TUCSON STARS [GM PANCHO]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM Dougie

Well I'm obviously in a mood but before we talk about the game, I want to correct a report in the media. There's news out there suggesting that we didn't attempt to make a trade for Randall Estates. That is in fact false. We investigated the running back market heavily over the past few weeks. I was in discussions with GM Pancho before he ultimately took another offer. I actually made that exact same offer to GM Josh but he and his people felt it would be smarter football to reject that offer. We'll see how that turns out. Anyways, I do a lot for us to stay out of the news so the focus is on football and our team getting victories. But I'm also a man of my word and so when I see false reporting out there, I will stand up here and tell you the actual truth on the matter.

Speaking of truth, we had it handed to us hard this week. Vancouver came out and dominated our team. We didn't do the best job protecting the quarterback but ultimately our running game fell short. We've done a better job than what the media will tell you but this week it just didn't happen and we quickly had to change the game script being down 20 in the 3rd. Credit to their team though because they're a tough out and hopefully if we run into them again we'll be much better prepared.

On the bright side, we're healthy, and we have an opportunity to go into Kansas City and get things right this week. That's exactly what I expect the team to do.

Talon

...well, that was something.

GM Dougie

Sure wasn't.

But um... what the hell are we walking into this week? They're imploding

Talon

we're walking into a bye week, all we have to worry about this week is being healthy.

GM Dougie

Well I'll entrust it to you to get things right in Kansas City this week. I don't think there's anything needed to be said other than get the W.

Lock In

GM Dougie

Business is business and that's what his week was. Some may not appreciate the media making this out to be a drubbing or messing with a team falling apart. What we did this week was sharpen our Stars and refocus on the task at hand. Regardless of what you might think of a team like Kansas City and the turmoil they're going through, any team can win or lose in the HIFL any given day. That's why we could have suffered defeat if we took our eye off the prize.

Nonetheless, we had a great game in all areas. I'd still like us to keep Maldy upright as much as possible but the line I feel has improved. We spread the ball around, the running game rebounded after last week, and on defense we put their QB under a lot of pressure. The hurries certainly resulted in the turnovers that happened for our side.

So yea...business. And this week's business is Las Vegas. One could argue that the winner of this game wins the division seeing how we're practically deadlocked. I've not lost the memory of last year where this game cost us the division and ended up in that first round matchup with Portland. Every game is important and we certainly will be treating this as such.

Talon

Alright.  Time to seize our destiny.

GM Dougie

Yes sir. Before we talk Vegas, there's a piece of business I want to discuss. I will be back.

----

Ms. Morningstar, Meadow Campanelli please.

----

Good morning Meadow. Thank you for entertaining this meeting once again. Randall Estates has been in the news. I understand he wasn't happy in Portland and I certainly understand wanting a buyout from Kansas City given the circumstances. What you may not be aware of is that a few weeks back, we tried to put together a trade package for Randall but the GM decided he wanted to ultimately keep him on the roster and try to make it work.

So to be completely forward, here's what we cannot offer...a lot of money. My hope is that thanks to the large buyout sum received that it won't matter for the rest of the season but if that is the case, you can certainly decline what I have to say and we'll respectfully be done.

What I can offer...a run at an Impact Bowl. Even though we're not a run first type of team, I think Randall fits perfectly within the type of offense we run. He's an explosive back who can also catch and we've got an MVP at quarterback. Looking to make a big impact immediately? We play Las Vegas this week and Randall could be a key to victory.

We can pay $1MM for the remainder of the season, and I'll tack on a fully guaranteed $7MM + $1MM in BP player option for next season. That way he can still have the freedom to decide what's next in the offseason BUT know that if he likes it here he has a home.

Talon

GM Fresh, Mr. Danzer really tried to "suggest" to me that the buyout money was to make sure Randal didn't feel the urge to play anywhere else this season, but Randal wants to play, so Behr Danzer can suck it.

We'll sign.

GM Dougie

As always, I appreciate you and your efforts with our players and I'm pleased we could come to this agreement. Thank you!

----

Coach come on in. As you might have just discovered, we've added Randall Estates for the season. Is there any adjustments to the way we run our running backs out there that might fit your scheme best? Obviously Estates fits atop our depth chart at the position. Is there anything else that makes sense to do?

Talon

He's an all-around guy, a true all-purpose back so we shouldn't have to change anything.  That's a huge get.

GM Dougie

Given the cap circumstances, it may only be for this season so we need to make the best of it. I'm also hoping Kostas and Troy can pick up a thing or two out of the experience.

So we handled Vegas in their house but they are a healthier team this time around. This is a massive game. I want to speak to the team. Can you get everyone together and let me know when we're set?

Talon

Absolutely.  Come on.

COACH GATHERS THE TEAM AT THE TEAM CONFERENCE ROOM

GM Dougie

Thank you all for being here.

Over the time I've spent in Tucson as your general manager, I've always played this card with the media...that we're an underdog. No one pays attention to us. No one cares about what's going on the desert. We don't have bright lights or big names or great STARS. But what we do have is a team. A team who is hungry. A team who plays for their men and treats them like brothers.

We can't hide anymore. Three straight years of 10+ wins, soon to be four straight. Two consecutive playoff appearances, soon to be three and should have been four. We're no underdog. Our Stars shine bright. We a re a special group in this room.

I cannot forget what happened last season in week 15. We were less than three minutes away from beating Vegas in their house. Maldy threw for damn near 500 yards. It was the first time in my entire time here that we averaged over 5 yards a carry against them. We made them work. We made them struggle. We kept them under constant pressure. And yet somehow they found a way to score before the end of the game. That game cost us the division and a home game in the playoffs. I haven't forgotten. I hold grudges that go deep. Jonny caught two touchdowns that game. Rodolfo with a 64 yard bomb that game. Last season...that was supposed to be ours.

Everything we do is fuel. Here we are again, looking right at Las Vegas...we have the same record and we're in that situation again just a week too soon. But we don't just have our division left to face. Even after this week we have teams on our schedule fighting for their lives. We have to set the tone. We have to dominate every part of the game. We went into Las Vegas and beat their fucking asses in a war that went to overtime. Nearly everyone in here contributed to that. We need that and more.

I don't forget my losses...my setbacks. Neither should you if you were in this room before that game last year. This time, we can decide the fate of the southwest in our house. Do not let them march in here and act like they own this place. Win this game. Win this fucking game. Make a statement this week and show everyone that this year everyone will have no choice but to look up at the Stars and make a wish that they were what we can soon be...champions.

LET'S FUCKING GO!

Talon

THE TEAM ROARS IN PURE MOTIVATION

GM Dougie

(After the team is dismissed.)

Coach, we know there's a shot that the passing attack could be depleted if they don't have Jackson but they their starting QB this game. Is there anything you think we can do with our defense to exploit weaknesses? Any adjustments we could make?

Talon

We test their shaky pass protection.  We send the freaking house.

GM Dougie

I trust you. And I'm hoping Estates makes a big difference for us. Adjust the depth chart accordingly and coach us to a big win!

Lock In

GM Dougie

I'm gonna need a minute after witnessing that.

So I'm sitting there watching the beginning of the game just like any of you as fans would be and then literally on the first play from scrimmage Randall Estates gets hurt and can't return to the game. I'm thinking what dumb luck right? And then we play nearly the best first quarter you could ask for. These games with Las Vegas are just so intense. There's so much back and forth to it all. Its the 2nd time this season we've taken them to overtime and we didn't let it get away like last year. Everyone on the team deserves some kudos to start with.

Lets hand out some flowers. The offensive line only allowed 3 sacks to their insane pressure. Billy Godfrey had a hell of a day in the pancake department. Our running backs gave us the best ground performance against a Vegas team we've ever had. And of course Maldy earns player of the week with his incredible 5 TD zero interception performance. Coach said we wanted to bring the house at them and we sure did. Seven sacks...wow. Aristotle had himself a day coming off the edge from the second level. Gmaes like that are just so crazy. We've gotta finish plays and we have to secure the ball because they forced it out a bit and we were fortunate to recover.

So now we've got a one game lead on the division and we've beaten Vegas twice. We sit in a good position with three games to play but we go from one intense ballgame to another in Cleveland. The city always has a soft spot in my heart...Barrio has some wonderful tacos. And they're an outstanding football team. We are going to have to give it another amazing effort to win and stay on top.

Talon

I know you have love for Cleveland, but its time to give them another major "L" this week and shut up that cocky GM of theirs.

GM Dougie

Oh 100%. That's all talk for the media. Beat their asses please. Oh and would you get me Maldy real quick please?

----

Player.

Of.

The.

Week.

How about that?!

Talon

Good to get it against Vegas and to take the division by the throat.  Lets finish strong and go win that damn championship.

GM Dougie

Couldn't say it better myself. Keep grinding!

----

Coach, just one question. Do we send the house at Cleveland like we did Vegas or based on what they run is it a little better to rush them more strategically?

Talon

Field's ability to run makes me lean towards a more strategic rush.

GM Dougie

I'd prefer that indeed. Set it accordingly and I trust you all in what you do.

Lock In

Talon

TWO WEEKS REMAIN.  FEEL FREE TO LOCK IN FOR BOTH WEEKS, IF YOU WANT TO

GM Dougie

Well, I don't have much to say about that. Its a good game if we ignore the first quarter. We feel too far behind and the game script changed. We got it handed to us. The best we can do is move forward. We simply have to win these last two games to keep the Southwest ours. That's it. Right now all that matters is beating Pearl Harbor.

Talon

We have to right the ship here, can't let that little hiccup derail us

GM Dougie

How bad does the Godfrey injury impact what we want to do on the line?

Talon

You never want to lose a lineman but Fort should be able to step in and help us keep the train rolling.

GM Dougie

Make it clear to everyone...must win games. And that I believe in every single one of them.

Lock In

GM Dougie

I suppose its not so bad having a Star earn player of the week two weeks in a row right? What a game from Estates in an absolutely must win scenario for our team. And everyone played very well. It shows you how tough it is to win games in the HIFL because we played pretty well on both sides of the ball. The offense did a fantastic job. Maldy was firing on all cylinders and had an outstanding completion rate this game. We got three sacks and a big turnover. And despite all that we needed some heroics in the end to seal it. I love this team and their grit.

We have to finish the job this week. We're at home. We can defeat Dallas and seal our destiny as the #2 seed in the the conference and the Southwest division champions. There's no looking forward beyond that right now. What a treat it can be for our home fans to clinch a division in front of them. That's what we want.

Talon

It hasn't always been pretty, but the hard work can pay off right here with the division title. 

GM Dougie

Huge game. We're healthy. I wanted to be sure of that. We didn't get the division last season. Lets not forget that. We're at home. Let's win this fucking game!

Lock In

Talon

PLAYOFF PRESS CONFERENCE -- TALK ABOUT THE END OF THE SEASON, YOUR PLACE IN THE PLAYOFFS, AND HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR CHANCES TO MAKE A RUN AT THE IMPACT BOWL

GM Dougie

I'm delighted to start this off by saying that we're the Southwest division champions! Ownership expected that of us this season and we delivered...capping it off by going undefeated in our division. All that's left now is a deep playoff run and the opportunity to win the damn thing.

We're slotted 2nd in the conference which matters considering the historic #1 seed Winnipeg and their work this year. That defense will test anyone. We undoubtedly feel they will be the team we face before the Impact Bowl. But that quest starts at home for two games starting with Seattle. We certainly feel we're built for this run right now. We are healthy, we have a renewed focus on the run which you need in playoff football. We have a MVP at quarterback who might be the best clutch player in the league. We know teams score points but we feel we can outscore any team any given Sunday. Like I said, I'm just really glad we get to start the postseason on our terms and in our yard.

Talon

We did the work, we earned the homefield, now we execute and take care of business.

GM Dougie

Exactly.

This first game against Seattle. Looking at the numbers I think we match up well. What's something they do very well offensively that we can't afford to make any mistakes with?

Talon

They use Slinger's deep ball to open up lanes to run.  Ackerman ran for over 1200 and Obi ran for over 1100... sneaky duo of running backs that can flip the game on its head.

GM Dougie

Can kirk and Jennings play man well against their receivers? Would it be smart to have modiba roam close more often because he's a proven box safety? Also what do you make of their line in terms of us getting the pressure there to get to him before the deep ball gets thrown?

Talon

I trust our corners against most teams, so I am comfortable with that.

GM Dougie

With it being the playoffs we have to be creative to limit points. It's so important to not see a repeat of last year in Portland.

We're definitely the better team.  Let's get this done coach

Lock In

Talon

HANDLE BUSINESS

GM Dougie

What a thrill ride of a game that was. At the end of the day it was important to send our fans home happy. We absolutely could not repeat a first round exit like last year. We played an incredible offensive game. Our line did a fantastic job setting the run and keeping the sack number clean for Maldy. The pick was really the only blemish and what can you do about that. Defensively, we got 5 sacks, and had key turnovers when they mattered the most. I hate that it came down to the very end but that's playoff football sometimes. Seattle is a great team who did a great job this season and in this game.

We are fortunate to stay home again but we have a tall challenge ahead of us. Vancouver came to town week 12 and embarrassed us. We were down early and couldn't recover. We became a one dimensional team. We did the things we needed to do against Mazza but he got his. Really this game needs a different script and we're the kind of Stars who get motivated off holding these kinds of grudges. You should look forward to seeing a different game this week.

----

Coach, the thing I'm worried about the most is Kirk's availability because we need him. We can't face Mazza with a depleted secondary. If he's unable to go, I trust you to make the appropriate depth chart adjustments. But if you think it will help to run some sets that get Turner or Thurston out there more if you think we're a little weak at the CB depth, I'm not opposed. Having Estates this time around really changes the running dynamic. We have to stop the big plays get this done. Tell the entire team I believe in them all. Lets take this special run to another week.

Lock In

Talon

CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME - HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS.

GM Dougie

Coach,

So we have a historic order ahead of us. We're facing the best team in the league, the champions, their aura alone can be intimidating to lesser. But we've beaten them twice in the regular season over the past few years and two years ago in the conference title game we only lost by a point.

These are different teams now. We HAVE to score on this defense. But moreso, we can't have another two playoff games of giving up 40+. Is there something you see that we can exploit on either side of the ball that we aren't currently doing that might give us an advantage?

Talon

I think our newly revamped run game is going to be an X-factor.  If we can keep them from knowing Maldy is passing it gives us a better shot at converting.   Against their offense, they're deep and well rounded, we just need to win our individual match ups.

GM Dougie

We're healthy so that helps. Being able to play man at times is necessary. I'm not making a big deal at all out of the Owens injury but I feel like anytime a team has had success against them whether it be the lone win this year by Vancouver or historically, its been getting pressure on Patty but also keeping contain so he can't make a spectacular play. Does it advantage us at all to bring extra pressure with our front or are we better off keeping within scheme based on what they like to run?

Talon

The honest concern with more pressure is how many pass catchers they have.  Casey, Lloyd, and Roze are all big play potential and Mustafa inside at TE is just as dangerous, so leaving someone open could be huge, BUT if thats what you feel is best, we can make that adjustment.

GM Dougie

Based off your information I do NOT feel that is best.

So your preference would be to rely on the front four to penetrate and blitz strategically, play appropriate coverage and try not to let them get the chunk plays. Am I reading that correctly?