that. But I think it was tough to see this game come down to it at the end. I'm glad we were able to get the stops we needed late but we can't have a 13 point deficit in the 4th of every game and expect to win. Our guys are getting used to the new defensive scheme and I think we get better with each and every game.

2. Which player stood out the most to you from your opponents team?

Admittedly I didn't know much about that BBB kid Azul but he really gashed us on the ground. Special kid.

3. Any news across the league that interests you?

I think its a great look for this league to see the early success of the players from the FemFL. Time and time again we preach how the HIFL is the major league and the best of opportunity in professional football and these women are showing they can belong here.

4. Do you feel like you put your team in the best position for success coming into this week 1 game?

Any GM who says 100% to this question will always be lying. There's always something better even if we can't see it. That said, I think the business we conducted in the offseason was focused on depth and putting ourselves in a better situation for long term success. We did lose a couple of big names and I did my best to fill the holes with winning football players. Its not perfect but again, I think every week we'll get better and better as a team. There is room for growth regardless of expectation.

5. Talk about your opponent for week 2 and what you will need to see from your team.

Sydney really took it to Miami this week didn't they. And they were such a dominant running team with Courtney in past seasons but this one they showed how dangerous they can be through the air as well. Sydney is a good team and we've been fortunate to have them in our house the past couple seasons. This year it will take one of our best games early on to secure a win.

Talon

A nice opening Weekend without any significant losses to injury, and a gutsy final quarter where we got it all back in sync.

GM Dougie

Absolutely. And congrats to you for your first win as a head coach!

Its obviously too early to make any changes. I hope our defense can hold Sydney down. The eye test tells more than the box score. It seems like they just got a lot of chunk plays when it mattered. If there's something I may be a little concerned about early on, its the pass protection. And I know our coaches talked a little bit about that in the offseason. Can't be happy about Maldy taking 4 sacks in that game. What are your thoughts?

Talon

It is a mixed bag. Obviously I dont want him getting hit, but outside of the sacks, there were only 4 other registered pressures. 

With the volume of passing attempts, that's still a decent rate when you figure we had 5 pressures on top of our 4 sacks on Corrales, and he only dropped back 29 times compared to our 43.

Still something to watch, but not much we can do outside of making a big trade for an upgrade on the line somewhere.

GM Dougie

That's the kind of stuff I like to see. 31% pressure/sack on his dropbacks. That puts us in a good place if we can keep that kind of percentage all season. And good to know and monitor on our side.

Alright. Big road game this week. Lets make it happen!

Lock In

GM Dougie

1. Talk about your teams performance this week.

That one didn't go the way we wanted it to go. You need some early adversity to help things get figured out but they really were too physical for us. Sydney won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and although we did a better job of keeping Maldy upright this week, we could move the ball on the ground. Once we started falling behind and became one dimensional, it just wasn't in the cards for one of those clutch comeback moments. The guys are ready to let the wounds heal and move onto the next one. Just a tough tough loss. But credit to Sydney they're a great team and have been for years. We've had their number in the past but deserved what was brought to us this week.

2. How do you feel about your team after two weeks?

As with every week in the HIFL, there's room to grow. Two weeks into the season and we've got some glaring things that may need to be addressed going forward. We're a good football team but we're a football team that needs to get better. The staff and I will talk about ways we can do that.

3. Anything across the league you wish to comment on?

It sure feels like a lot of injuries pretty early in the season are coming up. You don't want that for our players. I don't know if its just bad luck or if its how certain teams handled their preseason and camps. We're fortunate to be healthy but we are banged up.

4. Talk about your opponent for week 3 and what you will need to see from your team.

Well one thing is for sure...we can't let Oakland put up 69 on us. That is an explosive offense. It definitely starts up front and we've done a good job of getting pressure but our sacks have come more from the back seven than the front four. We can definitely get a leg up this week if Matthews and Layton can get it finished. And we certainly have to do better on the offensive side of the ball to get the win at home for our fans this week.

Talon

That was a tough Sydney side, they looked motivated, and their lack of penalties was a big factor. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we played them again later in the year.

GM Dougie

They are a perennial playoff contender each year.

I'm kind of at a loss for words as to what to ask about. What's one thing on each side of the ball that you think we can do better at coming into this week?

Talon

Its the run game.  We're 30th in rushing at 61 yards per game and 25th in rushing against at 160 yards per game.   

We're not getting anything out of the RB room yet, and on the defense Layton has struggled early in the year, we need him to get right.

GM Dougie

One of the reasons we drafted Layton was because he was scouted as fitting any defensive scheme. Has the switch to a 4-3 contributed to the struggles in any way or is it just bad matchups early on?

Talon

I think its just a transitional struggle.  I expect him to kick into gear, but its just made it harder on everyone else with his production being basically nothing so far.

GM Dougie

As for the run game, is it truly just a lack of an elite talent in your opinion or is there something we're lacking as a team focus? Many argued Dunlap was not a top tier back but he gave great production for us for multiple seasons. And we did see a little bit of transition in our O-line but not much. What stands out to you?

Talon

The running backs looked bad last week.  Maybe the line didnt have a great week against Sydney or maybe not, but I don't know boss. 

I know Dunlap did well for us, but he's not hear anymore. Maybe he was just better than the PFF ratings or EA ratings really made it appear, where these guys just aren't doing anything to stand out from the crowd.

GM Dougie

Well I'm open to an upgrade at the position if that's what its going to take...though its unlikely that it will be this week because I'm not sure what's out there via trade this early or the current free agent market at this time.

This week should certainly be a test to see where we're at. Hopefully we can get back into the winning column this week.

Lock In

GM Dougie

1. Talk about your teams performance this week.

Gritty. It was gritty. We played 3 great quarters of football. I cannot tell you what happened in the 3rd. They've got a special receiver over there in Oakland. They assaulted us in the 3rd but I love how we were able to withstand that and keep playing our game. Jorge was on this week...6 of 7 field goals right? We needed that in order to win because we were getting the yards but not getting into the endzone. Very gritty gritty performance. A win is a win and we need to start stacking more of them. We're atop the division early but we're certainly far from a perfect team and there's lots to improve on going forward.

2. Do you feel a particular coach has stood out on your staff, and why?

Lets take a look at all the facets of a game. Lets give some credit to our running backs coach. All the editorials out there are talking about our lack of a run game but he's certainly coaching up Moustakas and he had a great game this week...couple of big runs. Defensively, one thing that's been a constant since my time in Tucson is a lack of sacks outside of Hagan's year. But we're really turning up the pressure and we've already got double digit sacks just 3 games into the season. Special Teams coaches also deserve some praise. We're making due with what we've got and Jorge is having a good start kicking and Daniel is averaging almost 50 a punt. You win football games with field position. These guys cannot be talked about enough for their contributions.

3. Talk about your opponent for week 4, do you see any holes in their game that you can exploit?

I think this is a game that we can really show off what we've got in the passing game. But we still have to keep Maldy upright to do that. But I'd love to see more of that balance like this week. They're no slouch running the football and we can't seem to get one of those great games where we shut down a rushing attack. So we've gotta withstand that and get pressures and sacks. Execution in all three phases is what it takes to win.

Talon

I'm not saying this to say we're looking past Dallas, but we should throttle them.  They're a team still learning who they are and trying to make their system work consistently, and we're a division power that needs to show them how the pecking order really works in the Southwest.   

All gas, no brakes. We need to put it to them this week.

GM Dougie

Then I suggest we do exactly that. Lets get one more game in the books before we really sit down after the first quarter of the season and talk about strategy.

Any concerns? I haven't talked to many of the players yet this season. Its been kind of rough for me away from the office. Any conversations you think should take place at this time?

Talon

The players know your committed to the team and so far we haven't had any issues that have needed any attention, you're fine boss.

GM Dougie

Alright. Lets get another one and go from there.

Lock In

Talon

The league is really sent for a loop this week. If you have anything we need to do, just let me know but if not I've got nothing that can't wait.

Talon

GM Dougie

(Doug approaches the podium and slowly sits down. He looks out among the various reporters in the room.)

"Ok so I know you haven't seen a lot of me lately. I've got some of my own things going on. But honestly its hard to just think about being up here knowing we lost one of our GMs. I know there's going to be a lot of tributes in the coming weeks and we'll give it our time for that as well. I invite GM Metro to meet me on the field before the game and just share an embrace in honor of San Antonio's leader.

Back to this week. What a game right? Action packed from beginning to end. We were able to move the ball well both on the ground and through the air. Very balanced attack with some big plays throughout. We're going to live and die by the pass a lot this year too and fortunately Daniel made that big play at the end to prevent the comeback. We won't be giving up 43 every game. They were just able to convert a lot of big moves. I think everyone on their team who caught a pass had at least a double digit gain at some point. That leads to a high 3rd down conversion rate. They murdered us in that department. I'm thankful we were able to hold onto the game for our home fans.

For now that's really all I have to say. Vegas is a big game this week. They may be without Micah but they're an incredibly complete team and we have to play our best football in order to win which I know we're capable of. No other questions today please."

(And with that, Doug nods to the crowd and slowly walks away from the seated podium.)

Talon

Good to have you back. Milwaukee's offense has been really potent this season and they do some creative things, I'm chalking that one up to being one of those games where its just gonna be a shootout.  Vegas being what they are will be tough, but their pass protection has been weak, and without Larkin under center our pressure could create more turnovers even when we don't get home.  So I'm very hopeful we can pick up a big win this week.

GM Dougie

How do you feel about our running back situation? I saw an editorial out there about it. Seems the last couple of weeks Kostas has been doing pretty well. What are your thoughts?

Talon

I've been happy with Kostas these last couple of weeks, obviously if there is a chance to upgrade and we can afford it, why not?  but do we over pay for something or give up a piece we don't want to part with?  I don't think so.

GM Dougie

Is there anyone who is currently unhappy on the roster?

Talon

the rookie Burgess isn't happy, I think he hoped to go to a team where he would be QB2, but I don't think its anything to worry about.

Westmoreland is a little disgruntled but part of that is just him being injured, nothing to be worried about right now.

Thats it... everyone else is in a really good place.

GM Dougie

Very good. Well lets see how this plays out. Big game! Lets attack them.

Lock In

GM Dougie

What was it that coach said at the end of the game, "This is why you have to have a quality QB2 in this league."

Lets make it clear that I don't think he was taking a shot at Vegas with that comment. Its easy to think that given the history of these two teams but in reality, we're in a sport where an injury can happen at any time. If anything, Vega really deserves a hell of a lot of credit because he didn't get the week of preparation. Maldy went down in the game and he had to step up with no first team reps all week. But Vega has the experience of being in this league to know that when its time to call his number that he'll step up and play.

What a game though right? We got off to a big lead but let them back into it. Battle of two star kickers, our star and our former star. Being able to walk out of Vegas with that win is special though. We were able to take advantage of their offensive line and get some big sacks and turnovers. How about Modiba with the player of the week? Huge huge game. Beating the Impact Bowl champs in their house...like I said its just special. But at the same time, we have to reset and prepare all over again because we've got games to play. We'll see them again at least once this year and it wouldn't be surprising if it were twice. They're a good team.

San Antonio is on the schedule this week and we'll have to evaluate some things. We'll talk to the doctors about Maldy and figure out what the best decision is for the team. I'm certain if we left it up to him that he'd be out there this week. But we'll do what's best for our MVP and all of our Stars as we enter this game. Its going to be an emotional affair for sure.

Talon

How bout them Stars!?!

GM Dougie

Beautiful and shining.

Ok. Maldy. I know if I ask him directly he'll say he wants to play. We've got San Antonio this week. Would this be a good week just to sit him, make sure he's 100%, and let Vega lead the offense in this game. I know their record but we've always had difficult games with the Knights and they're in a real emotional state. I want what's best for us. Tell me how you feel.

Talon

We need Maldy for the stretch run, I think giving him a week to get to 100% and avoid anymore hits is a great call, especially with Haynes being a heavy hitter for San Antonio.  We don't want him to play and take a shot or two and end up in a Keenan Daley situation where he's getting reinjured every week.

GM Dougie

Ok good. I'm glad we're on the same page. I'll talk to Maldy and break it down for him. Plus I'm sure Vega will be motivated because when he starts he can get paid to win.

----

Ms. Morningstar, Thomas Maldonado please.

----

Thanks for coming in MVP. So I know you pretty well by now and I don't doubt that if the option were left up to you that you'd be ready to go this week. I don't doubt you and your ability for one second. We just can't risk something freak happening and you're THE guy in this league. So coach and I agree that we're letting you heal up this week and giving Vega the opportunity to beat San Antonio.

I wanted to tell you this in person so it wasn't a decision that would be blindsiding in any way. It's your team for years not just days.

Talon

It's just a little elbow pain, come on boss.. I don't want to sit on the bench.

GM Dougie

I know that's how you would react. You're highly intelligent.  At the end of the day you and I both know it's the right decision. I hope you can respect that.

Talon

Yeah, I can respect it.  Obviously I don't like it, but I understand you're looking out for me.

GM Dougie

I appreciate that. And I appreciate you. That fire is what makes you a winner.

Thanks for coming in.

----

Ms. Morningstar, Vega Del Rio please.

----

Vega, we're starting you this week to let Maldy get some rest. Big game on the road against San Antonio but also, big for you because its extra in your pocket if you win. How are you feeling?

Talon

If it was not for my bond with Maldy and the Stars fan base, I would be starting every week for Mexico and chasing a World Cup, so I am ready to start this game and bring another win for Star Nation.

GM Dougie

We wanted you to stay here and I'm thankful you and Maldy have grown together so well. Our fans are thrilled that you long to be a Star. I'm excited to see you go out and win this week! Thank you!

----

I've got one more for you Ms. Morningstar, get me Ronwen Modiba

----

BIG Game last week! Congrats on being defensive player of the week! You had the BIGGEST game on the road against the BIGGEST opponent! Incredible.

Talon

I have loved how Coach Hunter is using me in the system.  I feel like this will be a career year for me.

GM Dougie

I knew that there would be some adjustments for a lot of players switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3. I'm glad to see you are thriving! Thanks again for coming in!

----

Ok coach. So I think we're all set. Start Vega Del Rio this week. I'll leave it up to you if Maldy should be QB2 or QB3 just for this week. Hopefully Vega has no injuries plays the whole game and that Maldy gets to heal up fully. Go get that big San Antonio win!

Lock In

GM Dougie

How about Vega Del Rio?

In a league where injury can strike at any time, it absolutely matters to have depth at key positions. We knew this was a winnable game and it was the right call to make sure Maldy was right for the long term. And we know Vega is capable of winning games for this team. That said, the game script didn't go the way we wanted it to go and we gave up a lot of points. San Antonio is such a tough out and its an emotional roller coaster over there right now. We knew we'd get their absolute best shot this week and we were behind all game until Upton punched one through in the 4th. That was a tough game and it showed to the very end. It was delightful to see a touchdown at the end so we didn't have to try and stop them with seconds left.

So right now we're where we need to be...sitting atop the conference with Winnipeg. But we're giving up a lot of points and that has to find a way to get cleaned up. I think our running game is coming along we just couldn't showcase it much this past week and hopefully at home against Long Beach we won't let the script get away from us. They're leading a tested division with a lot of good teams and I'm certain it'll be a challenge but we're up for it.

Kudos to all the guys for buying into the gameplan this week and we've got a good week of preparation for Long Beach and its nice to see no one on the injury report at such a pivotal time of the season. Puts us at a great advantage to hopefully get another W.

Talon

Once again, the Stars shine bright. Time to outshine Long Beach this week.

GM Dougie

That was huge. Big big win and looking good.

How do we match up against Long Beach?