CLEVELAND MUSTANGS [GM DOUG]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 10:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talon

That's correct. Minus whatever bonus you give me for being such an amazing staffer at the end of the year!

GM Wayne

"No spoilers, Brenda. But I hear you. Since you're such an amazing staffer could you do that thing where you get Steve Rosenhaus on the line better than anyone else in the league could ever dream of doing? Thanks."

Wayne waits for the call to connect.

"Steve, brother, help me out with these incentives for Andres. Can we just immediately bump his contract up to 12 million for this season and the remaining 2 years and get rid of these incentives?"

Talon

Whoa Whoa.. You want me to just give away $2MM in bonuses that Andres is about to earn?   That's not going to happen, Baby!

The $2MM in incentives is due in the off-season from your off-season bonus fund and obviously if he hits both he gets a $2MM salary increase.   You're only offering us $2MM, cutting the money in half, I just don't see the upside here.

GM Wayne

"Nah, I wouldn't ask him to sacrifice money just because. To be honest I misunderstood the nature of the incentives. I was under the impression that the incentives were going to need to be paid out immediately, rather than in the off season.

Just so that we're clear, the salary increase would happen the moment he achieves both benchmarks but the additional bonus doesn't get paid until the off season? If that's accurate, then I'm good with the contract for the time being and will get back with you in the offseason once I have a better understanding of what the finances here are going to look like going forward."

Talon

Okay, so I went back and read the contract.  Here is what it is.

$1MM for the 1000 yards receiving.  That pays from your off-season bonus during the off-season.
$1MM for 70+ catches.  That pays from your off-season bonus during the off-season.

If we hit both then our base salary goes up to 12MM for the next two years of the contract, with the same incentives applying.  Basically he can continue to raise his base salary for the future years by hitting both incentives, while being paid bonus money in the off-season for each incentive.

So nothing we have in the fire effects your current budget.

GM Wayne

"Thanks for clarifying. I'm still not a fan of incentives in contracts but as long as it's not going to cause me a headache in the middle of us trying to push for the playoffs then I'm content to leave it as is.

Lets chat again in the off season and figure out something that works for all parties that gets rid of the incentives and provides him with financial security in return. Have a good one, Steve."

Wayne ends the call

"Alright, Brenda, lets get this info to coach and focus on adding another win."

Set defensive counter attack strategy to attack the run game

Lock In

GM Wayne

"I am a happy GM Wayne today. We're finding our form as we make our push for the playoffs and I thought that showed strongly against a Dallas team that has really given a lot of other teams fits this year. Their record doesn't reflect how tough a team they truly are. I can't say enough about Kansas Black. He's a dynamic playmaker that, fully matured, is going to be the sort of nightmare to deal with that I know Justin Fields is for other teams. Even now he's a difficult player to contain and outside of one big run we kept him in check. Beyond their QB our defense completely shut their running game down and I think is a testament to how good we can be."

"Is there added pressure knowing that a win and losses by two of your divisional rivals will see you clinch the division?"

"I'm not really concerned with what the other teams in the division are doing at this point. We're in control with a two game lead with three to play. If we take care of our business then another division championship banner is going to be raised in Cleveland."

"The potential is still there for you to have the best record in the conference if the DC Cobras stumble down the stretch. If clinching the division doesn't add pressure, does the opportunity to earn a bye week?"

"Again, I'm not really concerned with what other teams are doing. We want to take care of our business and let the chips fall as they will."

"Many have argued that the Western Conference is the superior conference this season as it is home to the likes of the defending Impact Bowl champion Las Vegas team, Winnipeg with their historic defense, and a Tucson team that is elite in their own right. Do you feel like this is an opportunity for you to shift the narrative?"

"Again, I don't know how many times I can say I'm not really concerned with what other teams are doing, or what the other conference is doing. But I will say this.. a few years back the St. Paul Lynx went 15-1 and every was ready to hand them the trophy before the playoffs even began and then they lost to a team that didn't even break even during the regular season so I think labeling anything like that is a little silly.

With Tucson coming to town, though, we do see it as an opportunity to show that we are the superior team. But I don't want to say that like it's an easy task. The team that Doug has built there has been top tier for a while now. Their defense is solid. They've got a tremendous quarterback in Thomas Maldanado. Kid seems to have a clutch gene that few others have. If the game is close late the last thing we want is for him to have the ball last.

They've earned the right to be taken seriously and we'll do just that.

That's all from me, guys. See you next week."

Wayne returns to his office.

"We've got the big MO, Coach. Lets use it to roll right over the Stars."

Talon

Tucson just knocked off the defending champs. Lets show them where they really stand in the league's pecking order, yeah?

GM Wayne

"Fucking right. But before we lock in I did have a question about Maxley. When he was out for a bit I had Miller set as the primary CB2 backup so that we made sure he was the one filling in. But I noticed when Max came off the injury report he hasn't been getting on the field, at least from looking at the box score.

Did something get mixed up with our charts or did the staff just decide to roll with Miller since he's been playing so well?"

Talon

Even though he keeps coming off of the injury report, Maxley had been dealing with some nagging pains, so we didn't ask him to do much.  Miller has filled in well when needed so it helped.  He should be a full go this week though.

GM Wayne

"Let's fucking go then, Coach. Good luck this week."

Set defensive counter attack strategy to Coordinator Choice

Lock In

Talon

TWO WEEKS REMAIN.  FEEL FREE TO LOCK IN FOR BOTH WEEKS, IF YOU WANT TO

GM Wayne

"A lot of narratives being rewritten about this team again. Earlier in the season I think a lot of people, when things weren't clicking for us on offense, were writing us off like our time at the top of the North East was at its end. Then, when we started to build that momentum, the narrative became well they're a pretty good team but you saw how they played against Las Vegas, they aren't good enough to beat anyone who matters in the west.

But where are all of those little birds chirping at now? All that noise got real quiet when the Lynx and the Fury turned into pumpkins well before midnight. We didn't just beat Tucson. We whooped Tucson and if we can do it to them, then there's not a team in the league we're not capable of beating. Doesn't matter who. Even Winnipeg. Everyone else might be afraid of them. We're not and hopefully we'll see them in the Impact Bowl. A lot of work to go between now and then, though.

No questions this week. Have a good one."

"Another division championship banner to be commemorated. Now the work really begins.

Don't really have much to discuss this week, Coach. You guys are killing it right now. So all I can say is keep it up. Keep pushing. I'm perfectly fine with locking in for the final two weeks of the season just to streamline things a bit, but what I do want to do is if the #1 seed ends up being out of reach after this week, to let our backups play in the final game against Milwaukee. But only if the 1 seed is out of reach."

Talon

We can make that happen, or we can take it week by week.  Either way is fine with me.  Lets bloody finish this season with all the momentum.

GM Wayne

"Fuck it, we'll take it week by week then.

Lets fucking roll."

Lock In

GM Wayne

"We've got a few decisions to make but it felt nice to officially put a nail in the playoff hopes and dreams of the Lynx. I know the old man's been taking a nap more often than not, but it will always bring me joy to beat that team. Unfortunate that it will be another season before we get to son them again.

Anyhow, speaking of decisions to make I'm not sure about what the possibility of getting to the 1 seed is but if there's even a remote chance we're going to play our starters. If not, then we'll let some of our depth pieces rotate in and show they deserve a chance to fight for more playing time in the future.

Once things sort themselves out this week I'll be able to comment more about the playoff picture but right now we're happy we're going to host another home game for our fans."

If no questions Wayne returns to his office.

"Coach, what are your thoughts regarding this final game? Play everyone?"

Talon

I say we do.   The remote chance of a first round bye is worth it.

GM Wayne

"Lets fucking roll then."

Lock In

Talon

PLAYOFF PRESS CONFERENCE -- TALK ABOUT THE END OF THE SEASON, YOUR PLACE IN THE PLAYOFFS, AND HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR CHANCES TO MAKE A RUN AT THE IMPACT BOWL

GM Wayne

"It has been a grueling season but we've finally reached the point where we're playing for keeps. I don't think there's a team with more momentum in the East than we've got right now. It has been a long trek to get here, though. The first half of the season it felt like we really struggled to play a complete football game. Thankfully we found the tweaks that helped our offense flow a little more efficiently which in turn took a bit of pressure off of our defense. You all can see the end result. Third straight division championship and the only team representing the North East in the playoffs this year. Hopefully we feel a bit of responsibility to carry the banner of our division."

"Some have called GM Pancho of the Nighthawks a bit of a mentor for you. How does it feel to be going up against him in the opening round of the playoffs knowing that a loss could lead to significant front office changes heading into the off season?"

"I think to some degree Pancho and I are just a lot alike. We love the competition of it all. I don't know if that makes him a mentor of mine or not but if it does there are worse people to learn from. But I'll tell you that playing the Alabama Nighthawks in a playoff game feels right. They've got the pedigree. They've got the rings. They know what it takes and all of that? That's who we want to be. I've heard it said that to be the man you've got to beat the man and if we want to be the man, we're going to have to go through the guy who has been it more than anyone else in this league. Wouldn't have it any other way."

"But again, what about the potential for front office changes?"

"We're not concerned about that right now. We're concerned about the Alabama Nighthawks. In case you haven't noticed, they're a pretty talented team with future hall of famers on their roster. To give my attention to anything else other than that would be a disservice to this team."

"Were you screwed out of a bye week and the number one seed?"

"No. DC beat us straight up earlier this season. That tiebreaker is the one that should trump anything else beyond just the two teams final record in the standings. The Cobras earned that rest but we're quite alright with getting to host a home playoff game right off the bat."

"What do you think your chances are of making the Impact Bowl?"

"We've got as good a chance as anyone else."

"Even with a head coach who has struggled to win in the playoffs?"

"I'm focused on the right here, right now and in that moment there is no better leader of men than Jason Blitzer."

Talon

Right, its high time we got this bloody monkey of our backs.  It won't be easy against Alabama, but it will also be us proving its no fluke when we win.

GM Wayne

"I'll take our best against anyone else in the league but I couldn't ask for a more respected opponent than the Nighthawks.

The one thing I regret from last years playoffs is that I didn't talk to the guys before we welcomed the Lynx to our house. I don't want to make that mistake again. When you're ready, if you've got nothing to go over, will you gather the team? Thanks, Coach."

Talon

Absolutely.   They're all together now, so whenever you're ready.

GM Wayne

"Thanks Coach."

Wayne heads to meet with the team.

"You know, they say the third time is the charm. For me, this is my third time that I'll have the privilege of watching the Cleveland Mustangs take the field, at home, in the playoffs. The first two... there's enough guys in this locker room left from those teams that remember what it felt like when those games were over. We remember watching the two teams who beat us take that momentum all the way to the Impact Bowl and we had to sit at home thinking man, that could be us. That should be us.

I don't know about you all but I'm not ready to be done yet. I'm not ready to be having exit interviews. I'm not ready to be talking to Cyrus or the Big Guy. I'm not ready for any of that but what I am ready for, is to watch you guys go out onto that field and take that fight, that tenacity, everything you've poured into that 7 game winning streak that got us here and kick it up a notch to get us into the next round, against the next team, where things will be even more intense.

All I ask is that you leave everything out there on the field. However long it takes give all of yourselves, for yourselves. Look to your left and right. See your brothers? Give all of yourself for them. Listen to the roar of the fans as you take the field, and give everything you've got in the tank for them.

And hell.. look to the sidelines. See that beautiful bald shimmering head of the fucking greatest to ever do it on the sidelines. Listen as he coaches you up. Get fired up when he encourages you. Leave everything out there on the field.. for him...

And go out and win this one for the Blitzer."

Lock in

Talon

HANDLE BUSINESS

GM Wayne

"Good win. All the respect in the world to GM Pancho and the Nighthawks. Jamie Ortega and Bruce Wilkinson especially are nightmares to deal with. But what a comeback to get the fans in Cleveland their first ever playoff victory.

We've got business to handle. And ladies and gents? I guarantee a win in this one. We'll see you all in the Eastern Conference Finals."

"Lets fucking go Coach. God it felt so good to see Max run off the field and hand that ball to you."

Talon

More importantly, it's what he said when he handed it to me.   He said "We're not done."   ...and that's the bloody truth!

GM Wayne

"You're goddamn right we're not. The whole league is gonna be putting the respect on your name that it should have had the whole fucking time. LETS GO!"

Talon

I'm sure even in the upper offices there were doubts, so I'm determined to continue to erase them.  Defense has its work cutout for them, but our secondary has stepped up at the right times.

GM Wayne

"We'll be fine. I'll leave it in your hands to get the guys ready this week.

Game on. Let's fucking go."

Lock In

Talon

CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME - HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS.

GM Wayne

"There's been a lot of talk about teams having magic, about destiny and about the Impact Bowl already being wrapped up with a little bow on it for one team in particular.

But fuck that, destiny isn't fated in the stars it's earned on that football field and we're not fucking done yet."

Talon

win by win more people realize that we are the real bloody deal.  Respect to the Dragons for their strong run, but it ends today.  We are tougher and we want it more.

GM Wayne

"When it's all said and done someone's going to have to tell me what the hell happened to Benjamin Coon. But that can wait until we've etched our names in gold.

LETS FUCKING GO!"

Lock In

Talon

TALK ABOUT WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE PLAYING IN THE IMPACT BOWL IN MIAMI.   

GM Wayne

"The typical comments that are made in press conferences like this see GM's talking about what an honor and a privilege it is to be able to play in this game. What effort and resilience and dedication the team has shown. But all I really feel right now was expressed by Daniel Maxley during the wild card round when he made the game sealing interception. We're not done yet. There's still at least sixty minutes of football left to play.

I feel glad that it's Winnipeg we're playing. All respect to Tucson but we've all heard how historically great Winnipeg is all season long. If we're going to be the Impact Bowl champions I want the team that has been the consensus best all season long. That's the kind of competitor I am. That's the kind of competitors our staff and our players are. When we raise that Impact Bowl championship up in the air I don't want there to be any naysayers talking about how we didn't really play the best the West had to offer.

We've got enough naysayers as is, and we're going to let them know.

That's how I feel right now. Like there's still work to be done and work we're going to finish."

Talon

To be the man, you've got to beat the man, yeah?   Well, this is our chance.

GM Wayne

"We're here, so we might as well.

I don't think I need to ask about Winnipeg and what they do well. So instead I'll ask if there's anything you want to adjust going into this game. We went after the run against the Mariachis. Should we counter attack the pass with Winnipeg?"

Talon

Absolutely. I think defensively we keep the pressure as it is, but I'm going to make some small shifts to our final two minute strategies, I don't want us to play too timid or too aggressive just becuase its almost halftime or whatever the situation.   This is a game where every bloody play can decide who raises a banner and who wonders what if.

No room for error.   We have to protect the football.

GM Wayne

"Alright, well I think it's that time that we talk with the guys. I'm headed down to talk to them... if you'd get them ready."

Wayne waits for a minute after Coach leaves before heading down to talk with the team one last time this season. Once everyone has settled he begins.

"Scarlet and gray. Orange and brown. These colors are the standard that represents who the Cleveland Mustangs are, and where we're from. I know not all of you were born and raised here but this city, and this state, it's my blood. I've spent my whole life hearing people crack jokes about Ohio, and about Cleveland especially. They look down their noses. They point and laugh. This city has been used as a whipping post for so many others who don't want to look at their own flaws and failures and shortcomings. When I took this job years ago now, I took it with the determination to change the identity of the Cleveland Mustangs. The Eli's of the world who never really liked it here anyway and were looking for the first opportunity out, the Franchise's of the world who only wanted to turn this place into a circus. I was fucking tired of it.

A lot of you guys have been a part of the journey from what this organization was, to what it has become today. Some of you have come back, and I'm sure you remember what things were like before. But that's not who the fuck we are anymore.

We're not the pushovers. We're not the punchline.

We stand on the precipice of something great. The state. The city. The team that never gets the credit it deserves has the opportunity to claim for themselves what everyone is already handing to Winnipeg.

You have the opportunity to rip that championship away and show the world that the fate they so longed for is NOT the one we chose for ourselves.

The world has believed from the moment that Winnipeg beat Tucson that this Impact Bowl was already done and over with. But they thought the same thing with a few minutes left against Alabama just a couple of weeks ago. They thought the same thing when we were down 10 to Cancun. Hell, they thought the same thing when James Edwards was lining up to kick the go ahead field goal late against New Jersey.

They've been saying we're done since we got here. Credit where it's due, Max coined our mantra after picking Jamie Ortega of. We're not fucking done yet.

We weren't done against Alabama. We weren't done against Cancun. We weren't done against New Jersey and you know what?

We're not fucking done with Winnipeg yet either.

Lets get it boys. LETS FUCKING GO! MUSTANGS ON THREE!"

GM Wayne raises his fist high and steps toward the assembled team.

Set defensive counter attack to PASS. Adjust two minute situational strategies as Coach Blitzer sees fit.

LOCK IN FOR THE IMPACT BOWL.

Talon

WE JOIN JASON BLITZER MID-PRESS CONFERENCE

Your bloody right it was a fucking turning point, no need to be daft.  We had them on the ropes.  The Pick Six from Woodrow Britt gave us a spark of momentum, we force back to back three and outs after that, and then we go from it looking like Justin is going to put us in the lead but a well placed punch of the all from Bukar, and you have to give him credit because it was a brilliant bloody effort, but then the ball is on the turf and Clancy scoops it up and returns it 26 yards to flip the field and the momentum.   Turnovers can be a killer, and tonight that was proven to be true.

Justin is a dynamic player and we ask him to do a lot of things, he knows that protecting the football is the number one priority, so I don't think he was being careless, it's just what happens with his style of play.   I feel bloody awful for that kid.  I know what it's like to be criticized after a big loss. He's got to bloke out that noise and work his ass off to silence the doubters next season.

This is not the last you've heard from the Mustangs, I'll do everything in my power to be sure of that.

GM WAYNE NOW TAKES THE PODIUM.    ADDRESS THE MEDIA AND TALK ABOUT REACHING THE IMPACT BOWL AND FALLING SHORT ALONG WITH HOW YOU PLAN TO BRING THE TEAM BACK NEXT SEASON

GM Wayne

"Before I dive into anything I just wanted to thank Charles Clancy, Patrick Owen and Larry Wright. I heard a bit of each of their press conferences before I made my way here and they were all a lot more classy than I probably would have been if the final score was flip flopped. I wanted to thank the city of Miami being such gracious hosts. In spite of the loss this has been the most enjoyable week of my life. To see the guys get the media and fan recognition they deserve, and to see Coach Blitzer finally get the respect he deserves.. for me that makes this season a success even though it ended on such a sour note."

"Up until now the fact that Jason Blitzer was on the final year of his contract has been given little attention but after his remarks about next season, seemingly implying that he will continue in his position of head coach, can you confirm your intent to re sign him?

"Coach Blitzer was here before me and he'll be here after me if he so wants. That will always be my stance. So if I'm here next season, then I want Coach Blitzer back as well."

"If you're here?"

"Yeah, I mean I've got to take responsibility for our defeat. You know, the GM's were given a little more freedom to provide input at key moments and early on in the game I made the call for us to go for it on 4th and 1 right around midfield. It didn't work out. But that was my call and as a result Winnipeg seized momentum and scored pretty quickly after that. All the credit to the guys on this team, and the coaching staff, for not letting my input derail them. But if anyone is taking blame for this loss it's me.

And it's my opinion that if you are responsible for costing your team an Impact Bowl you should be held accountable. I'll have a conversation with the Big Guy soon I'm sure and we'll see what he has to say and how things play out. I love this city. I love this team. I'll always do what I think is best to protect this team, even if that means I have to get out of these guys way and let someone else do the job."

"Well then IF you're here, how do you plan on making sure the Mustangs get back to the Impact Bowl again next season?"

"We've just got to keep as much of the core together as possible. Matthew Albrecht and Victor Hinkle are both on contract years. We'd love to have them back but we'll see how things play out on that front. I think there are areas we can improve on offense. Whether that occurs through training or through bringing in top free agent I'm not sure. Those are things that will get worked out through the course of the off season."

"What's the most memorable part of this season for you?"

"Seeing Coach Blitzer get the recognition he deserves. Bringing Cleveland three home playoff victories when they had never gotten to experience any sort of Mustangs playoff victory. Seeing a guy like Bruiser Elliot, who had unfairly gotten such a bad rap with his previous teams, come to Cleveland and continue to thrive and be such a key element of our defense and show that not only is he talented on the field, but he isn't what certain people tried to paint him as. Seeing Woodrow step into the CB1 role and play so well. Seeing Maxley show such incredible leadership. Getting Andres Henry back in a Mustangs jersey and seeing him get to enjoy the playoff wins with our fans.

There's so many memorable parts of the season that I couldn't choose just one. I'm so proud of our guys. Proud that they proved that it wasn't a fluke that we got here, but that we belonged and that we can hang with the guys that everyone said was such a historically great team.

They are. But we're right there too."

"I noticed you left Justin Fields name off the list of players you mentioned just now..."

"I didn't think that needed to be addressed again after Coach Blitzer's comments. But since you're all apparently looking to tear him down I guess I have to. So let me just be clear and put this to bed now. We would not have been in the Impact Bowl if it weren't for Justin Fields. We wouldn't have been as competitive as we were against Winnipeg if it weren't for Justin Fields. Yeah, he fumbled. It happens. The kid from Winnipeg made one hell of a play to knock that ball out and then Clancy was just in the right place to scoop it and make a game changing play. I just think it's funny because if we go on to win that game, nobody is questioning Patrick Owen for throwing the pick six to Woodrow. It would have been acknowledged as a great player making a great play in a big moment.

But for whatever reason people just want to be critical of Justin. So I'll say it again, without Justin Fields our season looks completely different and I'll die on that hill if I have to. The only person that should be getting any of the blame is me. Period. End of story.

If that's it, I'd like to go be with my guys now."

Talon

YOU RETURN TO YOUR OFFICE AND ONE BY ONE EACH OF YOUR PLAYERS ENTER AND THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORABLE SEASON SHOWING THE ULTIMATE SIGN OF RESPECT.  THE LAST IN AND OUT IS JUSTIN FIELDS WHO THANKS YOU FOR HAVING HIS BACK ALL YEAR LONG.   AFTER HE DEPARTS, COACH BLITZER ENTERS.

You know, everyone tells me "savor it, not everyone makes it this far." and one day I might look back and be happy we made it, but right now I just want to wash this taste out of my mouth and bash some bloody skulls.

We didn't come this far to settle for second best, but it seems like there are a lot of questions around the future of the franchise.

...What are you thinking about?   Talk to me, yeah?

GM Wayne

"What I'm thinking?

It's funny because you'd think after making the Impact Bowl I'd be thinking for fucks sake I can't wait for us to get back here but after I fucked up that 4th down call and gave Winnipeg momentum they didn't have before that moment, and then they went on to win, all I've been thinking is that maybe to get beyond 2nd best the squad needs to leave me behind. I got asked by the media how I plan on making sure the Mustangs get back here next season and I gave some bullshit word salad answer.

I don't know what to fix and I'd rather die than 'move on' from any of the guys who just gave everything they had for this team man.

I'm just gutted to sit here feeling like I cost us this game. Yall deserved better in the biggest moment."

Talon

I got that sense from what you had to say to the press, I'd tell you not to beat yourself up, but I know its a pointless statement.   These decisions live with us.  I've got a bloody laundry list of my own.

I guess it comes down to taking some time to think about what you want to do..

Whatever your decision, you've got my respect.

GM Wayne

"So I've told you where my head is at. What about yours? I know you don't go down without a fight but once we turn the lights out on Season 17 you're technically a free agent. What are you thinking?"

Talon

I will coach in Cleveland as long as I am wanted or until I do not want to coach anymore,  as long as the contract is fair I don't see a reason to leave.

GM Wayne

"You tell me what you're looking for and I'll make sure the last thing this organization does this season is lock in your future here."

Talon

Lets talk about it once the off-season begins.  Need a minute to take it all in, you know?

GM Wayne

"Let's go home then.

Impact Bowl Champion would have been an awesome thing to add to the resume. But you know, Eastern Conference Champion isn't a terrible consolation."

Lock In