OAKLAND SILVERBACKS [GM GRAVEDIGGER]

Started by Talon, November 25, 2021, 10:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talon

We're still working on his overall position skill via playing time, so not much else we can do.

GM Gravedigger

I have confidence that he's going to be elite. Guess it's just gonna take some time.

On the other side of the ball, slowing down Sydney's run game is going to be key. If we had Roy at SS this week and got him down in the box more would that help?

Talon

That might.  We play them how we played Vegas' run game and we hopefully bottle it up early.

GM Gravedigger

Can't find any fault in your gameplan vs LV, so I trust you'll work your magic again. Good luck, Coach.

--------------

Miss Dossey, would Mr. Caesar like to meet this week?

Talon

GM Gravedigger, I've been looking at our goals this season and where we are as a team right now and I am just shaking my head because if we were in at least 2nd place in 6 out of 8 divisions.  However, we are not currently in the "if it ended today" playoffs bracket, we are instead the first team out in the west. 

Keeping on this path though, I still see us making the playoffs, especially if you hit your season-goal of sweeping those pesky rivals of ours to the south.  The Long Beach series could prove to be the difference in the playoffs and missing out, and missing out would mean you and I have to have a serious heart to heart in the off-season before I can decide to extend you an offer for a new contract.

Good luck GM Gravedigger, I want to see you succeed so we can run it back long term.

GM Gravedigger

I respect your position. I want nothing more than to be judged on my merits, and plan on earning that new deal. We'll speak again at the end of the year.

————

Let's get Coach back for a moment.

————-

Coach, getting Teal might not be the home run we wanted, but he allows us to get Roy back to SS. I think this should help us get that swag back on D we've been struggling to maintain...

Talon

Hey, Teal has been trapped in a bad team for a long time, he could pop off for us too.  I heard through the grape vine you made a call to try to get my boy, so respect. I appreciate the effort.  Maybe in the off-season he'll force his way out of that hell hole.

GM Gravedigger

It never got past a preliminary call, but I had to at least reach out. Let's see how the new safety look does for us this week...

————-

Roberts to SS1
Teal to FS1

All other decisions by coaching staff

LOCK IN

GM Gravedigger

Really solid win for us. Sydney is a legit team and one we still look up at in the standings. Close game throughout the first half, then we had a great third quarter to put it away. Holding their run game in check was huge for us. They ran wild the first time we played. This time we held it down and it helped our defense get the job done. Offensively we weren't spectacular, but efficient and made plays when needed. It was a nice surprise to see Gibson get those two touchdowns. The more guys we have that can make plays like that, the better. Dial and Thomson didn't break anything huge out there, but kept the ball moving on the ground. Keenan played a good game. We only had the one big play in the pass game, but he had a good completion percentage and we'll take a 3/0 td to int ratio any day. Pitts did a great job at corner. Two picks is game changing. Our pass rush was good as well. 3 sacks and 6 hurries aren't earth shattering numbers, but combined with good secondary play it's a recipe for success. We played well this game. Very good team effort.

The way Keenan has bounced back from his concussion issues, I am going to hold off on doubting what he says about how his head feels. Migraines are no joke, but if he says it's not from hits, I choose to believe him. Kid is a warrior.

We head to Michigan this week. It's a damn shame Corrales got hurt the way he did. I don't wish that on anyone. But we can't take this game lightly. We still need to go in there, play our game, and get the job done. We've barely made it into playoff position to this point. With seven games left, some of them tough ones, we need to be sharp and pick up all the wins we can get...

-----------

Great win, Coach. Might be the best overall effort from our team all season...

Talon

I agree.  If we can build on it, we might peak at the right time and get hot.  I'm here for it.

Talon

Anything for me this week?

GM Gravedigger

Sorry, got distracted by some posts GM Powers made online about some red head...

I think we're good. This is a must win as far as I'm concerned. Just unleash hell on those guys...

Talon

Hell yeah, lets go get them. I'm good to go.

GM Gravedigger

Let's do it.

—————-

All decisions by coaching staff

LOCK IN

GM Gravedigger

Great win this week. It was one we needed to get, and the guys went out there and got the job done. The passing game was tremendous. I think it's safe to say that KD not only still has his swagger, but the game is back to the level he was at for most of his career. If he's not a candidate for MVP at this point then I don't know who is. Getting the big pass plays from Cash and Knowledge really opens things up for us offensively. Those two young guys are going to be big time stars in this league. Defensively we got solid pressure on their pass game, got a nice interception from Teal, and a great job from McCool and Pitts with the passes defended. This was an all-around great team effort.

It doesn't get easy this week. Tough matchup with the two time defending champs. It still pisses me off that we didn't finish the job in the playoffs two years ago, but we can't dwell on that game as an organization. We need to focus on the present. GM Cory and Coach Wright not only have a talented squad, but they've instilled a great level of confidence in their team. Talented guys playing with confidence is a dangerous mix for the rest of the league. I have that level of confidence in our guys. We're starting to feel like that team two years ago. If we can play at that level, we can leave the field this week as winners...

------------

Great game, Coach, but the real test is this week...

Talon

Hey, we knock them off, we prove we can take anyone.

GM Gravedigger

Damn right. Getting pressure on Owen will be key. We know he can do damage if we give him time. I think having Roy back at SS will be as helpful in this game as any other.

How does our offense match up with their defense?

Talon

We have the 7th ranked pass attack. They are 6th vs the pass.   We have  the 24th run game, they are 27th vs the run.   We are 9th in scoring, they are 2nd in defensive points against.

Strength on Strength.  Same goes the other way.  they are 6th in scoring, we are 7th in defense.   They are 5ht in passing, we are 9th vs the pass.   We have a better run D, and they have a weak run game.

GM Gravedigger

I trust in our guys and you and the rest of the staff. You guys will make a statement this week...

———————-

All decisions by coaching staff

LOCK IN

Talon

THE PRESS WAITS ON PINS AND NEEDLES

GM Gravedigger

As the media awaits GM Gravedigger's arrival, he is seemingly lost. He's wandering the halls of the stadium, not knowing how to get to his destination. Reminiscent of legendary rock band Spinal Tap in their classic documentary, he's made many wrong turns and had to backtrack over and over. What makes this an even odder scenario is that this is happening in GM Gravedigger's home stadium...

------------------

My apologies for the delay. Great win for this team today. I don't know if I'd consider this a statement win, but it is a signal that we are in fact a legit threat to win it all this year. Statistically it wasn't our greatest game, but we held them in check, forcing field goal attempts multiple times instead of giving up 7, and made enough plays on offense to get it done. The way the game was played felt like a playoff game, and I fully expect to have to run it back if we want to win it all.

I'm glad Adrian got to showcase himself on a big stage. He's a great player and has been since day one here in Oakland. It's time the world took notice...

Big divisional game this week. Long Beach has been a rival of the Silverbacks for a long time, and the crowd will definitely be hostile. Lawrence is a guy who can go off for a big game at any time, so we need to approach this game just like Winnipeg. We need to prep for every game like it's the biggest of the year...

----------

Great win, Coach. Hard not to look at us as a top contender at this point.

Talon

I agree, but it also sucks that one little blip on our schedule can send us down the standings with our division so tight this year, no time to get comfortable, no rest for the wicked, man.

GM Gravedigger

Agreed. We need to keep our foot on the gas for the rest of the season.

Encarnacion's rushing gives LB a solid balance, but if we keep the pressure up and don't allow him to get into the open field I don't see their WR corps beating Pitts and McCool.

I think the whole world knows KD is the engine to our offense, but are there any matchups we can exploit in this game?

Talon

Defensively they are really well rounded.   They're 4th in scoring defense, 2nd in yards allowed, 1st vs the pass, and 19th vs the run, but even then its at only 123 yards per game. 

Not really a spot to key on unless we get some home run-runs from our backs.

GM Gravedigger

I trust the boys to be sharp out there.

Keep grinding, Coach. Gotta stack up those wins...

—————

LOCK IN

GM Gravedigger

Not our day. Long Beach came out strong and played a solid 60 minutes. I don't think we played badly by any means. Offense was decent, and defense made some plays. We just ran into a talented team, on their home field, that played better than we did. I'm not discouraged by this loss one bit.

The 3 way tie for second in our division is a wild scenario. One of us isn't going to get in, probably need to get to 11-5 to make the playoffs. And I don't see any of our teams slowing down as the regular season winds down. This is going to be a battle right to the last game.

Obviously a big game with Pearl Harbor this week. Owens is having a great year at QB for them, and it's not shocking at all that Shawn Simon is great again this year. They don't run as much as some other teams, but Johnson is effective when given carries. They are a tough team, but we have them at home, and we need to defend our turf. The end of this season is going to be fun...

------------

Hate taking the L, Coach, but I didn't think the guys played a bad game. Just wasn't our week...

Talon

...yeah, margin for error is razor thin and we had a few more drive that had to end in a punt.

If we convert that one field goal drive into a touchdown, it means we're driving for the win at the end of the game after we recovered the onside kick; but yeah.  The team is tough and ready to keep fighting.

GM Gravedigger

Yep, and we can't let up. I feel like Pearl Harbor's offensive strategy fits our defensive style a little better. The teams that run the ball more are hurting us more than the passing teams. If we get Adrian and company loose this week, I think we'll be in good shape.

What's the strategy to contain Simon? We gonna cover him straight up or try to get our CB's some help and double him?

Talon

We will 100% shade help to Simon's side of the field.  You don't disrespect a baller like that.

GM Gravedigger

At this point in the year I think we know how we want to do things, and it's all about execution. Go get it done, Coach.

--------------

LOCK IN

GM Gravedigger

Lost again.... we've put ourselves in a corner now. We can't afford to lose again. If things fall our way we might be able to get into the playoffs going 2-1 and ending with 10 wins, but more likely we need to run the table and get to 11. We gotta win. That's all there is to it...

------------

Coach, we have to win. I don't think there's much more to say than that... The guys have to get it done.

Talon

This is dog eat dog.  They need to prove to us they want it bad enough.  Lets go.

GM Gravedigger

Yeah, no room for error. And if they can't get it done, it gives us a chance to see what changes will need to be made. One way or another these last weeks will be enlightening for the future of this team...

--------------

LOCK IN

GM Gravedigger

I said last week we needed three wins... we got the first. Not the sharpest we've played all year, but a good team effort. We made plays through the air, Dial ran the ball well, and we got a nice level of pressure out of our defense. No complaints about the effort. We got it done.

I understand where Keenan was coming from with his comments. He wants to play in the playoffs and get his second ring. But whether we deserve it or not, we win and we're in.

Portland this week. Huge game for both teams. We're still on the outside looking in, and they're holding on to a close division race. They can run, and that's given us issues, but I expect full effort and efficiency from all of our guys this week. We control our destiny now...

------------

Good win, Coach. Still need two more, but had to get the first of the three to keep this thing going.

How good is the Portland run game?

Talon

They're ranked 15th, middle of the pack at about 127 yards per game.

GM Gravedigger

We should be able to contain that. Do whatever you need to do, Coach. To paraphrase what someone once said, "I GM, you Coach"... I've trusted your judgement for three seasons, I see zero reason to stop now.

------------------

LOCK IN

GM Gravedigger

Survive and advance, the goal is still in play. I don't know what the tiebreaker scenario is, so we need to get the win and assure ourselves of a playoff spot. Not long ago Long Beach played a really nice game and beat us. I hope that defeat is fresh in the heads of our guys... remember that game and use it as motivation. Realistically we can't lose again. Not to make the playoffs, not to win a ring. This is what competitors play for. I believe in this team.

—————-

Coach, keep the train rolling. Let's prep for the playoffs at this time next week.

LOCK IN

GM Gravedigger

1. What was the best moment for you this season, and what was the worst?

In a season of ups and downs, beating Winnipeg was a high spot. It showed we can get it done against anyone in this league. Obviously not enough high spots, though, as we missed the playoffs, and the final play is one that will go down as a worst moment for me. I decided to roll the dice on a rookie kicker, and it, to put it bluntly, bit us right in the ass.

2. How does it feel to be done playing football while other teams advance to the playoffs?

It sucks. Every time you're eliminated, from not making the playoffs all the way to losing the Impact Bowl, it sucks each and every time. Winning is the goal, and we failed.

3. Who was your teams MVP this season?

I'd have to say KD. He battled back from what looked like could be a career ending concussion issue, and threw 43 tds and had us on the brink of the playoffs. He truly is the engine that makes us go.

4. How would you evaluate your coaches performance this season?

I think they did a very good job. They worked with the roster that they were given, and put guys into good spots to succeed. I have zero concerns about the coaching that our team had this year.

5. How would you evaluate your own performance this season?

I didn't build a playoff team. It's on me. Maybe my decision on kicker was ill advised. Maybe it was going too young at certain positions and not mixing in enough veterans with those young players. Whatever the root cause was, it's on me. I failed.

6. Do you expect to be back next season, with this club?

I want to be back with this team, but in the end that decision isn't up to me. If given the opportunity, I will be here.

7. What is your biggest take away from this season?

That there's a championship foundation here in Oakland. It's need a bit more building, but it's here...

8. What was this team missing?

If I had to pick an aspect that we were lacking, I'd say stout run defenders. We weren't as good against the run as we should have been. And of course kicking. Other than that I think we were pretty solid acros the board.

Talon

...man, the kick was to send it to OT, so I can't say we win if he makes the kick, but the kid lost us the game and its a hard pill to swallow.

GM Gravedigger

That's on me, Coach. I decided to go with an undrafted rookie, not knowing if he could handle the job. He didn't. I am sorry that I didn't provide you and the guys with a competent kicker that could get the job done.

Talon

Shit happens man.  We use that fuel for next year and we don't let Long Beach sweep us.  The Cali-Cup or whatever its called doesnt get the hype that the stupid belt buckle does or the Florida Cup; but that rivalry means a lot to me and to guys like KD.  We're coming to knock them off and climb back to the top of this damn division next season, you best believe.

GM Gravedigger

I love the fire, Coach. No excuses, just a desire to go out there next year and kick ass. That's why you're the man for the job.

Hopefully we are working together again next year... if so, is a run stopping DT still sit at the top of the list of needs?

Talon

If the roster is the same next year, absolutely.  I don't even know whos expiring or moving on, but yeah right now we need a high quality DT to help stop the run and even just apply interior pressure to help free up Hagan on the edge.  Obviously you know my first choice at the position.

GM Gravedigger

He's high on my list too.

What did you think of Akin's play this year? Is he a worthy CB3?

Talon

Honest opinion on him in our system is that he's not a great fit. He's better suited for a zone-heavy defense and with Coach Freese running the secondary, we are definitely more of a man-defense team. I think he'd do better in a different system.

GM Gravedigger

I want to switch to offense for a moment. What do you think of our guards? I feel like that's the weakest part of our offense.

Talon

I disagree. I think they are very good, not elite, but they hold their own.

GM Gravedigger

Ok, I'm not glad I got your perspective on this.

What do you think is the weakest part of our offense?

GM Gravedigger

I realize I misspoke. I am glad I got your perspective.

Talon

COACH TARR RAISES THE PEOPLE'S EYEBROW