TUCSON STARS [GM PANCHO]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Dougie

We can win.

We can do this!!

Lock In

GM Dougie

1. Talk about the game this week.  What went right and what ultimately went wrong?

That one is going to sting for awhile. We did everything we could to win that game. I truly think it was ours...we just couldn't stop that last drive and didn't have enough time left to drive back down. Props to Winnipeg...they are there for a reason.

2. When you look back on this season, where do you think you missed the move that sends you to the Impact Bowl?

I didn't miss a move. We put all the pieces together. Quality starting players, solid depth, excellent coaching, we had a couple injuries at the end that we worked through...no excuses. We were meant to be there and it just didn't happen.

3. Who was your best player this season?

Arthur Matthews was one of the best and I'll mention it but he wasn't on this team the entire season so the proper answer to that question...I'll give you one on each side...Maldy was clutch all year and proved he's one of the best QBs in the league. And our secondary tandem of Jody and Juan were lights out together as you saw since both made the all star team this year it really says something.

4. Grade the job you did this season as well as that of your coaching staff.

A-. I'd say A but we're not in the Impact Bowl.

5. What is next for you and this club?

Some of our very important players have control over their fates. I'm here for the long haul and we've got some key pieces locked in. We're going to work hard to do what it takes to be back here next year and finish the job.

Talon

Close... so damn close.

Talon

Hi GM Doug and welcome back,

I currently have us with $57.70MM in available salary cap and $18MM in Bonus funds for S16.  Our bonus may flex depending on how you decide to handle our coaching staff.

I have us with 20 open roster positions at this time. 

I have our s16 draft picks as follows:

1st - TUC
4th - TUC
4th - BAMA
5th - SEA
6th - TOT
7th - TUC

We have all of our own draft picks for S17; and all of our own picks for S18.

We currently own $4.25MM in tax which can be paid from our off-season bonus money or our S16 bonus budget.

Our available off-season bonus money currently is: $5.75MM ($5MM from your GM Contract + $1.75MM from your S15 budget rollover - $1MM off-season fine for trading bonus money during the season).

I have our off-season team sheet copy here. Feel free to edit/use it if you would like.  If you have questions or disagree with my notes please let me know and we will get to the bottom of it!

GM Dougie

Alright let's get to work.

Coach Knight, let's begin with staff. Do you want to keep the band together?

Talon

I do; the question is do we want to hold the line or spend an extra million on each side of the ball to boost our lower staff up to a higher level, brother.

GM Dougie

I like that option. Because there will come a point where we'll need to get the best out of our players, I am all for doing $1MM on each side of the ball as well as keeping Stark and LeBlanc on the staff.

I'll file the appropriate paperwork with the league office on that. Is there anything else we discuss right out the gates here?

Talon

No.  Our next bit of business will be contract options, and then we will get a chance to offer our restricted free agents.. So we're just waiting.

GM Dougie

Ms. Morningstar, Eli Harris please.

----

Good day Eli. I want to talk about RFA Michael Clark. We drafted him thinking about the future at the center position. And we've committed training to him in the past and will continue to do so. I wanted to know if we could do a 2 year $1MM per season contract with a 3rd year team option for $3MM.

Talon

We'll accept that deal; good working with you.

GM Dougie

Thanks!

----

I think that's all we'll be doing with our restricted free agents. Now to investigate some of our infernal UFA options

Talon

Hi there! I have us with 38.95MM in salary and $11.9MM in bonus heading into UFA.

GM Dougie

GM Dougie

Actually, I have one think I need to reach out about. Then we should be good.

GM Dougie

The league office does such a fantastic job reaching out and making sure all our things are correct. My inquires have been resolved and we are OFFICIALLY good to go.

GM Dougie

Ms. Morningstar, can you get me the agent for Raymond Fort please?

----

We wanted to check in on the offer we made to Raymond for a UDFA contract for 1 year $350K. We are hoping Raymond would be excited to be a Star!

Talon

GM Dougie

Excellent. Thank you.

----

Ms. Morningstar, can you get me the agent for Willard Garza please?

----

We wanted to check in on the offer we made to Willard for a UDFA contract for 1 year $350K. We are hoping he would be an excellent addition to the Stars in our WR room.

Talon

GM Dougie

Excellent thank you.

----

Ms. Morningstar, can you get me the agent for Danilo Thompson please?

----

We're looking to add a TE to our room and Danilo is a tall physical guy that would fit. We'd like to sign him to the UDFA contract for 1 year $350K to become a star!

Talon

GM Dougie

Thank you kindly.

Ok Ms. Morningstar, we have two roster spots left. Lets get some depth. Can I get the agent for Rusty Stubblefield please?

----

We're looking for depth at linebacker with an eye for special teams as well. Rusty would be a great fit. We'd like to offer the one year UDFA contract for $350K. Deal?

Talon

Mr. Stubblefield signed in Vegas.  Unfortunately.

GM Dougie

My mistake. Nothing was filed with the league office at the time I asked.

How about we get the agent for Guadalupe Pena

----

We're looking to sign Guadalupe for depth at linebacker at the 1 year UDFA $350K contract. Would he like to become a star?

Talon

GM Dougie

Excellent! Thank you so much.

One spot left. Ms. Morningstar, please get me Scott Forrest.

----

Mr. Forrest, I won't take much of your time as not only are you a busy agent but also a hot commodity as a HIFL player. We need another defensive end in our room and Duane Gore is a proven veteran. We can only offer 1 year for $750K but he'd be joining a team built to win and would certainly earn rotational snaps behind Arthur and Layton so there's room for playing time which some teams can't offer. Would Duane like to chase a title with the Stars?

Talon

GM Dougie

Excellent!

----

Ms. Morningstar, I believe we have a full roster and have $1MM left in cap space with $6.9MM in bonus but I would love to verify these things with you. If your figures match mine then we can begin our next steps.

Talon

Now that we have huddled, we are on the same page with $2MM in cap space!

GM Dougie

MINI-CAMP ASSIGNMENTS

OFFENSE:
1.Ashley Guthrie – Pass Blocking
2.William Rousseau – Run Blocking
3.Raymond Hyde - Agility
4.Steven Dunlap - Conditioning

DEFENSE:
1.Joseph Phillips - Strength
2.Ronwen Modiba - IQ
3.Miquel Reed - IQ
4.Aristotle Vasilakos - Conditioning

STRATEGY

OFFENSE
Attitude: Aggressive
Focus: Coaches Decision
Tempo: Fast
Passing Focus: Coaches Decision
Pass To: Coaches Decision
Primary Receiver: Daniel Randolph
Third Down Back: None
Goal Line Back: None
Running Focus: Coaches Decision
Running Backs Role: Balanced
Backfield by Committee?: Coaches Decision
Tight End Focus: Mixed
QB Tuck and Run: Rare

DEFENSE
Attitude: Aggressive
Focus: Balanced
Primary Coverage: Coaches Decision
D-Line Focus: Pass Rush
Linebacker Focus: Coaches Decision
Player Radio: Darwin Roberge
Match CBs to WRs?: Yes
Align Man Coverage?: Balanced

SUBSTITUTION LOGIC
Point Margin for Backup Package 25
Sub Package Minimum Energy Coaches Decision
Sub Package Maximum Energy Coaches Decision

END OF GAME SCENARIOS
If Winning Run More
If Losing Pass More

COUNTER STRATEGY (vs. offense gives your defense a boost to stop the selected type; vs. defense gives your offense a boost vs. selected defensive strategy)
Coaches Decision? Yes
vs. Offense Coaches Decision
vs. Defense Coaches Decision

OFFENSE MASTER DEPTH CHART

PACKAGE NAME: Base Offense

QB-Thomas Maldonado
QB2-Vega Del Rio
QB3-Armando Berry

RB1-Steven Dunlap
RB2-Troy Upton
RB3-Douglas McCallister

FB-Ricky Muir

TE1-Mohammed Westmoreland
TE2-Robert Foret
TE3-Danilo Thompson

WR1-Daniel Randolph
WR4-Rodolfo Chance

WR2-Jonathan Finch
WR5-Kenneth Langlois

WR3-Raymond Hyde
WR6-Willard Garza

LT-Julio Redd
LT2-Ashley Guthrie

LG-Enrique Smith
LG2-Sean Heckman

C-Delmar Kane
C2-Michael Clark

RG-William Rousseau
RG2-Raymond Fort

RT-Daniel Brown
RT2-Fred Lopez
----
The empty backfield set features the same offensive line along with Randolph, Finch, Hyde, and Chance at receiver with Westmoreland at TE.

The heavy package features Westmoreland and Thompson on the line as Foret will join Muir  in the backfield along with Rodolfo Chance at WR for blocking. Good for QB sneaks, a FB handoff, or a fake to Chance if he's not covered.

DEFENSE MASTER DEPTH CHART

PACKAGE NAME: Base 3-4 Defense

DT1-Luis Peacock
DT2-Joseph Phillips
DT3-Glen Cooney

RE1-Scott Layton
RE2-Richard Duncan

LE1-Arthur Matthews
LE2-Duane Gore

MLB1-Darwin Roberge
MLB3-Billy Zepeda (can back up either Roberge or Bailey)
MLB2-Edward Bailey

ROLB1-Donald Sapp
ROLB2-Guadalupe Pena

LOLB1-Aristotle Vasilakos
LOLB2-Guadalupe Pena

CB1-Jody Smith
CB4-William Rice

CB2-Juan Kirk
CB5-Glenn Parra

CB3-Miquel Reed
CB6-Ruben Robb

FS1-Harry Abel
FS2-Melvin Williams
FS3-Robert Weddle

SS1-Ronwen Modiba
SS2-Will Myers
SS3-Terry Johnston
----
In goal line situations, both Peacock and Phillips help create a 4 man front with 4 LBs and 3 in the secondary.

Big Nickel Defense is a 3-3-5 set. Front 3 stay the same. 3 LBs instead of 4 replacing Sapp with a 3rd safety either Melvin Williams or Robert Weddle coaches discretion.

Dime Rush Package is back! 3 DEs Matthews, Layton, and Donald Sapp moves from LB onto the line with Peacock. Roberge is the lone LB, 6 DBs on the field for coverage with 3 CBs and 3 Safeties.

SPECIAL TEAMS MASTER DEPTH CHART

K-Jorge D'Angelo
P-John Daniel

KR1-Steven Dunlap
KR2-William Rice
KR3-Miquel Reed
KR4-Troy Upton

PR1-Steven Dunlap
PR2-William Rice

PLAY CALLING

OFFENSE RUN/PASS RATIO

Play Caller: Offensive Coordinator
Coaches Decisions

DEFENSE BLITZ RATIO

Play Caller: Defensive Coordinator
Coaches Decisions

MUSICAL LICENSES

1. Miracle (A Day To Remember) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cb872pCbMs
The heavy rifts of the chorus kick in throughout the stadium as the Stars burst out of the tunnel to the words, "But I'm betting on the right here right now. To hell with all the some day some how. I've waited long enough waited long enough. Don't need a miracle". The chorus repeats as all the players are on the field hyping the fans up for the game.

2. 21 Bullets (The Retaliators) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsNLSVlpVA0
Only the chorus of this song is used. This can play either right after a big sack, a big stop, a turnover, any pivotal moment that turns the game in favor of the Stars. It's a ballad of revenge reminding those who didn't believe in the team that they're out for revenge.

COIN TOSS PREFERENCE

Tails
Defer

GM Dougie

Talon

Time to shine with the Stars!

GM Dougie

Alright coach!

First and foremost kudos to you for putting together a fantastic staff. Losing LeBlanc might have been difficult but I feel good about everything we have in coaching on both sides. Love how McReynolds and Worthington wanted to stay on and continue their post-playing careers as stars.

The first thing I want to ask is about positions. Based on the initial depth chart I gave, do you suggest any adjustments? Most positions look set but there's a couple spots where the ratings are similar but we all know what ratings are. It's all about what you see in front of you that matters.

Talon

I'll take a closer look, but in the meantime, just know our team sheet does list players highest to lowest rating in order within their position group, so if you see three guys with 3-stars, we still stack them highest to lowest rating from the scouting department.

GM Dougie

That's really good information to have. Based on the ratings that would have Finch as the #1 receiver but he traditionally stretches the field more. We've been developing Finch for a couple years now and he really flourished last season. Do you think he's ready to be the primary target or would Randolph be better served there?

Talon

I view them as 1A 1B right now, two guys with 90+ catches, 1000+ yards... we have two elite possession guys who can haul in anything thrown their way.  I think having them outside in the formations gives us two primary targets and that is great.

GM Dougie

Excellent. It really opens up a lot over the middle of the field as well.

Last two questions about offense. How close is Troy Upton to Dunlap? Steve's been a great runner for us the last two years. Really happy with Upton's camp and if they're better as a 50/50, it might help Steve break off a return or two this year with the extra energy.

Raymond Fort. Undrafted Guard at the start of camp. Ceiling as a starter? If he's worth it, I'd want to make sure we keep him beyond the UDFA contract. We're not as deep at guard as we were last year obviously.

Talon

Troy is a more physical runner, similar speed but more strength.  Definitely needs to be in a time share, but he could definitely offer some decent relief for Dunlap to help us keep him fresh.  He was a solid get in the 4th round.

Fort is a solid player, a steal as a UDFA, but with our roster he is going to be better suited as a high-value back up or utility lineman if we cross train him rather than look at him as a starter.

GM Dougie

On defense, tell me about Joseph Phillips progression. We did extend Luis for another season. I was hoping for more at that position because he has missed some games.

Also, I made a big purchase getting Aristotle from Greece. What's his ceiling. Is be better as one of the interior linebackers or outside in your eyes? Is there room for growth?

Talon

After watching Phillips in camp, I think he has a lower ceiling than expected initially.  His work ethic just isn't there.  He's an ok DT2 but I dont see him ever catching up to what we get from Luis.

As for Ari, he's got really good athleticism, just needs to work on his conditioning for HIFL game speed and his IQ since he's a younger guy.   He could pass Sapp now if we wanted as our 3rd best LB thanks to his athletic profile and solid tackling.   Overall with our current corps, I'd slot him as our 2nd inside linebacker but he can play inside or out if we want.

GM Dougie

If we slot him at 2nd inside LB then are we moving Bailey to one of the outside linebacker spots with Sapp on the other side?

I think that's the only lineup change we make if so.

Talon

Yeah, Roberge and Ari inside, with sapp and Bailey outside or we can go with Roberge and Bailey inside with Sapp and Ari outside, your choice I dont really mind either way but Bailey and Roberge are our best tacklers.

GM Dougie

Lets do that. Move Ari to the inside and Bailey outside. I think they'll both benefit based on what you had to say.

I don't think there's anything else to discuss. Should be time to lock it in and see what we look like to start another great year.

Lock In

Talon

WEEK 1 PRESS QUESTIONS

1. Discuss your performance and result for week 1. What were some sustains, and what were some improvements going into week 2?

2. How big is a 2-minute drill for the win this early in the season, is that something that you but extra stock in, as say compared to a 40 point blow out?

3. Coming out of training camp and now seeing the team in week 1, what should fans expect to see this year from your club?

4. Did any news catch your eye this week?

5. Discuss your next opponent and game.

GM Dougie

1. Discuss your performance and result for week 1. What were some sustains, and what were some improvements going into week 2?

I just want to start this off by giving a hats off to former Tucson Star Jamison Camp. I'd have to look at the film again to see how it happened but I'm sure he loved taking one to the house on his former team. Sydney is an excellent group and we're glad we were able to manage a victory again. I really love how we unleased the passing attack this game. There was a lot of hype about their secondary and not enough about what we look like. Finch, Randolph, and Foret are weapons and Vincent Stark really schemed up some great plays. Maldy made the throws and our guys executed those plays to perfection. Captain clutch came through at the end with a win. As for improvements, well the thing that sticks out the most to me is that we gave up 4 sacks and with Alabama next week coming off a game where they had about 42 million of them, we have to make sure we have the best protections the coaches can draw up. We definitely also want to win the turnover margin every week because its not often you can win a game when you give the ball away more than the other team.

2. How big is a 2-minute drill for the win this early in the season, is that something that you but extra stock in, as say compared to a 40 point blow out?

Blow outs don't happen in this league. Any of these 32 teams can win any given week. One score games or tie games in the final minutes are not a sign of weakness but rather that you can win every game. This group of guys...there's no one I'd rather have more with the ball at the end of a game. The mental toughness that comes with it is immeasurable and doesn't have a price tag.

3. Coming out of training camp and now seeing the team in week 1, what should fans expect to see this year from your club?

A "Star" studded event each and every week. The culture is set and success is expected. We were a few plays from the Impact Bowl last year. They know it and they want it.

4. Did any news catch your eye this week?

The talk of the town has to be the sacks this past week. The fact that we could see 3.5 more sacks per game on average may also impact the turnover margin and player health...both of which are absolutely critical if you want to go on a deep postseason run.

5. Discuss your next opponent and game.

Alabama made it very clear that there's more to fear than Jamie Ortega. Last year they ran the ball down our throats and this year even with Ortega on the shelf, they're showing balance. And the defensive front is a sight to behold. Anyone who thinks they are going to have an easier time with this team while Ortega is out is dead wrong. We're going to have to contain the edge as much as possible and hit our shots like we did against Sydney to win this game...something I fully believe we can do!

Talon

Not a perfect game by any means, but starting 1-0 against a tough conference opponent is all that really matters.

GM Dougie

100% agreed. There's room for improvement but I can't complain about the result.

So you heard me say it already...Alabama and that pass rush. I hope we're better equipped to block and get the ball out to stop that rush. Would it benefit us to dial up some extra runs to get ahead of the rush and keep them honest?

How differently do you view their rushing attack without Ortega? He ate us for dinner last year.

Talon

Watching their tape from last week, their offense doesn't scare me at all, without Ortega they are a one-dimensional simple offense.    Their defense is still a nightmare, but if we can buy enough time for Maldy to throw, I think he could put up 5-600 yards in the air, their secondary is vulnerable.

GM Dougie

If you don't think there's anything that needs to be addressed, I'd say let's unleash on them.

Lock In

GM Dougie

1. What stood out to you about your team this week, any surprise performances good or bad?

The single thing that really stands out is resiliency. We went into Alabama with the thought of our loss to them last season, made mistakes, fell into a 2 score hole early in the first quarter, and then never let them sniff points the rest of the game. Defensively, what really stands out to me was all the pressure. The sack numbers don't show it but they played on their side of the field a lot and we held them back. Our guys really broke through their line and we had a lot of tackles for loss and the safety. Offensively all around was outstanding after the initial errors. Maldy just keeps cutting loose and he really spread the ball around so well to our guys. Randolph and Finch just mesh together and it was really great to see Hyde have an awesome stat line. We ran well, threw well, held well, it was an all around great game and I'm really proud of everyone from the players to the coaches for putting together such a statement road win.

2. Discuss any news that interested you.

One of the great things this week is that the news was all about the games. We saw some impressive scores, some comebacks, but mainly there was no insane stories. You hate to read headlines about teams already looking to trade and teams worried about the playoffs just two weeks into the season. We just do our best to focus on the here and now and try to go 1-0 each week.

3. Talk about your next match up, how do you win this game?

It all starts and ends with Tuilagi. He's had 76 carries in just two games so its clear where the offense runs through. But we learned last season too that this team doesn't commit many mistakes. We make sure we contain the MVP, capitalize when the opportunities arise, and play our game in front of our fans and hopefully end 3-0 when its all said and done.

----

Coach Knight, looking to me like you let Maldy give Alabama the hard passes this week!